The Student Room Group

Which type of protein should I use?

Hi!

I’ve been working out for about 5 months now, going at least 3 times a week and I was wondering what type of protein I should be using. I know I don’t have to use it, but I would like to enhance my performance and the results I get from it.
I don’t know the difference between whey and impact protein, for example, and regardless of how much I Google I don’t seem to get an answer of which is better for beginners. So thought I would ask here!
Which protein would you recommend for someone that is starting to take protein? And what companies do you recommend buying said protein from?
Thankyou :smile:
so i would personally say to get protein through natural resources - shrimp, chicken, tofu, lamb, nut butters, yoghurts with loads of protein. try to eat protein in every meal and at the same time cut down on carbs a little if you want to burn some weight and ur muscles to stands out and in general ur body look more defined.
Reply 2
Original post by 22Cullen11
Hi!

I’ve been working out for about 5 months now, going at least 3 times a week and I was wondering what type of protein I should be using. I know I don’t have to use it, but I would like to enhance my performance and the results I get from it.
I don’t know the difference between whey and impact protein, for example, and regardless of how much I Google I don’t seem to get an answer of which is better for beginners. So thought I would ask here!
Which protein would you recommend for someone that is starting to take protein? And what companies do you recommend buying said protein from?
Thankyou :smile:

Hey! I was in a similar situation to you, and as the person above said it would be good if you can get the protein through natural sources but I've recently purchased Whey Protein and been using it for 2 weeks or so
I'd say just go for any whey protein. Doesn't matter where its from particularly, as long as the flavour isn't horrendous. The Myprotein stuff is always a safe bet but there are better deals around depending on budget and calorie/protein ratio etc. I've been using whey protein alongside my diet for about a year now and it's been really helpful for just getting the last 30g or so of protein in if I'm short for the day

You could consider other types of protein, like caesin, but whey gets the job done. Impact protein is just a brand of whey btw
Whey protein is fine (assuming you're not vegan).
Whey protein would be the go-to. I would look for a protein with a high protein (minimum 21 grams) to calorie ratio. You also want something in with as little sweeteners as possible. It also depends on your budget as you can end up paying lots of money for good quality protein powders. MyProtein stuff just tastes artificial and grainy so unless you can chug it down, don't go for it. At the minute, I have Optimum Nutrition and clear whey isolate from Bulk. Other good brands are Per4m and Kinetica
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest