The Student Room Group

how to lose weight healthily???

i’m a girl, 17 nearly 18, my height is around 160cm (5 foot 3) and i weigh around 60kg (9.5 stone). according to the bmi calculator this is a healthy weight but i honestly feel so fat compared to everyone else.

does anyone have any realistic and non-judgmental advice as to how i could lose weight. i’ve never been to the gym and would definitely consider it if i knew what i should do in order to lose some weight. im also open to making changes to my diet but again i’m not sure how to start.

if anyone could share advice/tips on what has worked for them i would be so grateful
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by annonnymouus
i’m a girl, 17 nearly 18, my height is around 160cm (5 foot 3) and i weigh around 60kg (9.5 stone). according to the bmi calculator this is a healthy weight but i honestly feel so fat compared to everyone else.

does anyone have any realistic and non-judgmental advice as to how i could lose weight. i’ve never been to the gym and would definitely consider it if i knew what i should do in order to lose some weight. im also open to making changes to my diet but again i’m not sure how to start.

if anyone could share advice/tips on what has worked for them i would be so grateful

Okay, the first thing I would suggest is doing strength training and working on a positive body image. Strength training, such as lifting weights and stuff, can help a lot with simply feeling healthier and stronger in your body - and it doesn't necessarily mean becoming a huge hunk of meat; If you plan your workout correctly, you can still maintain the body type that you're aiming for. There are plenty of pre-made workout routines on the internet for different body types and these would be good as a basis.

In terms of dieting, if you want to lose weight the simple fact is you need to be in a calorie deficit. This means eating fewer calories than you burn in a given day - that's the calories you burn doing exercise as well as your BMR (base metabolic rate, or the calories you burn just by being alive). For me, a decent cut is around 1300-1600 calories, but this can vary drastically depending on the person. There are a few BMR calculators you can find online to get a basis for how much you should be eating each day. However, it is incredibly important not to be too hard on yourself. Losing weight is not just about the physical aspects, it's also about becoming healthier mentally. Self-improvement tends to be 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards, and I have found reading a few books has helped me a lot (mainly, I would recommend reading 'Atomic Habits', this can be useful both for your exercise and also studying!). There are plenty of apps that can help track the calories you consume each day and the macros you eat alongside it - a good one that is commonly used is MyFitnessPal. If you're also doing strength training as I suggested, make sure to keep your protein high so you don't experience muscle decay.

I hope this advice has been useful, and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask! There are plenty of people out there willing to support you and you're not alone in your struggles :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Juno89
Okay, the first thing I would suggest is doing strength training and working on a positive body image. Strength training, such as lifting weights and stuff, can help a lot with simply feeling healthier and stronger in your body - and it doesn't necessarily mean becoming a huge hunk of meat; If you plan your workout correctly, you can still maintain the body type that you're aiming for. There are plenty of pre-made workout routines on the internet for different body types and these would be good as a basis.

In terms of dieting, if you want to lose weight the simple fact is you need to be in a calorie deficit. This means eating fewer calories than you burn in a given day - that's the calories you burn doing exercise as well as your BMR (base metabolic rate, or the calories you burn just by being alive). For me, a decent cut is around 1300-1600 calories, but this can vary drastically depending on the person. There are a few BMR calculators you can find online to get a basis for how much you should be eating each day. However, it is incredibly important not to be too hard on yourself. Losing weight is not just about the physical aspects, it's also about becoming healthier mentally. Self-improvement tends to be 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards, and I have found reading a few books has helped me a lot (mainly, I would recommend reading 'Atomic Habits', this can be useful both for your exercise and also studying!). There are plenty of apps that can help track the calories you consume each day and the macros you eat alongside it - a good one that is commonly used is MyFitnessPal. If you're also doing strength training as I suggested, make sure to keep your protein high so you don't experience muscle decay.

I hope this advice has been useful, and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask! There are plenty of people out there willing to support you and you're not alone in your struggles :smile:

omg thank you so so much ! this is really helpful and already such a good start. i’ll look into some pre made workout routines to start with, do you know where i could find any? i’ll also look in to calculating my bmr. also, what are “macros”? (sorry if that sounds stupid lol i am so new to this)
omg thank you so so much ! this is really helpful and already such a good start. i’ll look into some pre made workout routines to start with, do you know where i could find any? i’ll also look in to calculating my bmr. also, what are “macros”? (sorry if that sounds stupid lol i am so new to this)

Macros = macronutrients, so carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.

The best way to maintain and increase muscle tissue while losing weight, as the other poster suggested, is to work out and consume more protein than you need.

In general, you should have no more than a third of your diet being fat, about 10-15% being protein, and the rest being carbohydrates. Carbohydrates include starch (which is found in pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, etc), hidden/intrinsic sugars (found in fruit and vegetables) and free sugars (sucrose/table sugar, fructose) that can be added to foods. You should avoid more than 30g (~120 calories) of free sugars, and the rest of the carbohydrates should come from starchy foods and fruit/vegetables.

If you need 2000 calories in a day, you would have no more than ~650 calories of fat (mostly unsaturated), 200-300 calories of protein, and around 1000 or more calories in carbohydrates. In a caloric deficit, you would reduce your fat and carbohydrate intake and maintain or increase your protein intake. To do this healthily, I would also recommend maintaining your micronutrient (vitamin and mineral) intake, so you can replace some of your starchy carbohydrates with more fruit and vegetables, and then you can replace some of your fats with protein.

Also, don't just eat one vegetable like broccoli or peas to get your vegetables in. A variety of vegetables in good quantities will give you all of the vitamins and minerals that you need. By doing this, you'll be able to get a good amount of energy while losing weight and staying healthy. I hope this helps in terms of diet.

Edit: The Eatwell Guide is also a great resource.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4

Lose weight to get down to what target?

Quick Reply

Latest