The Student Room Group

did bad in my gcse mocks need help

got like 5s in science and 1 mark of a pass in maths and English language and did bad on the rest. If I start revising now until GCSE would i be able to pass everything
Original post by ertr
got like 5s in science and 1 mark of a pass in maths and English language and did bad on the rest. If I start revising now until GCSE would i be able to pass everything

Hi @ertr

Well done on your mock grades.

It is difficult to say yes you will pass or no you won't pass if you start revising now.

All you can do is your best, while protecting your mental health.

It is no secret that in order to do well in your GCSEs you need to be revising effectively and consistently. You're not far off, which I hope is a relief! I would encourage you to take some time to get organised and spend some time figuring out what revision methods will work best for you. Don't just rely on what your friends are doing or what your teachers tell you, everyone learns in different ways so what works for one person may be really ineffective for another. I spent a lot of time on YouTube watching various types of 'How to revise effectively' videos. From these videos, I picked some techniques that worked and avoided the techniques that don't work. But be careful not to fall into a rabbit hole of YouTube videos because that can lead to procrastination!

Another tip is don't over do it. Just do short bursts of revision. A little, but every day.

I hope some of this is helpful!

Good luck:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by ertr

Depends how your revise. Which exam board?
Reply 3
Original post by Tulipbloom
Depends how your revise. Which exam board?

maths is edexel and science,English is aqa
Original post by ertr
maths is edexel and science,English is aqa

Hey I also did Edexcel maths and triple science! Unfortunately, I don't think I can offer advise on AQA English. For Maths here as some tips:

Write down the formulas you need to know!

Short notes on concepts (sometimes a step by step guide on how to do things such as transformations can help!)

Do all the past papers and note mark scheme answers for the questions you can't answer. Note that the same questions come up time and time again

Know your basics. For ex: your algebraic rules, your power and roots, LCM and HCF etc

Never erase your working out even if you think it's wrong. You don't necessarily have to reach the right answer to gain some marks. You can provide several working outs actually!

Sciences:

Print your spec sheets and use this as a checklist

Short notes are the way to go (ensure that you meet each spec point)

Do all PPQs you can find and add the answers to your notes (again the same Qs come up time and time again).

Create analogies to help you understand (don't memorize).

Don't be afraid to write a lot. One thing I encouraged my younger peers at school was to write everything you know about the topic if you don't completely understand the question. For eg: there was a question on what happens to protein in the stomach. Simply bullet point everything you can remember: HCl, protease/pepsin, protein into AA, churning, breaking down/digestion of it, optimum pH = acidic. Things like that. It's usually the most basic of points that people miss.

For physics do note that they actually give you the formula sheet so a lot of the equations = no need to be memorized.
Hope this helps

Reply 5
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @ertr

Well done on your mock grades.

It is difficult to say yes you will pass or no you won't pass if you start revising now.

All you can do is your best, while protecting your mental health.

It is no secret that in order to do well in your GCSEs you need to be revising effectively and consistently. You're not far off, which I hope is a relief! I would encourage you to take some time to get organised and spend some time figuring out what revision methods will work best for you. Don't just rely on what your friends are doing or what your teachers tell you, everyone learns in different ways so what works for one person may be really ineffective for another. I spent a lot of time on YouTube watching various types of 'How to revise effectively' videos. From these videos, I picked some techniques that worked and avoided the techniques that don't work. But be careful not to fall into a rabbit hole of YouTube videos because that can lead to procrastination!

Another tip is don't over do it. Just do short bursts of revision. A little, but every day.

I hope some of this is helpful!

Good luck:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

also remember that gcses grades ultimately don't define the type of life you'll have when you're older. Of course they matter if you want to pursue a highly academic course at Uni and it helps to have good grades. But remember, not everything in life relies on gcse grades and school and there are billions of people who still live a good life and work the job they wanted without doing amazingly in school
Reply 6
Original post by ertr

im sure u will, provided like you say - "if u start revising now".
I'm in yr 13, and when I was in yr 11 for english I scraped a grade 6 (just) in that december mock.
I revised every. single. day.
And managed to get a grade 9. Proudest moment of my life.

My advice for English language is genuinely force yourself to do at least one question a day, and if you find it difficult, don't focus on time yet - it's only january/feb. Focus more on quality answers, and if that means you have to waffle to reach your meat then it's ok for now. I also binged Mr Salles on youtube cos he deserves a medal for his info and advice. As you get closer to exams, (before Easter I'd say), then focus on time management and be horrendously strict with yourself. If you don't finish your sentence... then you don't finish it. Review your answer and get teachers to mark it and annotate your own feedback. Then keep trying. I promise, FROM EXPERIENCE, it legit works. Good luck ❤️ and if u need more help, I'm here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending