The Student Room Group

Gas chromatography?

Can gas chromatography separate liquids mixtures?
Reply 1
Yes, if the liquid can be vapourised :smile:.

The 'gas' in the name refers to the fact that it is a gas that is the mobile phase.
Original post by Qwertish
Yes, if the liquid can be vapourised :smile:.

The 'gas' in the name refers to the fact that it is a gas that is the mobile phase.

Yh I was thinking about that however I stumbled across a question that asked why are dyes not usually used in GC and the answer was that dyes are liquids, would something happen to them that doesn't allow for them to be vaporised ?
Reply 3
Original post by mohamedsuleman94
Yh I was thinking about that however I stumbled across a question that asked why are dyes not usually used in GC and the answer was that dyes are liquids, would something happen to them that doesn't allow for them to be vaporised ?

Because usually dyes aren't really liquids, lol. They tend to be suspensions of solid particles in a solvent (usually water, but can be an oil (e.g., oil paints)). A suspension can't be vapourised, if you try, you'll get a vapour of the solvent (if it's water, oil can't be vapourised because it's too thick) and a mist of the solid.
Original post by Qwertish
Because usually dyes aren't really liquids, lol. They tend to be suspensions of solid particles in a solvent (usually water, but can be an oil (e.g., oil paints)). A suspension can't be vapourised, if you try, you'll get a vapour of the solvent (if it's water, oil can't be vapourised because it's too thick) and a mist of the solid.

Oh thanks

Quick Reply

Latest