The Student Room Group

Creating flashcard for practical (Sciences) - HELP!

Hi, I’m doing triple science (AQA) and I would really appreciate it if someone who has done their GCSE’s could tell me how to revise for the required practicals as I’m really stuck.

I’m starting by creating a Chromatography flashcard for the practical as flashcards really help me. I’ve attached my flashcard below and would like it if someone could provide feedback - just tell me if the flashcard has the info I need, what could I add, etc. I just need someone to tell me if the flashcard is good.

https://ibb.co/SwP0tMS - image of flashcard.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sazzysz7
Hi, I’m doing triple science (AQA) and I would really appreciate it if someone who has done their GCSE’s could tell me how to revise for the required practicals as I’m really stuck.

I’m starting by creating a Chromatography flashcard for the practical as flashcards really help me. I’ve attached my flashcard below and would like it if someone could provide feedback - just tell me if the flashcard has the info I need, what could I add, etc. I just need someone to tell me if the flashcard is good.

https://ibb.co/SwP0tMS - image of flashcard.

Hey, sorry it says the page doesn't exist? Might be best just to attach using that little image icon on top of the TSR message box, straight from your PC :smile:.
Personally, I took notes from the Free Science Lessons videos, as they're based off the official recommended way to do the practicals. Blurting is a good technique for memorising (write down as much as possible and then see what you missed, repeat every so often).

The major thing in those six-markers (according to the mark scheme) is to have a method that works well and without error (e.g. in chromatography something people forget is to put a lid on top), and that is clear. So it's worth getting someone to read through your 'blurts' (or flashcards if you just copy it) to see if it makes sense.

I personally then would do another flashcard for stuff relating to the practical: e.g. the fact that paper is called the stationary phase, and why you use a pencil line so it doesn't move up with the solvent isn't part of the practical, but you do need to know.

That makes it much easier to organize your cards and easier to absorb info. Hope that helps! If you want to reply with the image again, I'll take a look :smile:.

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Hi, thank you so much for your reply! It means a lot to me :smile:

Yes, I’ve been looking at the FreeScienceLesson videos and I must say that they are extremely useful.

Also, thank you for telling me about possibly creating another flashcard that has all the other info about the practical, that sounds like a great plan!
If you don’t mind, could you answer a couple of questions for me:

For all the information you put on your flashcards, did you get that info from the Free Science Lessons videos or did you use another textbook, etc?

Did you also get the additional info (e.g the paper is called the stationery phase) from these videos /textbooks too?

I’ll attach the image of the flashcard I created for the Chromatography Required Practical. It would be highly appreciated if you could provide feedback on the flashcard - I just need to know if it’s good.

Also, for practicals when creating flashcards how did you add the Control/Independent/Dependant variables? And did you mention the risk factors, etc on your flashcards too?

All your support/guidance is highly appreciated!

https://ibb.co/1qTcL4B

(It won’t let me upload the image straight from my gallery, that’s why I have to use a link - hopefully it works this time!)
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi, thank you so much for your reply! It means a lot to me :smile:

Yes, I’ve been looking at the FreeScienceLesson videos and I must say that they are extremely useful.

Also, thank you for telling me about possibly creating another flashcard that has all the other info about the practical, that sounds like a great plan!
If you don’t mind, could you answer a couple of questions for me:

For all the information you put on your flashcards, did you get that info from the Free Science Lessons videos or did you use another textbook, etc?

Did you also get the additional info (e.g the paper is called the stationery phase) from these videos /textbooks too?

I’ll attach the image of the flashcard I created for the Chromatography Required Practical. It would be highly appreciated if you could provide feedback on the flashcard - I just need to know if it’s good.

Also, for practicals when creating flashcards how did you add the Control/Independent/Dependant variables? And did you mention the risk factors, etc on your flashcards too?

All your support/guidance is highly appreciated!

https://ibb.co/1qTcL4B

(It won’t let me upload the image straight from my gallery, that’s why I have to use a link - hopefully it works this time!)

Hey that's great, glad to be of assistance!
So in regard to number 1, I did just use Free Science Lessons, they generally have all the info you need. I was actually home-schooled for my GCSEs, and the only resources I used to learn the sciences were Free Science Lessons, past papers and the CGP grade 8-9 question booklets (which just have loads of questions in: incidentally, very worth a look if you like that sort of thing.). I will say that on occasion, there was something that the videos missed, which is why it's important to do past papers and such. If that happened I just noted down what the mark scheme wanted onto my flashcard. That only happened a couple of times though, so overall the videos are brilliant even for top grades.
Specifically regarding practicals, they're exceedingly good, because sometimes practicals can be quite time-consuming so they're hard to memorise, but FSL showed them very concisely.

To number 2, I would definitely say so. Things like stationary phases and such are all mentioned. Leading on to your last question, where necessary they do mention control variables, but they don't often mention the other variables/risk factors.
This will depend on you, but personally I didn't note down any risk factors, and only noted control variables anyway. If you train yourself to know the difference/risks it really helps anyway: e.g. for chemistry practicals most of the risks are acid (goggles) and other similar things that you can generally recall without flashcards.
Variables again, you can deduce just from memorising the practical: e.g. in the photosynthesis practical for AQA biology, you're changing the light output, which causes an increase in bubbles (which you measure). Therefore the former must be the independent variable, the latter the dependent. And then for control variables it's often common sense, e.g. use an LED because a halogen (which get hot) might effect photosynthesis.

So if you're able to think like that, I would recommend trying to just sort of develop your general knowledge from which you can deduce the variables/risks. Much easier than memorising completely, especially as there may sometimes be other problems not noted.

Last but not least, onto your flashcard. First off, it looks great! I like the way you've laid it out clearly and described what's going on. For some hopefully constructive criticism (you might know this anyway) I'd say:
You might need to memorise the RF value formula (at least if you're in Higher). I don't know if you want to note that down on another piece of paper?
I would try and note that the line should be parallel to the paper, e.g. you don't want a wonky line. Also try and place the dots of ink evenly onto the line, e.g. 2cm apart, using a capillary tube. If you've not heard of these before, they take a tiny amount of the ink in so you don't get a massive lump on the paper like you would using a syringe or something.
And finally, it's worth memorising that you need to draw a line to mark the solvent front. So when you take the chromatography paper out of the water, you'll see it's damp up to a certain point from the solvent. You ought to mark that with a pencil line, because that distance is used in calculating the RF value.

Other than that, that's a brilliant flashcard! Please note that, all the things I've mentioned are not vitally important: just using your current flashcard would give you high marks, as the mark scheme requires a 'series of steps that are clear and produce an accurate result'. So that flashcard is really good - just a few small things you might want to add :smile:.

So, I think that's it! Apologies once more for the massively long post, but I think I've included everything you need to know haha. Of course, feel free to reply/PM with any further questions, I'll happily take a look :biggrin: Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by {Moss}
Hey that's great, glad to be of assistance!
So in regard to number 1, I did just use Free Science Lessons, they generally have all the info you need. I was actually home-schooled for my GCSEs, and the only resources I used to learn the sciences were Free Science Lessons, past papers and the CGP grade 8-9 question booklets (which just have loads of questions in: incidentally, very worth a look if you like that sort of thing.). I will say that on occasion, there was something that the videos missed, which is why it's important to do past papers and such. If that happened I just noted down what the mark scheme wanted onto my flashcard. That only happened a couple of times though, so overall the videos are brilliant even for top grades.
Specifically regarding practicals, they're exceedingly good, because sometimes practicals can be quite time-consuming so they're hard to memorise, but FSL showed them very concisely.

To number 2, I would definitely say so. Things like stationary phases and such are all mentioned. Leading on to your last question, where necessary they do mention control variables, but they don't often mention the other variables/risk factors.
This will depend on you, but personally I didn't note down any risk factors, and only noted control variables anyway. If you train yourself to know the difference/risks it really helps anyway: e.g. for chemistry practicals most of the risks are acid (goggles) and other similar things that you can generally recall without flashcards.
Variables again, you can deduce just from memorising the practical: e.g. in the photosynthesis practical for AQA biology, you're changing the light output, which causes an increase in bubbles (which you measure). Therefore the former must be the independent variable, the latter the dependent. And then for control variables it's often common sense, e.g. use an LED because a halogen (which get hot) might effect photosynthesis.

So if you're able to think like that, I would recommend trying to just sort of develop your general knowledge from which you can deduce the variables/risks. Much easier than memorising completely, especially as there may sometimes be other problems not noted.

Last but not least, onto your flashcard. First off, it looks great! I like the way you've laid it out clearly and described what's going on. For some hopefully constructive criticism (you might know this anyway) I'd say:
You might need to memorise the RF value formula (at least if you're in Higher). I don't know if you want to note that down on another piece of paper?
I would try and note that the line should be parallel to the paper, e.g. you don't want a wonky line. Also try and place the dots of ink evenly onto the line, e.g. 2cm apart, using a capillary tube. If you've not heard of these before, they take a tiny amount of the ink in so you don't get a massive lump on the paper like you would using a syringe or something.
And finally, it's worth memorising that you need to draw a line to mark the solvent front. So when you take the chromatography paper out of the water, you'll see it's damp up to a certain point from the solvent. You ought to mark that with a pencil line, because that distance is used in calculating the RF value.

Other than that, that's a brilliant flashcard! Please note that, all the things I've mentioned are not vitally important: just using your current flashcard would give you high marks, as the mark scheme requires a 'series of steps that are clear and produce an accurate result'. So that flashcard is really good - just a few small things you might want to add :smile:.

So, I think that's it! Apologies once more for the massively long post, but I think I've included everything you need to know haha. Of course, feel free to reply/PM with any further questions, I'll happily take a look :biggrin: Best of luck!

Hiya, thank you so much for your reply! It is extremely helpful - honestly don’t know how to thank you :smile:
Your feedback is extremely valuable to me.
Firstly, yep, I’ve got the Rf value jotted down on another piece of paper. After reading your (very helpful!) feedback, I’ve made some changes to my flashcard and would really appreciate it if you could read the steps I’ve noted down and tell me if there is anything that I am missing.

I’ve just written the steps below and then I’ll hopefully put them onto a flashcard:

Use ruler to draw horizontal pencil line on chromatography paper (pencil marks insoluble, won’t dissolve in solvent)

Line should be around 2cm from bottom of paper.

Mark pencil spots at equal spaces across the line - leave approx 1cm clear at each side

Use capillary tube to add ink onto the pencil spots.

Pour water into a beaker to a depth of 1cm - below pencil line.

Attach paper to a glass rod using tape and lower paper into beaker (ink not equal to solvent) - bottom of paper should dip into water.

Pencil line with ink must be above surface of water + side of paper must NOT touch side walls of beaker ( it interferes with way water moves)

Put lid on top of beaker to reduce evaporation of the solvent.

Solvent seeps up the paper, carrying ink with it.

Remove paper when water has travelled around 3 quarters up.

Use pencil to mark the solvent front (point where water reached)

Hang paper up-to dry.

If you want to identify chemicals in colours = calculate Rf values.

Apologies in advance for bothering you! I would really appreciate any guidance.

P.s what gcses did you take? How was your home-schooling experience? 🙂
Reply 5
Hiya, thank you so much for your reply! It is extremely helpful - honestly don’t know how to thank you :smile:
Your feedback is extremely valuable to me.
Firstly, yep, I’ve got the Rf value jotted down on another piece of paper. After reading your (very helpful!) feedback, I’ve made some changes to my flashcard and would really appreciate it if you could read the steps I’ve noted down and tell me if there is anything that I am missing.

I’ve just written the steps below and then I’ll hopefully put them onto a flashcard:

Use ruler to draw horizontal pencil line on chromatography paper (pencil marks insoluble, won’t dissolve in solvent)

Line should be around 2cm from bottom of paper.

Mark pencil spots at equal spaces across the line - leave approx 1cm clear at each side

Use capillary tube to add ink onto the pencil spots.

Pour water into a beaker to a depth of 1cm - below pencil line.

Attach paper to a glass rod using tape and lower paper into beaker (ink not equal to solvent) - bottom of paper should dip into water.

Pencil line with ink must be above surface of water + side of paper must NOT touch side walls of beaker ( it interferes with way water moves)

Put lid on top of beaker to reduce evaporation of the solvent.

Solvent seeps up the paper, carrying ink with it.

Remove paper when water has travelled around 3 quarters up.

Use pencil to mark the solvent front (point where water reached)

Hang paper up-to dry.

If you want to identify chemicals in colours = calculate Rf values.

Apologies in advance for bothering you! I would really appreciate any guidance.

P.s what gcses did you take? How was your home-schooling experience? 🙂

Thank you, it's my pleasure! That looks like a brilliant set of steps, really well done :biggrin:. I can't think of anything wrong with the method, so that would probably be full/at least top marks if you had a clear answer with that in :smile:

In regard to your postscript, I took Triple Science, Computer Science, Geography, English Language, and Literature, Maths and Further Maths. To try and keep this post short haha (although please feel free to message if you want some more detail), I began homeschooling at the start of year 10, and continued for the entire GCSE period. In all honesty, it was probably one of the best things to happen to me at that point, and went exceedingly well (at least in my eyes). It was quite a jump from school as you'd expect, although I did keep myself quite strictly, with a regular timetable and such. One of the things I loved was that flexibility, like being able to start earlier and finish earlier, or do a lesson for longer if I was struggling. Luckily, I was able to sit most exams with my old school too, which really helped to keep costs and problems down. But all in all, though it wasn't without stress, probably the most stressful bit was trying to forget the dark days before haha. It's obviously worth noting that this is going to be different for everyone, though.

Best of luck once more! Hopefully this will be of assistance, enjoy your week :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest