The Student Room Group

Height of a water splash

Hey guys,
I'm trying to find a topic for my EE right now and my teacher told me to do some research relating to one idea i had. However, I had problems finding materials which could help me and therefore I have a few questions:

1. Which factors influence the height of a water splash (imagine I drop a ball into a bowl full of water)? Is there even a formula to calculate it?

2. Which factors influence the distance, the ball would dive into the water?

Thank you :smile:.

KeenPrime
Original post by KeenPrime
Hey guys,
I'm trying to find a topic for my EE right now and my teacher told me to do some research relating to one idea i had. However, I had problems finding materials which could help me and therefore I have a few questions:

1. Which factors influence the height of a water splash (imagine I drop a ball into a bowl full of water)? Is there even a formula to calculate it?

2. Which factors influence the distance, the ball would dive into the water?

Thank you :smile:.

KeenPrime

Welcome to TSR physics. :smile:

This can be very tricky because it's difficult to control some of the variables.
There's also a lot going on when the object enters the water that is very difficult to quantify.

A similar question was asked a couple of years ago and I have found the thread. I suggest you take a bit of time to read through it as a lot of your questions will be in there somewhere.
The main concern of the thread is the depth the object sinks to on entry.
The height of splash of the water was not discussed in this thread.
I would suggest you go with one or the other but not both.
Thread link here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1219040

Quick Reply

Latest