The Student Room Group

Anxious about cleaning at work

This probably sounds silly but I get anxious about using cleaning chemicals at work-

I have to put bleach and hot water in a bucket then mop the floors- I’m anxious the water will splash into my eyes/ skin. I wear gloves but wonder if I should buy some goggles? My co-workers May think I’m nuts tho.

I work in a shop and have to clean toilets and floors at the end of the day. I have ocd but scared of chemicals etc.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
This probably sounds silly but I get anxious about using cleaning chemicals at work-

I have to put bleach and hot water in a bucket then mop the floors- I’m anxious the water will splash into my eyes/ skin. I wear gloves but wonder if I should buy some goggles? My co-workers May think I’m nuts tho.

I work in a shop and have to clean toilets and floors at the end of the day. I have ocd but scared of chemicals etc.

Your emplyer should have a risk assessment for that activity, so ask to see it.

The Health and Safety Executive have set of examples for risk assessments. One is for a shop: https://www.hse.gov.uk/simple-health-safety/risk/newsagent.pdf. That document has an example section for "Contact with bleach and other cleaning chemicals" which doesn't seem to raise any significant concerns.

If you're wearing gloves, then I think the only significant issue would be getting bleach into your eye. It would be hard to see how that might happen in normal use if you're using the product as directed on the label. If you're diluting the bleach appropriately, then I don't think the odd splash on the skin is going to cause issues.

But if you're particularly concerned, then get a set of safety glasses.
Original post by martin7
Your emplyer should have a risk assessment for that activity, so ask to see it.

The Health and Safety Executive have set of examples for risk assessments. One is for a shop: https://www.hse.gov.uk/simple-health-safety/risk/newsagent.pdf. That document has an example section for "Contact with bleach and other cleaning chemicals" which doesn't seem to raise any significant concerns.

If you're wearing gloves, then I think the only significant issue would be getting bleach into your eye. It would be hard to see how that might happen in normal use if you're using the product as directed on the label. If you're diluting the bleach appropriately, then I don't think the odd splash on the skin is going to cause issues.

But if you're particularly concerned, then get a set of safety glasses.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending