The Student Room Group

Toilet water splashback; is it deep?

*GRAPHIC POST*

Hi there,

I’m someone that’s been struggling with OCD for over 2 years now. I’ve been in therapy and stuff and didn’t find it very helpful. I wanted to know if most people need to take precautions for toilet water splashback and if they do with toilet paper. I never used to do it, but as my OCD progressed I started doing it, and have clogged the toilet many times. I do now lay lighter sheets, and need to throw on more if I have more stools. However, I feel like due to the tedious and high maintenance of this; I feel like I don’t use the toilet properly and thus am normally late to go. Being raised desi and Muslim, I use both water and toilet paper to wash down there. I’m wondering if that’s fine and though I know there are no serious illnesses asscouated with toilet water I just would find it very icky and distressing though in the last it wasn’t an issue as long as I have washed and wiped the area well.

Anyway, thank you for your time in reading this and I appreciate any responses. I just hope and pray I can live my life normally one day.
Reply 1
I've not done a survey, but I don't think most people bother.
I’m sorry you’re struggling with OCD - that’s really difficult. I don’t think you need to worry about this though if you can try. Humans have good immune systems and tbh some exposure to germs are good in building the immune system further. If you feel therapy didn’t help you I’d still explore this further - it’s about finding the right therapist / treatment plan for you which can take some time but worth it in the long run - hope you’re doing okay
Hi, I'm also Muslim and have been struggling with bathroom trips; I do take longer than I used to, specifically in performing wudhu. I'm certain nobody else takes the precautions that you, me or anyone else struggling may take in the bathroom or anywhere else, no matter what your OCD may make you think. My advice to you would be to force yourself to sit with the 'ickyness' that you may feel. It's essentially at home exposure therapy and works with any thoughts you may have too. You need to force yourself to sit with the uncomfortable, to sit with that feeling and move past it. It helps you to reduce doing that action again in the future as you realise it doesn't matter. Or with thoughts, it makes them appear less significant because you've shown them that they don't have that control over you. The second I did this, is when my OCD drastically reduced. With your specific situation, remember that it's normal to NOT take the precautions that you are taking in the bathroom, and I also recommend that you learn the correct way to perform istinjaa. You naturally need to clean yourself after using the bathroom and it might even be impossible to avoid splashes completely. So, just ensure that once you've finished using the toilet, you clean yourself properly once and in the best way (istinjaa), and then you move on.

Another tip that may help you more generally as well is whenever I'm facing troubling thoughts or feel the urge to do something repeatedly, I tell myself to trust in Allah. Saying those simple words to myself reminds me that there is nothing greater than the trust we should put in Him. My OCD is not greater than my trust in Allah, nothing in this world is. & of course, He sees our struggles, and He knows we are trying. Just remember that these OCD thoughts or 'waswas', are from Shaytaan, so try your best to do what is logical, and then move on. Easier said than done, I know, but remembering Allah often has truly helped me so much more than I could tell you. I hope that by implementing this if you aren't already, you will experience this too.

Wishing you all the best. May Allah ease your struggles and grant you relief from them, ameen!
Original post by Anonymous
*GRAPHIC POST*
Hi there,
I’m someone that’s been struggling with OCD for over 2 years now. I’ve been in therapy and stuff and didn’t find it very helpful. I wanted to know if most people need to take precautions for toilet water splashback and if they do with toilet paper. I never used to do it, but as my OCD progressed I started doing it, and have clogged the toilet many times. I do now lay lighter sheets, and need to throw on more if I have more stools. However, I feel like due to the tedious and high maintenance of this; I feel like I don’t use the toilet properly and thus am normally late to go. Being raised desi and Muslim, I use both water and toilet paper to wash down there. I’m wondering if that’s fine and though I know there are no serious illnesses asscouated with toilet water I just would find it very icky and distressing though in the last it wasn’t an issue as long as I have washed and wiped the area well.
Anyway, thank you for your time in reading this and I appreciate any responses. I just hope and pray I can live my life normally one day.

Hi I struggle with germs and OCD too
I put toilet roll down first, then if you feel like it won’t all flush: pour water down out of a water bottle while you flush at the same time

I often wash with soap in a quick body shower after a number 2

I also have to sanitise the taps with a Dettol wipe and soap after I’ve washed my hands because you touch the tissue so it has germs on it 😕

I just see it as part of my routine now

Quick Reply

Latest