The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by super121
This is really good, I made some notes from mark schemes a while back which I can add to this :smile:

How do modern catalysts work?
-Absorb* the molecule
-Break it's bonds
-Make new bonds
-Release it

What is the main intermolecular bond that arises between polyethene chains and how does it occur?
-Instantaneous dipole-induced dipole
-At a certain moment in time the electrons may be closer to one side of the molecule creating an instantaneous dipole
-This can induce a dipole in an unchanged molecule then repel it

How can compounds exist as a pair of E/Z isomers?
-It has a double bond to prevent it from rotating
-It has two different groups on each of the C=C (note: you will lose the mark if you say 'functional groups')

What is meant by 'heating under reflux'?
-Boiling a liquid in a closed system
-So that no product is lost

Why does formation of ozone not take place in the troposphere?
-High frequency radiation is only present in the stratosphere
-O radicals are formed by the photodissociation of O2

I'll edit this and add some more later :smile:

*Adsorb :wink:
Reply 61
Original post by usycool1
*Adsorb :wink:

I purposely did that to see if anyone was paying attention... :P
But seriously, thats a good example of why you should always check your work a million times to ensure that you don't lose marks on silly mistakes (which I have a habit of doing in all my exams) :biggrin:
Original post by madrevision
Ok so someone messaged me or something- it was a notification and I don't know how to view it again but I think they were asking about the recurring questions thing I said I was going to do. I have been really busy so I haven't really done much but here is what I have so far. It's really messy atm but if you guys have any ideas on how to make the info more readable in terms of highlighting or layout please do voice your suggestions. Thanks :biggrin:

Oooh, this is good, thanks! I'll try and add more to it once i'm done with biology and onto unit 2! Thanks again!
Reply 63
Im not sure about this question..
explain how the presence of hydrogen bonds between chains produces a polymer that is not very flexible.
any help please? :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by KleoKyp
Im not sure about this question..
explain how the presence of hydrogen bonds between chains produces a polymer that is not very flexible.
any help please? :smile:

Hydrogen bonding is the strongest type of intermolecular bond so it holds the polymer chains much closer together, therefore the chains cannot move as much so are less flexible.
Reply 65
Hydrogen bonding is the strongest type of intermolecular bond so it holds the polymer chains much closer together, therefore the chains cannot move as much so are less flexible.

Thank you, that makes sense!
This is really good, I made some notes from mark schemes a while back which I can add to this :smile:

-Adsorb the molecule (you will lose the mark if you write absorb)
-Break it's bonds
-Make new bonds
-Release it

What is the main intermolecular bond that arises between polyethene chains and how does it occur?
-At a certain moment in time the electrons may be closer to one side of the molecule creating an instantaneous dipole

-It has two different groups on each of the C=C (note: you will lose the mark if you say 'functional groups')

I'll edit this and add some more later :smile:
Is it okay if I add this to to the document ? and thanks for these btw :smile:
Reply 67
Is it okay if I add this to to the document ? and thanks for these btw :smile:

Of course, and you're welcome :smile:
I've got more which I'll type up when I have time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
...and here's the rest of it :smile:

cant you post your markscheme notes for f332 :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by CoolRunner
cant you post your markscheme notes for f332 :smile:

What mark scheme notes, sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please help me with http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-b-salters-h035-h435/ JANUARY 2010 F332 question 2 part g. The mark schemes says concentration values were too low, what concentration ?? of ozone?
Here's the mark scheme for January 2013 for anyone that was asking for it :smile:
Omg this is gonna be my mock exam next week but not gonna look at the markscheme tempting as it maybe lol :colondollar:
Reply 74
Omg this is gonna be my mock exam next week but not gonna look at the markscheme tempting as it maybe lol :colondollar:

I know it can be tempting but it's good to see what you can do under exam conditions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What mark scheme notes, sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I quote:

(Originally Posted by super121)

This is really good, I made some notes from mark schemes a while back which I can add to this

-Adsorb the molecule (you will lose the mark if you write absorb)
-Break it's bonds
-Make new bonds
-Release it

I'll edit this and add some more later

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 76
Original post by CoolRunner
I quote:

Oh that, I'll add to it when I have time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by King Hotpie
I need to smash this exam to make up for my coursework... Does anyone else feel that Salters Coursework must have spawned from the very depths of hell?

I concur, 47/60 in my coursework leaves me under massive pressure.....:angry:
Reply 78
Original post by nukethemaly
If you count up the carbons and hydrogens on the cyclopentene, you can clearly tell they both don't share the same general formula, since for cyclopentene its C5H8 [a general formula of CnH(2n - 2) for a cycloalkene containing one double bond], whereas a "normal" pentene with just one double bond at the end is C5H10 [or a general formula of CnH2n]

Also, sorry, I should've quoted the user who originally asked this question, oops!

Thank you makes sense now! :colondollar:
Reply 79
Original post by cheetahs56
Are you re-sitting? If so then you have plenty of opportunity to smash the exams and pull your grade up:tongue:. 56 is awesome, well done:smile:

Yeah feel like im under soo much pressure this summer! don't want to do any AS's next year :redface: this exams worth 50% so i'm really aiming for an A but i'll need all the help i can get! Personally i think ES is the hardest module for this exam :angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending