The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Open Day Liverpool or anyone

Hello,

I have an open day for Engineering course at Liverpool. I am a mature student whose A levels are out of date and I am studying Maths/Engineering courses at OU, because of this I have a maths assessment.

I know we can't have specifics, but I wanted a little help. I don't know what level I need to be refreshing too as I presume they want me at A level standard but it has been so long since I studied at that level I don't know what that is. I don't what to focus on stuff that is too far past what I need to the detriment of the information that I do need. Can anyone let me know roughly what to expect or how much they require?

Thank you
Reply 1
Thanks for moving me but I didn't want specific UoL info. I just want to know roughly what level of maths I need to be at for any university mathematics assessment as I don't know if I am currently above or below it.

Thanks
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
I assume they might give you an assessment test equivalent to A-level in Math since I'm also a mature student and just got unconditional offer from York in Economics and Math which also requires A from Math. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you. I've had a look online trying to find a syllabus but it seems my best bet may be an a level revision site to see if I have any gaps.
Original post by RedKaggle
Thank you. I've had a look online trying to find a syllabus but it seems my best bet may be an a level revision site to see if I have any gaps.

Great !! You can also have a look at S-COOL website which is a revision resources for students preparing for their A-level exam. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm Y1 Mech Eng at Liverpool. At the start of the year they got the entire year in for a maths test , using the results to split the year into two maths classes (everyone studies a compulsory maths module). Ultimately both classes cover the same material just at different rates and the "higher" class do not get as much of a data/equation sheet.

Assuming your exam will be roughly the same as this then studying to A-Level standard should be more than enough. Our test was multiple choice not particularly testing (just note that in our case everyone taking would of completed A-Level maths or equivalent in the last few years).

If you are going with the A-Level assumption then yep I'd recommend S-Cool too, if you prefer videos type learning then "http://www.examsolutions.net/" is great - I used this a lot!

For a more formal guide then here's the EdExcel A-Level Syllabus: LINK

Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Maths assessment seemed to go well :biggrin:

Just need to wait on the result now! *checks UCAS track every 5 minutes*
Reply 7
Original post by WhiteWash
I'm Y1 Mech Eng at Liverpool. !

What is the book list for first year?

Thanks
Reply 8
What is the book list for first year?

There's no single complete reading list, rather the lecturers for each module give a "recommended" list where in most cases they say don't buy the book (high cost etc.) but instead just use the library.

If Maths isn't your strong-point I would go for "Mathematics For Engineers" by Croft & Davison. This was put forward to us as I say above and I've found it useful.

In September you'll probably get emails from 2nd Years trying to sell their old books, and Blackwells do some kind of deal on bundling a few books together (still quite expensive though...).
Reply 9
Original post by WhiteWash
There's no single complete reading list, rather the lecturers for each module give a "recommended" list where in most cases they say don't buy the book (high cost etc.) but instead just use the library.

If Maths isn't your strong-point I would go for "Mathematics For Engineers" by Croft & Davison. This was put forward to us as I say above and I've found it useful.

In September you'll probably get emails from 2nd Years trying to sell their old books, and Blackwells do some kind of deal on bundling a few books together (still quite expensive though...).

This is going to sound snotty and I really don't mean it to. I am very good at maths generally (aside from over thinking if my course covers the same as the assessment!) although I will always look at new maths books.

So it isn't a case of "Buy Stroud's Engineering Mathematics for the Maths and buy this general Engineering book for the rest"? I know lecturers like to give a long list of books you can look up but I thought there would be one or two standard or compulsory books for the first year

(I've still got my copy of Stroud from 1998!)
Reply 10
So it isn't a case of "Buy Stroud's Engineering Mathematics for the Maths and buy this general Engineering book for the rest"? I know lecturers like to give a long list of books you can look up but I thought there would be one or two standard or compulsory books for the first year

Not really. As far as I can remember the only actual compulsory "book" is the ProEngineer manual which you have to buy for the intensive week in Semester 2. Everything else is completely up to you whether to purchase it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending