The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Possible bug report:

Font size for Subforums reduced within forum pages.

I'm sure the subforum titles used to be in the same font as thread titles (with the description etc in smaller font). Even if they didn't used to be it seems a shame to demote their importance (it's not like most sub forum titles are so long they'd distort the page).
Most of these changes are positive or neutral but the change in font really overshadows this for me. Why change it? I don't recall any complaints over the readability of the previous font. It feels smaller/narrower and less readable from where I'm sitting.

Aside from that, I like the new quote box and the associated speech bubbles, I think it's easier to now distinguish different parts of a persons post. Not sure about the username colour within the quote box though, why not use the default blue that the post bit uses? Light blue on lighter blue doesn't make much sense to me :dontknow:

The new rep gems better fit the overall layout of the site (finally!) and the spoiler boxes are very neat. Are the ''submit reply'' and ''go advanced'' options supposed to be in different shades of orange? I'm guessing not :p: I can live with the shadowing on the buttons, though.

The stars and blobs do look a bit childish, but I can live them. As others have said the balance of the rep icons could do with adjustment in colour, but the design is an improvement in my opinion.
I'm not a big fan. It's a bit informal and pastely for me, but I don't really have much constructive advice other than that it seems there is a disparity between the opinions of the mods, community team, etc. and the majority of average users. Maybe there should be some sort of poll.
Reply 183
Oh man why is everything being simplified? First Microsoft Windows 8, the ****tiest OS I ever used, then Microsoft Outlook and now TSR. Is it to save image size because internet is running out of bandwidth?
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry to say TSR but I don't like this update one bit, as others have said...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This forum is meant for students, hence the name. Maybe now it should be renamed, 'The Infant Room'. Waaay to much Cbeebies styling!

Oh and the font...eew!
u still havent added the "my threads" tab, which was the most important thing.......what kind of bull crap update is this student room ? answer me
Reply 186
I hate it.
What's happened to TSR!!!

It looks like this kids forum I used to go on :erm:

Change it back!! :argh:
R.I.P old TSR 23/04/12 :frown:
Can't the TSR makers give us an option where we can choose what layout or settings we want to use?
(edited 11 years ago)
Also, posts with +rep thumb lit up look the same as when it's not... (see the + thumb on this one and the + thumb on post above...)
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
Sorry to say TSR but I don't like this update one bit, as others have said...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This forum is meant for students, hence the name. Maybe now it should be renamed, 'The Infant Room'. Waaay to much Cbeebies styling!

Oh and the font...eew!

That isn't very optimistic.
Reply 191
Things I'm going to do with the new TSR because of how bad the design is

- Not recommend it to friends as I did before due to the overly childish colour scheme +poor navigation
- Use it far less, this hurts my eyes and it is a less appealing to look at, wtf was the need for the font and rep button changes

I am disappointed mods, you do something the people don't want and then supposedly you'll leave it on here for a year and then we'll get a worse installment. These clearly aren't improvements, these are de-improvements

Looking at tsr is about as worse as staring at this video for the same amount of time [video="youtube;-btTNRM2VUY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-btTNRM2VUY[/video]

Other problems, blue cuts into the orange buttons, everything is bubbly and it just seems like this website it catering to children

Also the gap on the side of text is unbearable to look at. WHYTSR!?!?!?!?!
(edited 11 years ago)
The one thing that really does my head in is the massive indent between where a post actually starts and where the text begins. The margin, if you will. Why can't it be streamline?

this

Original post by Dez
The reply buttons are only 4px taller than their original versions. The old ones were meant to be replaces ages ago, but in the end they were left alone, until they needed updating for the new brand.

Really? I wonder why they seem so much bigger, then. Maybe it's the size of the image or the drop shadow? Or maybe the smaller "reply to this thread..." "thread tools..." etc. make them look bigger?

Original post by Robbie242

Looking at tsr is about as worse as staring at this video for the same amount of time [video="youtube;-btTNRM2VUY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-btTNRM2VUY[/video]

That really is insane over-editing, but the audio-syncing is fantastic. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Really? I wonder why they seem so much bigger, then. Maybe it's the size of the image or the drop shadow? Or maybe the smaller "reply to this thread..." "thread tools..." etc. make them look bigger?

That really is insane over-editing, but the audio-syncing is fantastic. :tongue:

I'm inclined to agree but staring at that for hours would give me a massive migraine, as TSR is likely doing right now -.-
I don't mind the new design, but the font is a bit small. Considering I'm going a bit short-sighted too, that doesn't help.
Reply 196
I wrote a userscript to restyle the posts slightly towards my personal preference. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062836&page=4&p=40320146#post40320146

Perhaps if other users like it too, these slight adjustments can be implemented into future updates?

Edit: See here > http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062836&page=4&p=42343381#post42343381

:smile:

Captain Jack
x
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vulpes
I wrote a userscript to restyle the posts slightly towards my personal preference. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062836&page=4&p=40320146#post40320146

Perhaps if other users like it too, these slight adjustments can be implemented into future updates?

Spoiler

:smile:

The light blue definitely looks a lot better than the grey!
Reply 198
Looks shocking
Reply 199
Sorry, but this latest update is horrendous!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending