The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
Wasn't actually me who implemented that bit, but I think they're distributed randomly. Although in places other than the thread page we currently only show one default avatar (the yellow/blue one) because the randomisation code doesn't stretch that far yet.

There was a lot of negative feedback on the thread, but that's not our only source of feedback. We worked on and improved a number of things that were highlighted back then e.g. distinguishing between read/unread threads.

I think it's fair to say we acted on most of the constructive feedback we received. Feedback like "I don't like it" or "I prefer X", isn't constructive, because it doesn't tell us anything about why something is bad. It's impossible to work with unless we have some idea of what actually needs fixing. I hope that distinction is clear.

It sounds to me as if you're being selectively blind to many of the criticisms in this thread, most of which are spot on.

I will repeat some of the key ones in case you are having problems reading the thread, which wouldn't be surprising given how hard the site is on the eyes now.

* Indented text - horrible.

* Neg button is prominent by default, which makes it look at first glance as if every post is negged.

* Horrible colour clash on the orange action boxes and they flouresce, causing further eye strain.

* Blue headline text in lists is just awful on the main personal page, the Watched Threads list in particular is very hard to read.

* Default balloon avatar is boring and badly clashes.

* Arial doesn't work with all the aesthetically unpleasing new elements.

There are more.

On top of that, there are many unfixed annoyances with the site which have repeatedly been complained about.

One might well question why we, the users, many of whom pay a monthly fee, are being ignored. I suspect many will be dumping the site if nothing is done.
What's with the editor packs tab on the homepage? Oh tsr.
I am finding it hard to differentiate between the light & dark blue quote bubbles in the "who quoted me" widget (or at least, it is not immediately obvious). It would be nice if the colour could be adjusted so as to create a greater contrast between old & new quotes, because at the moment I feel like I have to double-check to see whether I've been quoted recently.

I also think it would make more sense to have unread quotes in a brighter colour than read ones, rather than the other way around. Brightness is more suggestive of new and hence it is more appropriate, in my opinion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 343
There are ticks to see which ones you've read.
Original post by Iron Lady
There are ticks to see which ones you've read.

I'm aware, in fact that is part of the reason behind the confusion, since the ticks darken the overall appearance of the bubble.
Reply 345
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It sounds to me as if you're being selectively blind to many of the criticisms in this thread, most of which are spot on.

I will repeat some of the key ones in case you are having problems reading the thread, which wouldn't be surprising given how hard the site is on the eyes now.

* Indented text - horrible.

* Neg button is prominent by default, which makes it look at first glance as if every post is negged.

* Horrible colour clash on the orange action boxes and they flouresce, causing further eye strain.

* Blue headline text in lists is just awful on the main personal page, the Watched Threads list in particular is very hard to read.

* Default balloon avatar is boring and badly clashes.

* Arial doesn't work with all the aesthetically unpleasing new elements.

There are more.

On top of that, there are many unfixed annoyances with the site which have repeatedly been complained about.

One might well question why we, the users, many of whom pay a monthly fee, are being ignored. I suspect many will be dumping the site if nothing is done.

I'm not sure where you get that idea from. I've replied to a few points with what info I have, but it's not like I can just wave a magic wand and have these problems suddenly work themselves out. They'll need to be looked at by the team and a compromise found.

If I've not commented on an issue it's not because I've ignored it, it's because I don't have anything to say about it. I'm a developer, not a designer.
Original post by Dez
I'm not sure where you get that idea from. I've replied to a few points with what info I have, but it's not like I can just wave a magic wand and have these problems suddenly work themselves out. They'll need to be looked at by the team and a compromise found.

If I've not commented on an issue it's not because I've ignored it, it's because I don't have anything to say about it. I'm a developer, not a designer.

Fair enough. Maybe someone in your team can summarise these points and discuss them then? I don't think we like being ignored, which is the definite vibe many of us are getting.
Reply 347
Bring Verdana back!
Reply 348
Fair enough. Maybe someone in your team can summarise these points and discuss them then? I don't think we like being ignored, which is the definite vibe many of us are getting.

This is already happening. In fact I've already got 3 requests in for quick fixes to the designs.
Reply 349
I would argue that the rep buttons' colours are not the issue. Whilst the red is a tiny bit more striking, it is also higher than the greener, meaning the eye is automatically drawn to the neg rather than the pos. Combined with the slight difference in colours, it makes the neg stand out far more. I think the positioning is the greater issue.
Original post by Dez

As a developer are you not responsible for the iPhone/iPod toouch spoiler button mistake? Because you disnt reply to me...

People don't like change. They grumble about it, get uppity and then get over it. It's happened before and will always happen with changes to the layout etc.
I think the new design is fantastic. Very simple, clean, and attractive. Makes me use the forums more.
I think the new quoted ones should be in a different colour (I don't know if they are already though)
Original post by Lord of the Flies
I'm aware, in fact that is part of the reason behind the confusion, since the ticks darken the overall appearance of the bubble.

Also, if someone quotes you, but then deletes their post, then of course it remains as an unread quote - there's no issue with this in itself, but when you go to 'see more' or 'all who quoted me', then if you want to sort by unread quotes, these ghost posts will clog things up potentially as they'll never go away.
I agree. It's not as clear as it could be.
Reply 356
Original post by tooambitious
As a developer are you not responsible for the iPhone/iPod toouch spoiler button mistake? Because you disnt reply to me...

Yes, sorry, that's been filed as a bug. Hard to keep up with all the replies!
Original post by Lord of the Flies

:wavey: I've merged your thread with the main feedback thread so that the developers can see it easier :smile:
Original post by tooambitious

Dez may not have directly replied you about this issue, but I did. So you can't be expecting everyone to be responding to each post, can you :wink:

This specific issue is one of the things we've got in the system to be worked on.

I also believe we can expect a more general response about wider reported concerns soon. As with all large updates, there's been a lot of talking and planning going on today sorting through the feedback (thank you to all who've been helpful in sharing this with us). So things are moving :biggrin:
After ranting about it yesterday, I think I'm fine with it now.

The only thing that could be changed is the default icon for people, rather than those two coloured bubbles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending