The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6CH07/01- May 8th 2013 - AS Chemistry Unit 3B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Yes its there BUT NOT with Tollens or fehlings reagents. This might be an accepted alternative.
But
You could distinguish by a refluxing with acidified Potassium Di Chromate (or manganate if you take necessary precautions). Colourchange will only show up for aldehyde.
Tollens solution or fehling is also good but out of the spec.

Similarly distinguishing between carboxylic and aldehyde or ketone can be done by litmus.

I dont know. where in the spec is Tollens reagent and Fehling's mentioned????

I suppose your right. I didn't check the spec, but my tutor taught it, so I assumed it was in the spec...

Hope we don't get something new like that :s-smilie:
Carbonyl compounds are with C to O double bond as in ketone aldehyde and carboxylics acid. The Fehling's and Tollen's is in A2. Maybe Thilak :biggrin: would have added it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Carbonyl compounds are with C to O double bond as in ketone aldehyde and carboxylics acid. The Fehling's and Tollen's is in A2. Maybe Thilak :biggrin: would have added it. Here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, he always teaches extra and finishes syllabus slowly :tongue:
How to investigate the solubility of simple molecules in different solvents?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this in the spec? :eek:

How do you measure solubility? increase in volume? (very doubtful)
Original post by Relaxedexams
Is this in the spec? :eek:

How do you measure solubility? increase in volume? (very doubtful)

man please help me in the questions i sent
Original post by Daniel Atieh
pleeeeassse help me in Jun 2009 q 1 (aiv) and b(v)....didnt get AT ALL!!! http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202009/6CH07_01_que_20090515.pdf

1 (a) (iv)

White ppt is formed, the new substance is Magnesium Hydroxide. (I did this in class, not sure if its in the syllabus.)

(b) (v)

The sulfur in H2SO4 is reduced to Sulfur dioxide. Bromine in HBr is oxidised to Br2.
1 (a) (iv)

White ppt is formed, the new substance is Magnesium Hydroxide. (I did this in class, not sure if its in the syllabus.)

(b) (v)

The sulfur in H2SO4 is reduced to Sulfur dioxide. Bromine in HBr is oxidised to Br2.

also for q 2 part ai - why we hv to draw the line at 3.5 mins? is it cauz at the mid?
Carbonyl compounds are with C to O double bond as in ketone aldehyde and carboxylics acid. The Fehling's and Tollen's is in A2. Maybe Thilak :biggrin: would have added it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In simple distillation, the 'receiving end of the flask' is the end at the conical flask right?
also for q 2 part ai - why we hv to draw the line at 3.5 mins? is it cauz at the mid?

In the question, its given that Zn powder is added at exactly 3.5 mts, so the vertical line is drawn from there to get the cooling correction.
In the question, its given that Zn powder is added at exactly 3.5 mts, so the vertical line is drawn from there to get the cooling correction.

aha yess thx! I hv solved 4 papers! I dunno what to do nw? any suggestion?:redface:
aha yess thx! I hv solved 4 papers! I dunno what to do nw? any suggestion?:redface:

Solve all the remaining papers. Go through the notes in the first post.
Reply 111
Lolz am I late??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NilFBosh
Lolz am I late??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Late for what? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solve all the remaining papers. Go through the notes in the first post.

Man check for me also jan 2013 q 1 aiv.....shudnt the colour be blue-blacK???
Reply 114
Is it alright to draw the graph in pencil for the actual exam?
Reply 115
Thank you so much to all of you :
leafy9
Relaxedexams
Sweet Strawberry (funny name you got )
Original post by kevsamuel
Is it alright to draw the graph in pencil for the actual exam?

Yh its totally fine to draw in pencil. :smile: are you guys nervous??
Reply 117
Late for what? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I missed all the conversations

Posted from TSR Mobile
ANY ONEEE PLZ i need help in jan 2013 q 1 aiv ---why the color is not blue-black ..
Reply 119
What are the procedures in the preparation of dry crystals of a salt?? Can someone please help me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending