The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by SherlockHolmes
What did you get for the competence mark? Do teachers generally give everyone a 12 for this?

Not ours, only got 10:mad:. Depends what school and how the teachers are tbh. Ask and i'm sure they'll tell you:wink:

On another note anyone breaking up for study leave? And when do you go back? Our wonderful school decided to send us back before all of our exams are over (inc. F332).....:rolleyes:
Reply 101
Hi guys! Hope everyone's revision is going well! :smile:

I was just wondering if anyone had a copy or link to the F332 Jan 2013 paper? It might have already been posted and I missed it, apologies if so!

Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by imym
Hi guys! Hope everyone's revision is going well! :smile:

I was just wondering if anyone had a copy or link to the F332 Jan 2013 paper? It might have already been posted and I missed it, apologies if so!

Thank you! :biggrin:

Here!
Reply 103
Original post by nukethemaly
here!

thank you :d:d:d
In the Chemical ideas book (pg 33) about first ionisation enthalpy why is it more difficult to remove electrons from atoms across a period (I'm aware that its because more electrons are being added and so more protons creating a more positive nuclear charge) but why is it then easier to remove electrons down a group? because the mass also gets bigger? the graph on pg 34 has totally thrown me.

HELP PLEASE :colondollar:
Original post by blondie24
In the Chemical ideas book (pg 33) about first ionisation enthalpy why is it more difficult to remove electrons from atoms across a period (I'm aware that its because more electrons are being added and so more protons creating a more positive nuclear charge)

Yup, because number of protons increase so the attraction between the nucleus and the electrons is stronger (stronger nuclear attraction). This means more energy is required to overcome the stronger forces of attraction, hence meaning the ionisation enthalpy increases across a period.

but why is it then easier to remove electrons down a group?

The outer electron(s) get further away from the nucleus and there is more shielding from inner shells. As a result, there is less nuclear attraction for the outermost electron(s), making it easier to remove electrons.

Make sense? :smile:
The outer electron(s) get further away from the nucleus and there is more shielding from inner shells. As a result, there is less nuclear attraction for the outermost electron(s), making it easier to remove electrons.

Yeah kinda, but don't the outer electrons get further away from the nucleus across a period also?
Original post by blondie24

Yeah kinda, but don't the outer electrons get further away from the nucleus across a period also?

Nope :nah: They actually get closer, if anything.

I'm guessing you're thinking that they get further because the atomic masses increase as you go across the period? Remember: as you go across a period, the number of electrons increase by one in the same shell. Also, the number of protons increase as you go across the period. The increasing positive nuclear charge therefore gradually increases so the electrons are attracted more and more strongly. This will pull the electrons slightly closer to the nucleus, so they don't get further away. :nah:

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Nope :nah: They actually get closer, if anything.

I'm guessing you're thinking that they get further because the atomic masses increase as you go across the period? Remember: as you go across a period, the number of electrons increase by one in the same shell. Also, the number of protons increase as you go across the group. The increasing positive nuclear charge therefore gradually increases so the electrons are attracted more and more strongly. This will pull the electrons slightly closer to the nucleus, so they don't get further away. :nah:

OMG that makes so much more sense! thank you:colondollar: :biggrin:
Hi guys, I have such issues with chemistry, I understand it but when it comes to revision the content refuses to stay in my head :frown:
Do you have any advice please, I'm dreading my unit 1 retake and my unit 2 exam.
Reply 110
Original post by writteninthestas
Hi guys, I have such issues with chemistry, I understand it but when it comes to revision the content refuses to stay in my head :frown:
Do you have any advice please, I'm dreading my unit 1 retake and my unit 2 exam.

Just do loads of past papers, you will begin to find that the questions are quite repetitive :smile:
Reply 111
Hey guys, I remember speak to some of you from F331 in Jan. I hope you did well, I got 48/60 which is an A but for my course work I got 50 so I think that will be a B! I will have to smash this final exam now :smile:
Reply 112
Original post by Welbeck
Hey guys, I remember speak to some of you from F331 in Jan. I hope you did well, I got 48/60 which is an A but for my course work I got 50 so I think that will be a B! I will have to smash this final exam now :smile:

Hi! I got 47 in the coursework:frown: 50 in the exam though so just need to get an A in this exam now! Easier said than done though....
yr 13 here, 3rd time sitting this damn paper, but its the biggest unit! Got a B first time, then a C so hoping I get a high A this time coz A2 is a real struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Hey guys,
Could someone please help/post the reagents and conditions for the reactions we need to know because there are a few and I keep finding them scattered around both CI and the revision guide in different places :hmpf:

Thanks in advance !

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Branny101
Hey guys,
Could someone please help/post the reagents and conditions for the reactions we need to know because there are a few and I keep finding them scattered around both CI and the revision guide in different places :hmpf:

Thanks in advance !

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've posted a list of them earlier in the thread (or it might be in the thread for the advanced notice)
Reply 116
Original post by super121
I've posted a list of them earlier in the thread (or it might be in the thread for the advanced notice)

Ahh awesome, found 'em - what does the 'RT' stand for in the "Conditions" column?

Thanks dude:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
Ahh awesome, found 'em - what does the 'RT' stand for in the "Conditions" column?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Room temp. :smile:
Reply 118
Original post by super121
Room temp. :smile:

Wow that's a lot to learn! Okay cool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wondered about that for quite some before I was just like it's freaking room temperature lol:colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending