The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zaphod77
Thank you! I'm trying to relax, I have biscuits to help with that, I just hope I don't get confused between East and West like I did on one past paper :tongue: Silly mistakes get me every time...

Yeah, if in doubt I just draw some axises and go from that, although the question will normally inform you of which way is what. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nukethemaly
I feel you, I feel you.

Yeah, doesn't help that I've got 46 questions to do tonight as they're due in tomorrow and I've left them until now, not too good really :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
Well I wouldn't be fooled as its the only one that you can't use a calculator in, so most of the silly mistakes will mainly be arithmetic ones, so just make sure you're extremely careful when answering the questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always am. :smile:
Original post by krishkmistry
cheers mate,really appreciate this :smile: you too for the f321 and your other exams :smile: ps if you still need help then I'm free for f321 - just haven't gone on here for a bit - also do you know what the rough mark is on C1 for 100 or 90 UMS ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just happy to help really and I've been attempting all questions so far and got them right, I've got a mock this Thursday too but I'll let you know if I need some assistance and sorry but I'm not too sure, maybe someone else would be able to given you a rough answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joostan
I didn't realise that Edexcel hadn't made the markscheme yet :wink:

The problem is the number of possible alternatives a lot of questions have. For example, take this question (From Edexcel C3 Jan 2013):

Find the exact value of (sin22.5+cos22.5)2 (sin22.5+cos22.5)^2

The expected method:

(sin22.5+cos22.5)2=sin222.5+cos222.5+2sin22.5cos22.5 (sin22.5+cos22.5)^2 = sin^2 22.5 + cos^2 22.5 +2sin22.5cos22.5

=1+sin45 = 1 + sin45

=1+12 = 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

The method I used:

(sin22.5+cos22.5)2=(1212cos45+12+12cos45)2 (sin22.5+cos22.5)^2 = (\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}cos45} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}cos45})^2

=1+21414cos245 = 1+ 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{4}cos^2 45 }

(A note to be taken from this. No matter how crazy your method is, if it's correct and a specific one hasn't been asked for you can't be marked down. I like to think that reading this on my paper made an examiner somewhere laugh.)
Yeah, doesn't help that I've got 46 questions to do tonight as they're due in tomorrow and I've left them until now, not too good really :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

but hey the silver lining is you don't have exams tomorrow!

and you can always just say that you've done them but forgot to bring them in, to just buy some time. BUT GET TO IT!
Original post by Wick3d
I always am. :smile:

That's okay then, I was always quite careless and tried to do several stages in my head to save the amount of writing I did, didn't really pay off though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just happy to help really and I've been attempting all questions so far and got them right, I've got a mock this Thursday too but I'll let you know if I need some assistance and sorry but I'm not too sure, maybe someone else would be able to given you a rough answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone know the approx raw mark needed for 100 or 90 UMS on the paper ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
but hey the silver lining is you don't have exams tomorrow!

and you can always just say that you've done them but forgot to bring them in, to just buy some time. BUT GET TO IT!

Well I've actually got my M1 exam tomorrow, so yeah should be fun and I can't do that as I feel it's wrong to lie, I'll just start them in a little while and surely they can't take too long :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by DJMayes
The problem is the number of possible alternatives a lot of questions have. For example, take this question (From Edexcel C3 Jan 2013):

The expected method:

(sin22.5+cos22.5)2=sin222.5+cos222.5+2sin22.5cos22.5 (sin22.5+cos22.5)^2 = sin^2 22.5 + cos^2 22.5 +2sin22.5cos22.5

=1+sin45 = 1 + sin45

The method I used:

(sin22.5+cos22.5)2=(1212cos45+12+12cos45)2 (sin22.5+cos22.5)^2 = (\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}cos45} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}cos45})^2

(A note to be taken from this. No matter how crazy your method is, if it's correct and a specific one hasn't been asked for you can't be marked down. I like to think that reading this on my paper made an examiner somewhere laugh.)

Lol, I was joking of course, but I learnt yesterday that in C1 I could have differentiated the circle instead of fiddling with radii, tangents and normals, though I did the former just to check.

Spoiler

Well I've actually got my M1 exam tomorrow, so yeah should be fun and I can't do that as I feel it's wrong to lie, I'll just start them in a little while and surely they can't take too long :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay maybe no silver linings for you. Good luck tomorrow! I did mine in Jan, 96 UMS because I'm a boss (mostly just hardworking)
Okay maybe no silver linings for you. Good luck tomorrow! I did mine in Jan, 96 UMS because I'm a boss (mostly just hardworking)

Yeah, but it's my own darn fault really, so I can't complain that much and very nice score! I'm hoping that I can get 100 UMS or something incredibly close to it! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, but it's my own darn fault really, so I can't complain that much and very nice score! I'm hoping that I can get 100 UMS or something incredibly close to it! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

On TSR, getting 100% in an exam seems to be the metaphorical equivalent of joining the mile high club...
Original post by DJMayes
On TSR, getting 100% in an exam seems to be the metaphorical equivalent of joining the mile high club...

I'm not sure if I understood that correctly, isn't it appreciated on here?
Reply 174
For M1 Vectors - Can someone please confirm if this is correct: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42581523&postcount=219

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by DJMayes

The expected method:

=1+sin45 = 1 + sin45

The method I used:

Was that genuinely the first thing you thought of, or were you bored and trying to find an alternative solution? :lol:
Anyone got any last minute tips for AQA C2 maths exam? (Got it tomorrow)

Also, I've done all the past papers from 2005-2013, are there any other papers I could use? Tried finding extra logs questions on google but had no luck :/

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure if I understood that correctly, isn't it appreciated on here?

I'm not explaining this to you on here. :lol:

Original post by justinawe
Was that genuinely the first thing you thought of, or were you bored and trying to find an alternative solution? :lol:

It was the first thing I immediately thought of, and my problem is that if I see a method I know will get me to the correct solution, I launch into it immediately without thinking if there is a better way. :lol: I was bricking it before results because none of the mark scheme mentioned anything like the method I used.
Reply 178
Original post by annaridgway95
Anyone got any last minute tips for AQA C2 maths exam? (Got it tomorrow)

Also, I've done all the past papers from 2005-2013, are there any other papers I could use? Tried finding extra logs questions on google but had no luck :/

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about:
Solve (for x) 6x=5×9x\ 6^x = 5 \times 9^x giving your answer in exact and most simplified form. :smile:
Reply 179
Original post by joostan
Solve the simultaneous equations. :smile:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Urgh, I'll wait for half term:mmm:

Simultaneous equations!

a = 25 - 25r

(25 - 25r)/(1-r)=25
Etc

Thanks! Both of you are legends!

Latest

Trending