The Student Room Group

Woman refuses to sell house to Tesco

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-22394785

This was on the One Show today.

What do you think about the story?

I think the lady refusing to move shouldn't be forced to, her rights and liberty to stay in her home should be protected, but I do think she is being a bit selfish as she is denying the economic growth and jobs the shopping centre would provide her community for largely sentimental reasons.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel sorry for the lady- I'd hate to lose a house I'd lived in for years, and have to move away. Not sure how her being a diabetic is at all relevant, though? I have diabetic relatives- they move house, too!

Unless they're making her move far away from her GP/ hospital treatment or something? :confused:
Reply 2
She shouldn't have to move at all, Tesco should get to ****.
Surely she is in a position to make Tesco pay her whatever she wants to move...?
Reply 4
It's her right to stay, but I agree she is being selfish. Apparently all the other people on the street want to sell their houses for a tidy profit and move to a nicer area, and she's stopping that.
That house has great sentimental value to her it must be hard for her to leave
I know people here are calling her selfish but if you were in her position and someone was asking you to just up and leave your home I'm pretty sure some of you would feel even slightly reluctant to do so surely?
Good on her.
excellent. Funny how we usually hear stories like this in China.
Reply 8
She's been there for nine years, and was in a different house on the same road for a few years as a child. That's not exactly going to be enough to make an old lady form a lifelong attachment to this particular house. I think she's just being stubborn.
She's being stubborn, but good for her. It's her house, she doesn't have to move if she doesn't want to!
Good for her. **** Tesco, as if they don't already have enough stores blighting the landscape.

Original post by Jacob :)
I think the lady refusing to move shouldn't be forced to, her rights and liberty to stay in her home should be protected, but I do think she is being a bit selfish as she is denying the economic growth and jobs the shopping centre would provide her community for largely sentimental reasons.

You mean destroy the local small businesses and further homogenise the retail industry.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Greenlaner
Good for her. **** Tesco, as if they don't already have enough stores blighting the landscape.

You mean destroy the local small businesses and further homogenise the retail industry.

Supply n demand brah. If local businesses go out of business its because no one wants to to shop there, which isn't Tesco's fault.
(edited 10 years ago)
stickin it to the man... right on. Who the hell are they to bully her out of her home?
Original post by Greenlaner

You mean destroy the local small businesses and further homogenize the retail industry.

Local business that isn't in direct competition will benefit from extra passers by. Also those previously un-employed will have more disposable income, the vast majority of this will go into the local economy as these are likely to be low income jobs.

You may further homogenize the retail industry, however you are gaining jobs for local people which puts money in their pockets, helps out local business and improves standards of living, whilst likely saving the government
money on the welfare bill.

Personally I'd choose the latter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Sentimental this, sentimental that, blah blah blah...

Every person has a price, Tesco just haven't offered it yet. She'll be well on her way sooner or later.
Original post by Rybee
Sentimental this, sentimental that, blah blah blah...

Every person has a price, Tesco just haven't offered it yet. She'll be well on her way sooner or later.

She has the right not to sell however, so her price could be higher than tesco values to be profitable in relation to the money it will potentially make from the store.
Its a pretty bad move from a bunch of capitalist pigs...
However this is a stubborn woman- whether or not this is a bad thing is debatable.
Reply 17
Original post by Thriftworks
She has the right not to sell however, so her price could be higher than tesco values to be profitable in relation to the money it will potentially make from the store.

She's better off taking whatever's on the table before a CPO is enforced by the council and she ends up with minimal financial gain and little compensation tbh.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Its a pretty bad move from a bunch of capitalist pigs...
However this is a stubborn woman- whether or not this is a bad thing is debatable.

Lets clear some things up

- The company IS paying compensation

- The company IS providing more a better use of the space for the wider community as opposed to the current use of space.

- The company CANNOT force anyone out of their homes, only the goverment can, so ultimately the goverment are the ones who you should be calling pigs.
Original post by Rybee
She's better off taking whatever's on the table before a CPO is enforced by the council and she ends up with minimal financial gain and little compensation tbh.

Well yes I personally disagree with CPO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending