The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsNerd1
Well I don't think they've asked the defintion of successive ionisation energy, that could throw some people off and that wouldn't really bother me too much as it'll increase because of the nuclear charge increasing, the atomic radius decreasing and similiar effects from electron shielding as they're within the same outer shell.

Would that be okay for an answer? Obviously going into a bit more detail about it .

Well if we're talking about successive inoisation energies within the same atom, you're right it would increase since (this especially applies to electrons in different shells) as you try and ionise the atom of electrons further in, the atomic radius does decrease and there is less electron shielding so a stronger electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and electrons requiring more energy to over come in order to ionise.
Nuclear charge of the atom (if we're taling about the same one) wouldn't change though...
Correct! My turn :smile:

Write an equation to represent the second ionisation energy of oxygen.
Reply 122
Original post by ADAOBI123
A shared pair of electrons which has been donated by one of the bonding atoms

Thanks!
Original post by niniesta96
Well if we're talking about successive inoisation energies within the same atom, you're right it would increase since (this especially applies to electrons in different shells) as you try and ionise the atom of electrons further in, the atomic radius does decrease and there is less electron shielding so a stronger electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and electrons requiring more energy to over come in order to ionise.
Nuclear charge of the atom (if we're taling about the same one) wouldn't change though...

Of course because we're talking about ionisation energies of an atom, so its not going to increase in nuclear charge, stupid mistake on my behalf again :-|

O+(g) ----> O2+(g) + e-
I hope we get a nice paper!

O^+(g) ----> O^2+(g) + e-

Sorry if its hard to read :-/
Original post by Junaid150
Thanks!

your welcome
Original post by yodawg321
O+(g) ----> O2+(g) + e-

correct !
O^+(g) ----> O^2+(g) + e-

Sorry if its hard to read :-/

its okay :smile: correct answer though
To be quite honest I've never even bothered to learn any of the green coloured pages, also on the periodic table part as I highly doubt that it'll ever show up. :tongue:

Thanks so much, phew !
Do you get that urge though, to revise EVERYTHING even the 'extra info' bits just incase hah ?
its okay :smile: correct answer though

Thanks :smile: Explain some properties of water and why water has a higher melting point than NH3.
Original post by Loquacious
Thanks so much, phew !
Do you get that urge though, to revise EVERYTHING even the 'extra info' bits just incase hah ?

I wouldn't take my word for it though as it could possibly appear, I'm just saying its rather unlikely and that I don't cover it myself and well considering I'm in my A2 year I haven't covered everything in this unit as the 2nd year units are massive in comparison!
Thanks :smile: Explain some properties of water and why water has a higher melting point than NH3.

Some ?

Okay, wtaer has a relatively high boiling and melting point because a lot of energy is needed to overcome the hydrogen bonds. Also ice is less dense than water because as an open lattice with hydrogen bonds.

Higher than NH3 ? Is it because Oxygen is more electronegative than nitrogen ?
Some ?

Okay, wtaer has a relatively high boiling and melting point because a lot of energy is needed to overcome the hydrogen bonds. Also ice is less dense than water because as an open lattice with hydrogen bonds.

Higher than NH3 ? Is it because Oxygen is more electronegative than nitrogen ?

That's correct and I was thinking more along the lines that water has stronger hydrogen bonds because of the electronegativities and also that the Oxygen has 2 lone pairs of electrons whereas Nitrogen has only 1 lone pair of electrons.
does anyone have the 2013 paper and mark scheme??
Reply 136
had a look through the specification and was unsure on what this actually meant (the 'relative energies' part) "Describe the relative energies of s-, p- and d- orbitals for the shells 1, 2, 3 and the 4s and 4p orbitals" can anyone explain please? :smile:
Original post by Legal drugdealer
does anyone have the 2013 paper and mark scheme??

I can send it to you via email if you want

Original post by sladyy96
had a look through the specification and was unsure on what this actually meant (the 'relative energies' part) "Describe the relative energies of s-, p- and d- orbitals for the shells 1, 2, 3 and the 4s and 4p orbitals" can anyone explain please? :smile:

Think is saying that electrons fill from low energies (1s2) to higher energies (2s2)
Original post by yodawg321
I can send it to you via email if you want

Think is saying that electrons fill from low energies (1s2) to higher energies (2s2)

cant you just upload it please :biggrin:
Original post by Legal drugdealer
cant you just upload it please :biggrin:

On my ipad and don't think I can upload from it

Latest

Trending

Trending