The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry, unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by homefind
What was the Q like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was just something like, "What did JJ Thompson find out? What experiment did Rutherford and his team conduct to find that the positive charge was all in the central nucleus?" Not really exam-styled xD
Reply 121
Original post by Cheryladair
Hey does anyone know any good sites for revising organic chemistry.
fractional distillation and cracking and all that kind of stuff?

My Chemistry teacher who teaches the organic side of the course raves about Chemguide, I don't really like it (maybe just the yellow page-ness lol) I prefer using my Nelson Thornes book :biggrin:

But here it is anyway:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/orgmenu.html#top
I know this might be a simple point but does anyone get confused about when you are supposed to say "VDW Between MOLECULES" or when its supposed to be VDW between ATOMS

:redface:
Reply 123
Original post by Cheryladair
Hey does anyone know any good sites for revising organic chemistry.
fractional distillation and cracking and all that kind of stuff?

I dont know if it's any good for those but docbrown is a good website as is chemguide :biggrin:
Reply 124
Original post by gooner1886
I know this might be a simple point but does anyone get confused about when you are supposed to say "VDW Between MOLECULES" or when its supposed to be VDW between ATOMS

Between molecules :smile:
http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/

is an excellent website.
Reply 126

I get confused between Alkanes and Alkenes sometimes so ... xD
Original post by Paulineuh
My Chemistry teacher who teaches the organic side of the course raves about Chemguide, I don't really like it (maybe just the yellow page-ness lol) I prefer using my Nelson Thornes book :biggrin:

But here it is anyway:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/orgmenu.html#top

Thanks! no mention of cracking though :frown:
Original post by maryamnc
Between molecules :smile:

Thanks.

Its always between molecules right? Never atoms?

Makes sense I suppose - since it is an interMOLECULAR force :redface: (oops)

So e.g. when you're talking about why S has a higher melting point than P- you'd say it is a bigger atom, so has stronger VDW between molecules?
http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/

is an excellent website.

THANKYOU! They seem to have quite a bit :smile:
Reply 130
Thanks.

Its always between molecules right? Never atoms?

Makes sense I suppose - since it is an interMOLECULAR force :redface: (oops)

So e.g. when you're talking about why S has a higher melting point than P- you'd say it is a bigger atom, so has stronger VDW between molecules?

Yup, it's a bigger atom and has more electrons so this means stronger VDW between molecules to more energy is required to overcome this
Original post by maryamnc
Yup, it's a bigger atom and has more electrons so this means stronger VDW between molecules to more energy is required to overcome this

Got it.

Thanks!!
What two definitions has everyone learnt for the definition of "relative atomic mass"?
Reply 133
What two definitions has everyone learnt for the definition of "relative atomic mass"?

The weighed average of an atom of an element relative to 1/12th the relative atomic mass of C12.

Also, the equation:

Average mass of one atom of an element X 12/mass of an atom of 12C
Reply 134
Original post by a.jiwa
your welcome! goodluck tomorrow:biggrin:

Thank you, you too :biggrin:
In questions where you are asked for the molecular formula, will they give you the 'relative molecular mass of E' in the question?

Thanks.
Reply 136
Original post by Stanley Winchest
In questions where you are asked for the molecular formula, will they give you the 'relative molecular mass of E' in the question?

Thanks.

yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I usually answer my trivial questions as I'm writing them out.
Good luck.
Reply 138

Why have you learnt two ? :s-smilie:
Anyone got a copy of the unit 1 Jan 2013 makscheme? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending