The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CanineVet
No AI today :frown: but got to do other vetty things! The vet (from Glasgow uni) who usually does it was away so someone else was in plus none were ready for it. Ah well, I've mentioned the rest in the post above :wink:

That's a pity. This is the second time you've missed it, isn't it? :frown: Oh well, I'm sure you'll get a chance eventually :smile:

What's a PD? :colondollar: *It's going to turn out to be something super obvious, I know*
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
That's a pity. This is the second time you've missed it, isn't it? :frown: Oh well, I'm sure you'll get a chance eventually :smile:

What's a PD? :colondollar: *It's going to turn out to be something super obvious, I know*

PD = pregnancy diagnosis/diagnosing

(aka - rectalling/sticking your hand up a cows backside!) to check if the cow is cycling, if she is pregnant (and if so how long)
Reply 1142
Original post by jordyn2
The tuition for international students is astronomical! Hopefully, I'll get a job in the next year and start saving. I doubt I'd return to America to work, but it's possible. It's a shame Cambridge and Bristol aren't AVMA accredited, but who knows, maybe they will be by the time I'm at uni.

I know it's incomprehensible how much it asks for! I know you never know, a few places are trying to gain the accreditation. :smile:

Pregnancy diagnosing :smile: I know at least I got to do vet work, last time I was stuck at home with torticollis :frown: hopefully in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1143
Original post by kookabura

(aka - rectalling/sticking your hand up a cows backside!) to check if the cow is cycling, if she is pregnant (and if so how long)

Beat me to it! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kookabura

Pregnancy diagnosing :smile: I know at least I got to do vet work, last time I was stuck at home with torticollis :frown: hopefully in the summer.

D'oh, I knew it'd be something obvious :tongue: . Thank you both :smile: .
Reply 1145
I know it's incomprehensible how much it asks for! I know you never know, a few places are trying to gain the accreditation. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crossing my fingers they'll all get accredited!
Original post by jordyn2
There aren't too many vet schools in America that interest me besides Cornell, and I really enjoyed myself when I visited in October. So much that I'm coming back in July!:biggrin:

That's interesting, I thought there were quite a lot of vet schools in the US to choose from! Is it true that it takes a lot longer to graduate as a vet than the 5 years it takes in the uk because you need an undergraduate degree first? I've also heard reports that there is an oversupply of vets in clinical practise in the US and it seems some vets and graduates are struggling over there which is a really big shame and I hope the UK doesn't follow suit which such an outcome.
I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go to the farm on Saturday :s-smilie: . On one hand it's sheep shearing day, so that will be interesting to see, but on the other hand I still have seven exams to go and I should really spend my time working towards those. Am I going to be missing out by not watching the sheep being sheared? They're bringing in people to go it, and obviously it's not done regularly so it's not like the farmer could just show me another time. If I do go in, I'll probably be working with the ponies so I may not get a chance to see the shearing anyway. Having said that the weather forecast for Saturday is looking pretty naff so we probably won't have that many visitors, so I might get a chance to take a peek after all. Dilemma :tongue:
Reply 1148
Original post by SilverstarDJ
That's interesting, I thought there were quite a lot of vet schools in the US to choose from! Is it true that it takes a lot longer to graduate as a vet than the 5 years it takes in the uk because you need an undergraduate degree first? I've also heard reports that there is an oversupply of vets in clinical practise in the US and it seems some vets and graduates are struggling over there which is a really big shame and I hope the UK doesn't follow suit which such an outcome.

There are about 30 vet schools, but you're correct. You have to get an undergrad degree and then go to vet school which is a long process. I'd much rather get started on the field that really interests me right after high school! It is true, we have a ton of vets! I don't know about other places but there are vet clinics around every corner here!
Original post by jordyn2
There are about 30 vet schools, but you're correct. You have to get an undergrad degree and then go to vet school which is a long process. I'd much rather get started on the field that really interests me right after high school! It is true, we have a ton of vets! I don't know about other places but there are vet clinics around every corner here!

So how many years would it take you to become a vet? 3 years undergrad + 4/5 years = 7/8 years!? Sure sounds a lot and a bit pointless to get an undergrad first. I've also heard that such a long time to study is crippling some of the students with such high debts.... out of interest how much does it cost in tuition per year for an undergrad & also a vet degree? Just wondering how it compared to the UK ! :tongue:

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go to the farm on Saturday :s-smilie: . On one hand it's sheep shearing day, so that will be interesting to see, but on the other hand I still have seven exams to go and I should really spend my time working towards those. Am I going to be missing out by not watching the sheep being sheared? They're bringing in people to go it, and obviously it's not done regularly so it's not like the farmer could just show me another time. If I do go in, I'll probably be working with the ponies so I may not get a chance to see the shearing anyway. Having said that the weather forecast for Saturday is looking pretty naff so we probably won't have that many visitors, so I might get a chance to take a peek after all. Dilemma :tongue:

If I am honest, shearing is very physically demanding so it is unlikely they would let you have a go, especially when visitors are watching. It's not crucial that you see this, if I were you I'd concentrate on exam revision. You can watch plenty of you tube videos of shearing, as like I said before, you're unlikely to be taught how to shear yourself. You can see a shearing video perhaps. I'd ask a few questions about shearing though (and it's not that exciting and from what I've heard very very tiring). next time you go to the farm, I'd ask a few questions about this, such as: why do they shear them? how often are they sheared? how much does it wool cost compared to the cost of shearing?

Just my personal thoughts. You have plenty of time to do more wex without exams looming too much...!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1150
So how many years would it take you to become a vet? 3 years undergrad + 4/5 years = 7/8 years!? Sure sounds a lot and a bit pointless to get an undergrad first. I've also heard that such a long time to study is crippling some of the students with such high debts.... out of interest how much does it cost in tuition per year for an undergrad & also a vet degree? Just wondering how it compared to the UK ! :tongue:

We actually have 4 years undergrad! It's crazy. It takes so long to become a doctor or a vet or a lawyer. Tuition at an Ivy League can be up to $80,000 or about £50,000 per year. That's only at really prestigious universities. State universities are about $10,000 or £6,500 if you are a resident of the state. There is quite a difference depending on which uni you choose.
Reply 1151

Dilemma indeed. As Silverstar said, I would go for the revision shearing is quite good to watch but it isn't a big miss if you don't see it plus all you will be doing is watching most likely. At this stage, grades are more important :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I am honest, shearing is very physically demanding so it is unlikely they would let you have a go, especially when visitors are watching. It's not crucial that you see this, if I were you I'd concentrate on exam revision. You can watch plenty of you tube videos of shearing, as like I said before, you're unlikely to be taught how to shear yourself. You can see a shearing video perhaps. I'd ask a few questions about shearing though (and it's not that exciting and from what I've heard very very tiring). next time you go to the farm, I'd ask a few questions about this, such as: why do they shear them? how often are they sheared? how much does it wool cost compared to the cost of shearing?

Just my personal thoughts. You have plenty of time to do more wex without exams looming too much...!

Dilemma indeed. As Silverstar said, I would go for the revision shearing is quite good to watch but it isn't a big miss if you don't see it plus all you will be doing is watching most likely. At this stage, grades are more important :wink:

I see, thanks for your input both of you :biggrin: . There's literally no chance that I'd be able to do any shearing myself; they're getting people from another farm to do it because our farmers haven't done it before. The chance therefore of a lowly volunteer getting a go are nil, especially if it is a tough job as you said, Silverstar. I'll watch some videos and maybe go next year :h:
Reply 1153
Original post by jordyn2
We actually have 4 years undergrad! It's crazy. It takes so long to become a doctor or a vet or a lawyer. Tuition at an Ivy League can be up to $80,000 or about £50,000 per year. That's only at really prestigious universities. State universities are about $10,000 or £6,500 if you are a resident of the state. There is quite a difference depending on which uni you choose.

Dear sweet lord that's nearly double the starting salary here per year! $10,000/£6,500 isn't too bad I suppose but you must be a millionaire or crazy to afford the 'prestigious' one. But a degree is a degree. It's like when Cambridge and Oxford are hyped up over here, Cambridge being the only of the two to offer vet med (in spite of its controversial dynamic theory:tongue:ractical ratio) a degree from there is just as good as one from any of the other six current schools :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1154
Dear sweet lord that's nearly double the starting salary here per year! $10,000/£6,500 isn't too bad I suppose but you must be a millionaire or crazy to afford the 'prestigious' one. But a degree is a degree. It's like when Cambridge and Oxford are hyped up over here, Cambridge being the only of the two to offer vet med (in spite of its controversial dynamic theory:tongue:ractical ratio) a degree from there is just as good as one from any of the other six current schools :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our universities are crazy expensive. Unfortunately, if I go to a school in the UK it won't be much cheaper than the average American university.:frown:
Original post by jordyn2
Our universities are crazy expensive. Unfortunately, if I go to a school in the UK it won't be much cheaper than the average American university.:frown:

Do you not get student loans in the US then? Here in England tuition fees are £9,000 per year, but we get a loan which we begin to pay off once we start earning more than £21,000 per year. That's really shocking about your tuition fees :eek: . I'm surprised you have so many vets in that case, how do they all afford it? :tongue:
Reply 1156
Do you not get student loans in the US then? Here in England tuition fees are £9,000 per year, but we get a loan which we begin to pay off once we start earning more than £21,000 per year. That's really shocking about your tuition fees :eek: . I'm surprised you have so many vets in that case, how do they all afford it? :tongue:

We get student loans, but people spend many, many, many years paying them off.
Original post by jordyn2
We get student loans, but people spend many, many, many years paying them off.

That's a shame. :frown: I think ours get written off if we can't pay them by a certain time (30 years, if I remember correctly?) It really shouldn't be so expensive.
Reply 1158
That's a shame. :frown: I think ours get written off if we can't pay them by a certain time (30 years, if I remember correctly?) It really shouldn't be so expensive.

I'm not sure if ours get written off. The price of higher education in our country defers many people from attending uni. It's quite sad:frown:
Original post by jordyn2
The tuition for international students is astronomical! Hopefully, I'll get a job in the next year and start saving. I doubt I'd return to America to work, but it's possible. It's a shame Cambridge and Bristol aren't AVMA accredited, but who knows, maybe they will be by the time I'm at uni.

Hi there, I'm a 2013 applicant with an offer for Bristol and I just thought I would let you know that Bristol are in the process of getting AVMA accredited so in the next few years they should get accreditation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending