The Student Room Group

edexcel IGCSE 2013 may students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aadit999
I think its velocity times CSA that gives you discharge. What are ranging poles? I would use a float like an orange to measure velocity over a certain distance, and use a tape measure and a metre rule to find the width of the bank and depth and then calculate CSA. Do this at many stages in a river and record and analyse.

thnx aadit. ranging poles are the red and white poles put on each bank to measure tthe width accurately. for measuring the velocity, i think u can even use the flow metre. and do u know the exact method for determining the weather?
Reply 481
Temperature and wind speed measurement has come in both the previous papers, so I doubt it. Three Gorges Dam is fun and then theres one on water demand for a specific country, might come. Hazards, you use the case studies in the text book, or have you made your own? For economic activity, do you have a good case study for sectoral comparisions between MEDCs and LEDCs? I do the same ones, just that I do favelas do you do it?

All the case studies are from the book. I doubt you can use your own, external ones. Also the new syllabus wants us to use LICS and MICs not LEDCs and MEDCs. Yep, i do favelas as well.
Reply 482
Anybody for Physics 2? Don't think nuclear radioactivity should come since it was there in paper 1, yeah?
Reply 483
Original post by Vorte
All the case studies are from the book. I doubt you can use your own, external ones. Also the new syllabus wants us to use LICS and MICs not LEDCs and MEDCs. Yep, i do favelas as well.

You can use your own case studies about your local area, they never tell you to use a specific one, they ask for a named place or river or hazard. And an advantage of using one from your local area, they wont know specific details. I know that, but since long I have been used to LEDCs and even use that in economics, but yeah I will have to use LICs, MICs and HICs.
Reply 484
Original post by arkajyotig
thnx aadit. ranging poles are the red and white poles put on each bank to measure tthe width accurately. for measuring the velocity, i think u can even use the flow metre. and do u know the exact method for determining the weather?

No problem, oh yeaah those white and red poles, I was wondering what they were called. But for width I think measuring tape or metre rule is okay. And how do ranging poles measure accurately are there scaled or? Whats a flow metre? The float method is easy, its similar to physics so I prefer it. Weather theres pressure with barometer, wind speed with anemometer, wind direction with wind vane or wind sock, temperature there Stevensons Screen thermometer and rainfall, rain gauge, I think these are the ones. But then youve to talk about accurate measuring and collecting data, presenting and analysis. Even talk about actions before carrying out a fieldwork. Typical fieldwork study.
Reply 485
Original post by Streeej
Anybody for Physics 2? Don't think nuclear radioactivity should come since it was there in paper 1, yeah?

Exactly, cause all parts of radioactivity came, the part of alpha and beta came. The part of the fission products came, the dangers and safety part came. The Rutherford Model might come, few chances though, did it come in P1?
Reply 486
Hi, anyone who does ICT plz help me to know what is the difference between a podcast and a broadcast?
Original post by Ilyatim
Hi, anyone who does ICT plz help me to know what is the difference between a podcast and a broadcast?

This should satisfy your query http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-podcast-and-vs-broadcast/

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem, oh yeaah those white and red poles, I was wondering what they were called. But for width I think measuring tape or metre rule is okay. And how do ranging poles measure accurately are there scaled or? Whats a flow metre? The float method is easy, its similar to physics so I prefer it. Weather theres pressure with barometer, wind speed with anemometer, wind direction with wind vane or wind sock, temperature there Stevensons Screen thermometer and rainfall, rain gauge, I think these are the ones. But then youve to talk about accurate measuring and collecting data, presenting and analysis. Even talk about actions before carrying out a fieldwork. Typical fieldwork study.

Thnx. the ranging poles are put on each side of the bank so they are the same height and then the metre rule or tape measure is used to measure the width. it is used when the two banks are of different heights. i found out about the flow metre in some random geo notes. it has some propeller kind of stuff which spins when immersed in the water and then a reading comes (velocity).....could u plz tell me some presenting techniques and the actions before carrying out a feildwork. Btw did u check out the latest 2014 June geo specification? it has some feildwork questions on most of the chapters.....just chk out section C in it.....ext year candidates r unlucky-3 hours exam!
Reply 489
Exactly, cause all parts of radioactivity came, the part of alpha and beta came. The part of the fission products came, the dangers and safety part came. The Rutherford Model might come, few chances though, did it come in P1?

Yeah, so basically nothing about Radioactivity. *fingers crossed* But there was barely anything on electricity so there are high chances for that! Could anyone explain how high voltage cables are more useful in step up transformers?

Hey is this podcast and broadcast stuff in our specification?....which specification r we doing?-the 2011 one?:confused:
Reply 491
Hey is this podcast and broadcast stuff in our specification?....which specification r we doing?-the 2011 one?:confused:

I don't think so but I did this topic with my ICT teacher.
Yeah we are using the 2011 spec...
Original post by xyz17
I don't think so but I did this topic with my ICT teacher.
Yeah we are using the 2011 spec...

Thnx
Reply 493
Original post by Streeej
Yeah, so basically nothing about Radioactivity. *fingers crossed* But there was barely anything on electricity so there are high chances for that! Could anyone explain how high voltage cables are more useful in step up transformers?

But I like radioactivity, I find it easier than many topics. There was quite a bit on resistance but regarding series and parallel, there was nothing and even on mains electricity there wasn't, so yeah that could be a potential question. High voltage cables means less current flows in the cables as Power = Voltage times current, and if power is constant, an increase in Voltage means a decrease in current. A decrease in current is beneficial as there is less heat loss to the surrounding, so less power loss, hence high voltage cables are more efficient.
Reply 494
Thnx. the ranging poles are put on each side of the bank so they are the same height and then the metre rule or tape measure is used to measure the width. it is used when the two banks are of different heights. i found out about the flow metre in some random geo notes. it has some propeller kind of stuff which spins when immersed in the water and then a reading comes (velocity).....could u plz tell me some presenting techniques and the actions before carrying out a feildwork. Btw did u check out the latest 2014 June geo specification? it has some feildwork questions on most of the chapters.....just chk out section C in it.....ext year candidates r unlucky-3 hours exam!

Yeah I read about that in the Activebook fieldwork. Yeah the flowmeter is another option for measuring velocity. Presentation techniques are mostly the types of graphs, reports on fieldwork and graphs and analysis and tally tables, and annotated sketches and captioned pictures. I dont know more. Actions before a visit: pre-visit, background research, preparation of a questionnaire (if needed) you must prepare and test the tools you going to use, must have objectives and guess you need permission from the authorities like the one you visiting and your school. Yeah I looked at it, it is 180 marks and 3 hours thats bad. But those are more detailed fieldwork our fieldwork ones are not so bad.
anyone doing history? :smile:
Reply 496
Original post by you-only-live-once

Yeah, I'm doing it. Which topics are you doing?
Reply 497
Reply 498
Original post by you-only-live-once

Yeah. Topics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ilyatim
Yeah, I'm doing it. Which topics are you doing?

A3 Germany
A9 International Relations
B3 Russia
C5 Middle East

You?

Quick Reply

Latest