The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by krisshP
Oh the hydrogen has a delta + and is attracted to the lone pair on oxygen.

Thanks

Btw it says in the spec that we have to know about batch and continuous production, but it had not come up on past papers. What do they want us to know about it an what even is batch and continuous? Advantages and disadvantages o each method?

Thanks

It's summed up nicely on page 72 of the CGP revision guide :smile:
Original post by krisshP
Oh the hydrogen has a delta + and is attracted to the lone pair on oxygen.

Thanks

Btw it says in the spec that we have to know about batch and continuous production, but it had not come up on past papers. What do they want us to know about it an what even is batch and continuous? Advantages and disadvantages o each method?

Thanks

oh my god! thanks for reminding me of that I had to go over the chapter on green chemistry. Yep just basic disadvantages and advantages.
Reply 282
Original post by nukethemaly
oh my god! thanks for reminding me of that I had to go over the chapter on green chemistry. Yep just basic disadvantages and advantages.

What's on green chemistry chapter, just batch vs continuous?
Original post by krisshP
What's on green chemistry chapter, just batch vs continuous?

stuff like plant location, costs and efficiency, and waste disposal.
Reply 284
Not sure if this has tripped anyone else up, but I just did a past paper question that confused me a little.

Normally, the reagents and conditions required for hydrogenation are: Hydrogen, high temperature and pressure and a hot nickel catalyst.

However, the question stated that the reaction was carried about at room temperature. Therefore, a hot nickel catalyst couldn't be used. Instead you have to use platinum.

So for hydrogenation at room temperature you need: Hydrogen and a Platinum catalyst.

At my Sixth Form it wasn't really stressed that this was the case, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else had left it out of their revision :smile:
Reply 285
Original post by nukethemaly
stuff like plant location, costs and efficiency, and waste disposal.

But there's no past paper questions on that chapter.
Reply 286
Yeah for lab conditions you use a platinum catalyst instead
Original post by krisshP

Maybe they can ask that this year?
Reply 288
Original post by krisshP

I've seen one question on why it's useful to build a new plant near a plant that already exists or something - so stuff on those chapters can come up, but to be honest I wouldn't stress about it because if it does come up it's unlikely to be many marks and it's kind of common sense! I just made very brief notes on those chapters :smile:

I would rather drink HCl than do this exam - revision for it seems endless!
Original post by krisshP
Say if they say describe how hydrogen bonds form. Is this okay

Lone pair on oxygen attracted to hydrogen with a delta + charge.

I don't get what attracts what. Does the oxygen attract hydrogen? Or does the hydrogen attract oxygen? Or does hydrogen attract the lone pair on oxygen? Or what?

Thanks

It's not just oxygen; it could be nitrogen, oxygen or flourine.

Original post by ambbs
I would rather drink HCl than do this exam - revision for it seems endless!

:lolwut:
Reply 290
Original post by usycool1

Yeah that might have been a slight exaggeration...:redface: but this past year has made me absolutely despise chemistry to be honest and I can't wait for this exam to be over - it's the one I've been dreading the most and it's far too soon for my liking!
Original post by ambbs
Yeah that might have been a slight exaggeration...:redface: but this past year has made me absolutely despise chemistry to be honest and I can't wait for this exam to be over - it's the one I've been dreading the most and it's far too soon for my liking!

:console:

It is hard, but it will be over very soon now. :yep: And I'm sure you'll do amazingly!
Reply 292
:console:

It is hard, but it will be over very soon now. :yep: And I'm sure you'll do amazingly!

Aw thank you, I hope so :smile: and I'm sure you will too :biggrin: I'm just annoyed with myself because I made quite a few stupid mistakes in unit 1 when it was actually a decent paper so now I have to really make sure I don't mess this exam up! I wish there was an equal split between unit 1 and 2, it's a pain to have so much more to remember for this exam (especially when I find most of it so boring!) But you're right, the exam may be very soon but that also means it will be over very soon!
Original post by Zarah01
hey guys, really dreading this exam as i gather most of you are -_-
can someone please help me on a q from the jan 2010 paper?
here's the question:

1f. Scientists monitor the composition of the Earth's atmosphere. They have found that the concentration of carbon dioxide in dry, unpolluted tropospheric air has increased from 300ppm to around 380ppm between 1900 and the present day.
i) Taking the present day value to be 380ppm, calculate the increase in the percentage of carbon dioxide in the air between 1900 and the present day.

I converted the values into percentages so,
380/100000=0.0038% and 300/100000=0.0030%
so the difference between these values is 0.008, therefore 0.008/0.003

but according to the mark scheme its meant to be 0.008/8*10^ -3.
Any help would be appreciated, its only one mark but its really frustrating me. Thanks in advance :smile:

you are dividing by 100k but it should be 10k ..you're meant to divide by a million then multiply by a 100.. which would basically be dividing by 10k, and the % difference is all they want so they give it as 0.008% or in standard form 8x10^-3
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 294
Original post by super121
It's summed up nicely on page 72 of the CGP revision guide :smile:

I don't have that book. Can you please please upload a pic of it?

Thanks
Reply 295
It's not just oxygen; it could be nitrogen, oxygen or flourine.

Yeah, I know that. But still just say oxygen for exam purposes otherwise you may run out of time, besides the mark schemes allow it.
Reply 296
Original post by ambbs

Exactly. I find direct memorizing of mechanisms and stuff like converting alkene-->alcohol needs phosphoric acid catalyst, steam, night temperature and pressure..... BORING :frown:. This part is so ridiculous! Luckily after this exam, chemistry is done :smile:
Reply 297
Original post by ambbs
Aw thank you, I hope so :smile: and I'm sure you will too :biggrin: I'm just annoyed with myself because I made quite a few stupid mistakes in unit 1 when it was actually a decent paper so now I have to really make sure I don't mess this exam up! I wish there was an equal split between unit 1 and 2, it's a pain to have so much more to remember for this exam (especially when I find most of it so boring!) But you're right, the exam may be very soon but that also means it will be over very soon!

I know F332 is such a FAT big unit with so much content
Reply 298
Btw use chem guide for E/Z isomers topic since the CI book I poor in that topic, while chemguide is much better.
Reply 299
One question

What really is oxidation?

It means loss of electrons in Redox. But what does it actually mean in organic chemistry, like saying alcohol oxidises to aldehyde then oxidises to carboxylic acid?

Latest

Trending

Trending