The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

So have people learned the translation for the set texts like we had to last year?

EDIT: I do know we don't have to, but I was wondering if anyone had bothered? I haven't and I'm regretting it a bit now!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SixteenHundred
Nope. I've not done a lot of prose because I'm cramming the verse so much though. I actually prefer Livy to Caesar because the technical military jargon was even worse with Caesar, but that isn't to say that Livy's a good option in any way, shape or form. What about the prose composition?

The prose comp isn't actually as bad as it sounds - there is a tendency to be like OH MY GOD IT'S HARD ENOUGH TRANSLATING LATIN TO ENGLISH BUT NOW WE HAVE TO DO IT THE OTHER WAY AROUND?! But after that initial reaction, which I definitely had when I found out I was doing prose comp, I gave it a go and it's surprisingly okay - the only problem is the CLC doesn't prepare you for **** with grammar, so I've pretty much had to cram all that. Anyone else doing prose comp?
Original post by binxgillam
The prose comp isn't actually as bad as it sounds - there is a tendency to be like OH MY GOD IT'S HARD ENOUGH TRANSLATING LATIN TO ENGLISH BUT NOW WE HAVE TO DO IT THE OTHER WAY AROUND?! But after that initial reaction, which I definitely had when I found out I was doing prose comp, I gave it a go and it's surprisingly okay - the only problem is the CLC doesn't prepare you for **** with grammar, so I've pretty much had to cram all that. Anyone else doing prose comp?

Yup, totally agree, and about CLC as well! I am a complete wreck with my grammar (including learning the declensions pretty much this year and still being iffy on them now). I am planning to do the prose comp, unless it's an absolute monster, so I am prepping the Livy just in case. Doing some practice Ovid passages right now - Ovid hexameters is pretty much just Metamorphoses, right?
Ovid's only hexameter poem is Metamorphoses, but it's just so bloody huge. And the problem is that because it's not elegiac couplets which tend to be contained, the syntax can stretch on for line after line which makes them harder to translate in my opinion.
Yup, totally agree, and about CLC as well! I am a complete wreck with my grammar (including learning the declensions pretty much this year and still being iffy on them now). I am planning to do the prose comp, unless it's an absolute monster, so I am prepping the Livy just in case. Doing some practice Ovid passages right now - Ovid hexameters is pretty much just Metamorphoses, right?

My teacher used to mark the Latin A2 and he said that the students who did prose comp had a much higher average mark than those who did the comprehension (of course that was a different author though) so I'm pretty happy. I don't think it'll be bad at all - both the past papers I've done have been very manageable. You will definitely get a section of metamorphoses, yes. My teacher has advised us to read the whole book in English (which I haven't done) so we know what's going on, but his hexameter is okay to translate, if you know grammar and a decent amount of vocab. My advice at this point would be to make sure you know as much of the AS list as you can, because usually you can figure out the verse words from context. Also, what's this about not learning your texts?!
Original post by binxgillam
My teacher used to mark the Latin A2 and he said that the students who did prose comp had a much higher average mark than those who did the comprehension (of course that was a different author though) so I'm pretty happy. I don't think it'll be bad at all - both the past papers I've done have been very manageable. You will definitely get a section of metamorphoses, yes. My teacher has advised us to read the whole book in English (which I haven't done) so we know what's going on, but his hexameter is okay to translate, if you know grammar and a decent amount of vocab. My advice at this point would be to make sure you know as much of the AS list as you can, because usually you can figure out the verse words from context. Also, what's this about not learning your texts?!

Yep, mine have said pretty much the same. I was getting 80ish before revision (my teacher marks incredibly generously though and I was actually closer to 60s-70s when I went back over it) so hopefully that'll improve for the prose itself. I've read a portion of it in translation but not the entirety.

I haven't learned the translations of the poems word for word, just enough so I know quotes and a general understanding of the context.
(edited 10 years ago)
How many people are doing the Propertius, and how many the Virgil?
Reply 87
Stressed about the verse. I'm just not sure how it is going to go. I know the Aeneid in translation, but nowhere near enough stylistic points. Ive learnt the john taylor lists, so im thinking going over grammar and some notes for the aeneid will be done tomorrow. Only problem is its fathers day!! Obviously I will spend time with my dad, but its going to get in the way of a full days latin revision!
Reply 88
Arrgghhhh so worried about this :frown:

WHY IS LATIN SO DIFFICULT :mad:
Reply 89
Original post by joereed
stressed about the verse. I'm just not sure how it is going to go. I know the aeneid in translation, but nowhere near enough stylistic points. Ive learnt the john taylor lists, so im thinking going over grammar and some notes for the aeneid will be done tomorrow. Only problem is its fathers day!! Obviously i will spend time with my dad, but its going to get in the way of a full days latin revision!

holy pancakes it's fathers' day
Reply 90
Absolutely dreading the language, I am incapable 😱😱😱😱

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 91
Original post by vm7169
Absolutely dreading the language, I am incapable

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

SO AM I IM DYING I made an account on TSR just to stress how much im not looking forward to the Ovid unseen trans!!
Reply 92
So have people learned the translation for the set texts like we had to last year?

EDIT: I do know we don't have to, but I was wondering if anyone had bothered? I haven't and I'm regretting it a bit now!

trust me i havent learnt the translation but ive tried to learn all the stylist stuff associated with certain phrases- we dont need to translate at all so we should be fine! tbh its not the lit im too worried about- ITS THE LANGUAGE WAHHHH im so worried about translating the ovid unseens
Reply 93
Hiya everyone, here is a link to my massive revision powerpoint for the Aeneid, on getrevising.com :smile:
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/aeneid_iv_complete_translation_and_notes
Hope it helps x
I am so not looking forward to the paper tomorrow! Anyone else feeling like this!?
To those saying we don't have to translate... the examiners' reports do say that to get marks for AO2 you need to be quoting and translating the Latin?
Reply 96
Original post by LuxVeritatis
To those saying we don't have to translate... the examiners' reports do say that to get marks for AO2 you need to be quoting and translating the Latin?

Yeah to get AO2 your analysis needs to be close and referenced to the Latin, and if quoting the latin, it always has to be translated
Reply 97
Original post by LuxVeritatis

Is this only for the first commentary essay though? I didn't think we had to quote Latin on the essay analysing the whole of the book?
Reply 98
Original post by emma2013
Yeah to get AO2 your analysis needs to be close and referenced to the Latin, and if quoting the latin, it always has to be translated

Technically they only say it has to be clear that you understand what it means, so you don't actually have to put in brackets the translation after every single quotation, e.g. if you say 'Virgil emphasises how big Rumour is with 'ingens' and 'magnas'' surely it's obvious you know what those words mean? :s-smilie:

Original post by ohmygosh
Is this only for the first commentary essay though? I didn't think we had to quote Latin on the essay analysing the whole of the book?

Yep, pretty sure you're right.
Reply 99
Original post by emma2013
Arrgghhhh so worried about this :frown:

WHY IS LATIN SO DIFFICULT :mad:

Interesting though. As much as I hate tacitus, I find the realistic nature of the annals, with what he says being fact, very interesting. On the flip side, virgil captures the imagination of an epic brilliantly, I particularly liked book 2 at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending