The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Right now I have:
2 weeks SA vet (plus 12 hours now I'm doing every Saturday)
1.5 days dairy
About 2 days stable (long term at the RDA, I've done 14 hours)
About 2 day’s cattery (long term, 14 hours)
11 hours at this 2 day animal care course through my school, not sure if this counts haha!

Booked for the summer I have 2 days at differentSA vet and 2 weeks at an animal sanctuary. Hoping to book more but it seems unlikely. I will probably spend a lot of days at the cattery and the SA vet because they are lovely! :biggrin: I need to see if I can get more dairy and other farm placements J
I don't know if it's just on my computer but my above post went all weird. I tried to paragraph, as I don't know what's up with my enter key, on word and then I pasted it...it kinda went funny :rolleyes:
Well today was quite eventful :biggrin: In the morning I was helping out in the petting area of the urban farm. We put the baby bun-buns in, they went mad in the extra space, bless 'em. They were climbing on hay bales and skipping about, it was so cute :love: . I was helping out one of the workers to clean out the guinea pigs and she said that she's going to speak to the farmer about getting some rats and ferrets on the petting area :awesome: . We also want tortoises, skunks, chinchillas, capybaras, emus, pygmy goats, llamas, alpacas, raccoons, peacocks and a fish tank, but we'll have to take it bit by bit :wink:

PLANTED MORE DAMN POTATOES and ripped a hole in my wellies with a spade :emo: . R.I.P. Shoe Zone wellies 2012-2013 never forget :frown: . Don't ask how I managed to stab my foot with a relatively blunt object, I did it because I'm special and talented :wink: . Later, at the train station, I managed to fall up the stairs (**** gravity :cool: ). I really do have two left feet sometimes it's unbelievable :lol:

Dairy farm was INCREDIBLE as usual! Got to drive the JCB again :dance: ! The farmer gave me a real proper lesson :biggrin: . I was really anxious because this time we were in a field with trees in it and I was really worried I was going to crash into something, but I managed to steer myself away. He let me control the arm thing as well (dunno what to call it, the spike that hay bales are mounted on) and he let me go a bit faster as well :biggrin: It's sooooooo fun you have no idea :biggrin:

Original post by CanineVet
You're a wee rogue tractor driver :tongue:. But that's so cool you've done that! I'm 'well jell' haha! That doesn't sound too complicated but I haven't drove a car either so I can't really judge :tongue:.

It would be so epic though, breed them and sell us the pups :wink:.

What?!?! Are you insaaaane! I love potatoes except for roasties ironically - mash, boiled, chips I love them all! :lol:

Exactly!! I feel like a bodybuilder compared to two years ago, maybe that's an exaggeration :tongue:. We should walk into a gym with a wheelbarrow full of feed and stick them onto the end of the bars instead :lol:.

Are you kidding, they made Jurassic park - it showed a more pessimistic and exaggerated side to owning dinosaurs, mainly just to stop any other farms copying them y'see :lol:!

Why thankyou :wink:. I know Im fed up reading PRSOM when I click to rate you lot! They should reduce the number really :yep: and change it to be able to rate on the app instead of going on to safari, log in just to give a thumbs up... Almighty TSR gods please read this message :tongue:.

The roads of London are no longer safe :colone: (Or shall I say fields, driving a tractor on public roads at my age without a license is a wee bit illegal :wink: )

I would if I could. If it were up to me we'd have puppies in every enclosure! :lol: (And rats. Rats are the best animals :cool: )

They don't taste of anything :coma: . And the texture is just bleugh.

I can actually see my biceps if I bend my arms now :teeth: . 'World's Strongest Woman' here I come! :lol:

Trying to stave away competition, very clever :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Well today was quite eventful :biggrin: In the morning I was helping out in the petting area of the urban farm. We put the baby bun-buns in, they went mad in the extra space, bless 'em. They were climbing on hay bales and skipping about, it was so cute :love: . I was helping out one of the workers to clean out the guinea pigs and she said that she's going to speak to the farmer about getting some rats and ferrets on the petting area :awesome: . We also want tortoises, skunks, chinchillas, capybaras, emus, pygmy goats and a fish tank, but we'll have to take it bit by bit :wink:

PLANTED MORE DAMN POTATOES and ripped a hole in my wellies with a spade :emo: . Don't ask how I managed to stab my foot with a relatively blunt object, I did it because I'm special and talented :wink: . Later, at the train station, I managed to fall up the stairs (**** gravity :cool: ). I really do have two left feet sometimes it's unbelievable :lol:

Dairy farm was INCREDIBLE as usual! Got to drive the JCB again :dance: ! The farmer gave me a real proper lesson :biggrin: . I was really anxious because this time we were in a field with trees in it and I was really worried I was going to crash into something, but I managed to steer myself away. He let me control the arm thing as well (dunno what to call it, the spike that hay bales are mounted on) and he let me go a bit faster as well :biggrin: It's sooooooo fun you have no idea :biggrin:
I LOVE capybaras!!!! I did a leaflet on them in English in s1! Pygmy goats :love: Don't get my started on clumsiness. I am terrible! I had to wheel one of the anaesthetic and oxygen trolley thing through a hallway at the small animal vets when it was all turned off. I'm surprised I got it back in one piece! The animal sanctuary/farm let me drive a mini mini tractor. It is more difficult then it looks! One of the volunteers was laughing at me, but then the farmer said at least something about her first go :biggrin: I'm so excited to go back! I have to agree with you, rats are lovely...from my five minutes of meeting some! :biggrin:
Super quotey message of quoteyness :awesome:

You have so much, I need to book some over the summer still... I'm still awaiting from that LA vet!! Yeah all you need is kennel/cattery work, lambing (which is pretty much essential) and perhaps some more SA vet work just to strengthen that area. But besides from that you have the basics all wrapped up! You can do extras once you have done that as you know, you have absolutely nothing to worry about LTC I should be the one that worries looking at that!! :biggrin:

I don't have that much :s-smilie: . For sheer quantity I might be almost okay but there's no variety there :frown: . I think I'll be a lot more comfortable after I've done my lambing and a bit more SA work but until then I'll be in panic mode. I think I'll try to get a long term SA placement, then lambing in December and/or February if I can, and kennels in March. My two weeks at a rescue centre for next summer is already booked, but I'll look into arranging some zoo and LA work. Then I can spend Year 13 getting extras like labs. There are *no* sheep farms near me (tried Google, asking other farmers/volunteers) so this is going to be really tricky. If worst comes to the worst then I do have some lamby experience (tail docking and castrations, bottle feeding etc), but no actual delivering. Do you think doing some calving instead would be acceptable? Arrrrg, London, why :s-smilie:.

Gosh Craig if you're worried then none of us have any hope at all! :lol:

Original post by Angry cucumber
Farmers are ridiculously strong as a rule.. it's when you can't get whatever you're lifting off the floor, they come over and stroll of with it and your expression is... :lolwut:

Oh gosh yeah :tongue: . When I first started at the urban farm I couldn't pick up the huge bags of feed but the farmers just put one on their shoulder and carry them about without even using their hands! :tongue:

Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
Right now I have:
2 weeks SA vet (plus 12 hours now I'm doing every Saturday)
1.5 days dairy
About 2 days stable (long term at the RDA, I've done 14 hours)
About 2 day’s cattery (long term, 14 hours)
11 hours at this 2 day animal care course through my school, not sure if this counts haha!

Booked for the summer I have 2 days at differentSA vet and 2 weeks at an animal sanctuary. Hoping to book more but it seems unlikely. I will probably spend a lot of days at the cattery and the SA vet because they are lovely! :biggrin: I need to see if I can get more dairy and other farm placements J

Looks good so far! :biggrin: You're WAY ahead for your age :yep: I was going to suggest more farmy placements but it seems you have it all sussed out already so good for you :biggrin:

Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
I LOVE capybaras!!!! I did a leaflet on them in English in s1! Pygmy goats :love: Don't get my started on clumsiness. I am terrible! I had to wheel one of the anaesthetic and oxygen trolley thing through a hallway at the small animal vets when it was all turned off. I'm surprised I got it back in one piece! The animal sanctuary/farm let me drive a mini mini tractor. It is more difficult then it looks! One of the volunteers was laughing at me, but then the farmer said at least something about her first go :biggrin: I'm so excited to go back! I have to agree with you, rats are lovely...from my five minutes of meeting some! :biggrin:

They are very cool :biggrin: . Given that most of the public think that guinea pigs are hamsters, I'd love to know what they'd make of cappies! :lol:

Those trolleys have a mind of their own sometimes :tongue: Someone needs to invent castor wheel things that actually work :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
We've familiarised ourselves with each other already :tongue:. Well I would recommend the long term placement if your represented with the opportunity since you are more likely to see more or a longer period of time however you could do a weeks worth additionally :smile:. However, there seems to be a surplus of volunteers with 3 on a Saturday I think which is more than what is needed so I don't know what will happen there but I would see how it goes first :wink:. All the animals are great, the rabbits are cute, the ponies are sweet as are the ferrets... I could go on however I do dislike one little aggressive chicken who likes to kick people but he's an exception :tongue:.

Yeah it's a public farm really not a farm farm :lol:. Since money is provided through the council and ultimately through the tax payer and the stock is not sold off. I have took an extra bunny though that needed a loving home :biggrin: it's like a life of luxury the size of those cages some are bigger than my room! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the delayed reply! I've arranged it for every Saturday beginning on the 24th of August :biggrin: if they don't need me on a Saturday then I can always change to a Sunday, it would just a wee bit trickier taking the train. Haha I'll watch out for that sneaky chicken :P is that the bunny in your profile picture? He/she's really cute :smile: I know! The cages were so much larger than I thought :O but I'm glad the animals are kept in good conditions unlike some zoos that I've visited :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1426
I know I've been silent for a while, but I've been watching! I called about 20 small and exotic vets within 40 minutes of me to look for places to volunteer to get more work experience. All except two immediately said no, as I'm only 14. I'm waiting to hear from the other two about their decision. I also emailed a farm/farm animal rescue about volunteering. Unfortunately it looks as if I might just have to stick with the rabbit rescue for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
POTATOES ARE FINALLY DONE :woo: I don't even know why I agreed to help with that, I've never heard of a vet being called out to treat a potato plant :rolleyes: . Still, it was good fun really :biggrin:

The super amazing dairy farmer has lent me a massive book on all things cowy :biggrin: It's amazing with plenty of diagrams and everything. I was pretty sad that tomorrow is my last day there, but seeing as I have to return this book at some point I'll just have to arrange a day when I can go in to do some more milking return it :wink: . Got another JCB lesson :tongue: Almost had a bit of a run in with a telephone pole but I'm getting the hang of it :tongue: . The farmer told me off for calling myself a bad driver (it's true! :lol: ) which was sweet of him :redface: He thinks that next Wednesday some of the cows will calve, just my luck that Wednesday is the day I'm heading off to Wales. Oh well, another time, perhaps :h:

Original post by jordyn2
I know I've been silent for a while, but I've been watching! I called about 20 small and exotic vets within 40 minutes of me to look for places to volunteer to get more work experience. All except two immediately said no, as I'm only 14. I'm waiting to hear from the other two about their decision. I also emailed a farm/farm animal rescue about volunteering. Unfortunately it looks as if I might just have to stick with the rabbit rescue for now.

Nice to have you back :smile: It's a shame about the vets but you needn't worry about it now, there's still plenty of time :biggrin: ! The rabbit rescue sounds lovely, how many bunnies do you usually have there? :smile:
Reply 1428

Nice to have you back :smile: It's a shame about the vets but you needn't worry about it now, there's still plenty of time :biggrin: ! The rabbit rescue sounds lovely, how many bunnies do you usually have there? :smile:

Thank you! There's so much time I'm getting a little bored! There are usually about 70-80 buns at a time. It used to be forty, but then they took in about 130 that someone had running loose around their backyard in the super hot summer. So now they're working it back down to a reasonable number.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jordyn2
Thank you! There's so much time I'm getting a little bored! There are usually about 70-80 buns at a time. It used to be forty, but then they took in about 130 that someone had running loose around their backyard in the super hot summer. So now they're working it back down to a reasonable number.

So one person had 130 rabbits?! :eek: How on Earth did you get them all back to the rescue centre :tongue: ?
Reply 1430
So one person had 130 rabbits?! :eek: How on Earth did you get them all back to the rescue centre :tongue: ?

It took days, mostly because a lot of them had made burrows underground because they weren't caged. The rescue had to move into a larger building because of how many rabbits there were.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jordyn2
It took days, mostly because a lot of them had made burrows underground because they weren't caged. The rescue had to move into a larger building because of how many rabbits there were.

Wow, impressive :eek: ! Well, good for you guys for taking them all :h: .
Reply 1432
Wow, impressive :eek: ! Well, good for you guys for taking them all :h: .

It's hard work, the people who own it never get time off. But it's all worth it when they get adopted!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1433
Start a placement at SA vets tomorrow :biggrin: only for the week though :frown:

They say I should wear smart casual clothes but I don't know what to actually wear :s any ideas? Some people say jeans and others say smart trousers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophjeff
Start a placement at SA vets tomorrow :biggrin: only for the week though :frown:

They say I should wear smart casual clothes but I don't know what to actually wear :s any ideas? Some people say jeans and others say smart trousers

Lucky you! :biggrin: I'm at the urban farm tomorrow (dairying finished for now :frown: ). Hope you have fun and learn loads.

If I were you I'd wear smart clothes on your first day (i.e. school trousers) but if you feel overdressed then you can decide how to dress for the rest of the week.
Reply 1435

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, you're so lucky! Fingers crossed that you will enjoy it!
When I go to the vets I usually just take a pair of black/dark jeans, and then something we in Norway call a kittel? No idea what it is in English; http://www.gymo.no/unisex-kittel-bla-med-vhals-tilbud-p-913-c-3763.aspx.
I always find it difficult knowing what to wear, but if I am not sure I just pack a bag or a backpack.
Original post by Tyri
Aww, you're so lucky! Fingers crossed that you will enjoy it!
When I go to the vets I usually just take a pair of black/dark jeans, and then something we in Norway call a kittel? No idea what it is in English; http://www.gymo.no/unisex-kittel-bla-med-vhals-tilbud-p-913-c-3763.aspx.
I always find it difficult knowing what to wear, but if I am not sure I just pack a bag or a backpack.

I think that would be called a 'tunic' in English :yep: . I don't have one myself, I was just given one to borrow when I was allowed into theatre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For smart casual do not wear jeans. I wear black trousers generally.
Reply 1438
I think that would be called a 'tunic' in English :yep: . I don't have one myself, I was just given one to borrow when I was allowed into theatre.

Aha, thanks! They let me borrow one as well, but they are so handy, really like them! It is so sad they are so expensive, for a trouser and shirt it is like 250 pounds:confused:
Original post by Tyri
Aha, thanks! They let me borrow one as well, but they are so handy, really like them! It is so sad they are so expensive, for a trouser and shirt it is like 250 pounds:confused:

Really? I did I quick Google to see if I had the right word; searching for 'nurse tunic' bought up ones that were less than £20.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending