The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by stella11
Hey guys, I have a couple of question about the city of Norwich, since I'm coming with my parents a couple of days before my actual moving in the campus (they want to see the city where I'm going to move :biggrin:) Can you help me?
We were thinking about renting a car and come from Stansted in London to Norwich but first of all: is it easy to go around by car?
and second important question: do you know any cheap accomodation around? I' ve noticed there are a couple of hostels but far away from the city centre! can you help me?
Obviously any advice about what to visit is more than welcome, thanx a lot!

It's alright to get around by car. If you're driving in the city centre there are quite a few confusing lanes and one way bits which can get you in a muddle but you shouldn't need to be driving round the actual centre too much. Basically, it's not the MOST car friendly city but traffic is usually great for a city and it's not bad enough to make you avoid using a car.

You could stay on campus at Broadview Lodge, the uni's hotel style venue
http://www.broadviewlodge.co.uk/rooms.htm

Though I'd book quick as it may be busy at that time of year!

Or you could stay in a travelodge or premier inn, I imagine they'd be the cheapest option. There are also plenty of B&Bs and flats to rent, but I don't know enough to recommend any so I'd use google and check reviews online for those.

I'd take them to see the castle, it's a nice bit of Norwich heritage with a good museum attached. Also I'd show them round campus - walk round the lake and pop in to the Sainsburys Centre art gallery. Norwich is very good for shopping and restaurants so plenty to do there. There are also cinemas and theatres - Maddemarket (http://www.maddermarket.co.uk/), Puppet theatre (http://www.puppettheatre.co.uk/), Theatre Royal (https://secure.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk/Online/) and Playhouse (http://www.norwichplayhouse.co.uk/).

You should also take them to the lanes at some point, which is an area near the market with lots of little old cobbled streets, there are some great independent shops and cafes there.

The cathedral is nice too, and there are good riverside walks near to it, as well as Elm Hill which is a very old street used in lots of films!

xxx
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by High As A Kite
parking on campus is seriously limited, so they strongly advise not to

I second that! I just got a parking fine from them! lol
Original post by stella11
Hey guys, I have a couple of question about the city of Norwich, since I'm coming with my parents a couple of days before my actual moving in the campus (they want to see the city where I'm going to move :biggrin:) Can you help me?
We were thinking about renting a car and come from Stansted in London to Norwich but first of all: is it easy to go around by car?
and second important question: do you know any cheap accomodation around? I' ve noticed there are a couple of hostels but far away from the city centre! can you help me?
Obviously any advice about what to visit is more than welcome, thanx a lot!

High As a Kite's post about the limited nature of parking has reminded me- there is none on campus unless your disabled or visiting the sports park. Norwich city centre itself is small enough to walk about on foot and between the uni and the city centre the easiest way is by bus unless you don't want to park.
Reply 1003
Original post by jelly1000
High As a Kite's post about the limited nature of parking has reminded me- there is none on campus unless your disabled or visiting the sports park. Norwich city centre itself is small enough to walk about on foot and between the uni and the city centre the easiest way is by bus unless you don't want to park.

They could always come to explore campus after 2pm, then at least it will only be £1 after 2pm.

Also if they stay at broadview lodge they get free parking so that should be fine.

The only issue might be if the days before the posters' arrival clash with some other groups' arrival, then it might be busy. Not sure when all the arrival dates are this year.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
They could always come to explore campus after 2pm, then at least it will only be £1 after 2pm.

Also if they stay at broadview lodge they get free parking so that should be fine.

The only issue might be if the days before the posters' arrival clash with some other groups' arrival, then it might be busy. Not sure when all the arrival dates are this year.

xxx

true forgot about that
I was wondering if there are any rugby teams that have a 7s team in the east of England.

Athletically, I'm quite fast and have quite a bit of stamina. However I'm also quite lean and don't think I'd be able to do very well in a XVs team. I don't want to send game after game on the bench, so was wondering if there is a 7s team around the UEA vicinity. I'd be willing to travel quite a bit outside of Norwich in order to play.
Reply 1006
[h="5"]Hi everyone !! I'll have to get a part-time job while at Uni, is it true that it's not possible for first year students to get a job in the campus? :confused:[/h]
Original post by Milù
[h="5"]Hi everyone !! I'll have to get a part-time job while at Uni, is it true that it's not possible for first year students to get a job in the campus? :confused:[/h]

yes- they have an annual recruitment process in march which gives them time to train students before they commence their jobs in one go rather than having to do it sporadically.
Hey everyone, I just have a question regarding visitors? I've read that you can only have visitors for 3 days per term, but for somebody who is going to be in a long distance relationship, that really doesn't seem like much! How possible would it be for my boyfriend to come and visit more often than that? Will the university even notice? Thank you!!
Original post by RalphsDisciple
Hey everyone, I just have a question regarding visitors? I've read that you can only have visitors for 3 days per term, but for somebody who is going to be in a long distance relationship, that really doesn't seem like much! How possible would it be for my boyfriend to come and visit more often than that? Will the university even notice? Thank you!!

Heya. I can't remember what the exact rule is, but it is definitely 3 days within a certain bloc of time. Having said that though, if you've got a friendly set of housemates and cleaners then it might be possible for your boyfriend stayed over more frequently or for slightly longer periods of time.

However, you should definitely tell the people in your flat beforehand as a courtesy and generally speaking you shouldn't really have visitors for extended periods of time as you'll be sharing your flat with a limited number of other people who may not be comfortable with non-university visitors. Generally speaking, you'd probably be able to swing multiple visits per term, though you might not be able to swing multiple extended visits.

Check with your flatmates and cleaner first for all visits, and if it all goes okay the first time then you might be able to have your boyfriend around for longer. Play it by ear and it should all be okay :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Eloquai
Heya. I can't remember what the exactly rule is, but it is definitely 3 days within a certain bloc of time. Having said that though, if you've got a friendly set of housemates and cleaners then it might be possible for your boyfriend stayed over more frequently or for slightly longer periods of time.

However, you should definitely tell the people in your flat beforehand as a courtesy and generally speaking you shouldn't really have visitors for extended periods of time as you'll be sharing your flat with a limited number of other people who may not be comfortable with non-university visitors. Generally speaking, you'd probably be able to swing multiple visits per term, though you might not be able to swing multiple extended visits.

Check with your flatmates and cleaner first for all visits, and if it all goes okay the first time then you might be able to have your boyfriend around for longer. Play it by ear and it should all be okay :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile: Of course I would tell the people I'd be living with, and my boyfriend has a job up here, so he'd only be able to come up for a day and a half every few weeks, so hopefully it'll all be okay. Thank you again!
Thank you so much! :smile: Of course I would tell the people I'd be living with, and my boyfriend has a job up here, so he'd only be able to come up for a day and a half every few weeks, so hopefully it'll all be okay. Thank you again!

No worries - I'd imagine that a day and a half every few weeks would be more than alright. It's only when it starts extending beyond three consecutive days that people would probably start raising eyebrows.
Reply 1012

Yes as Eloquai said it's not 3 days per term.

It is three consecutive days. So you can't have him over for 4 nights in a row.

Also there is a general rule of consideration and being sensible, so pretty much what Eloquai said about asking your flatmates, not going over the top, considering that flatmates might feel awkward about saying no so respecting that. Of course some flatmates won't care at all and would happily have someone else move in, and they will undoubtedly make friend with your boyfriend too :smile:. But some people find it a bit strained to share the kitchen (and possibly bathroom) with another person. When I was in accomm there was also a rule that you had to ask the senior resident permission to have someone stay over. However, I tried this once and couldn't get hold of them! And my flatmates were cool with it so I just went ahead, in the end through the year he stayed over about one night a week. Never had any issues with this.

xxx
Original post by jelly1000

If you're a student you can't use the Sportspark car park at all. Even if you're going to the Sportspark. Which to me is a bit ridiculous, but them's the rules :smile:

And you can park on campus if you don't meet the above criteria, it's just really really expensive...
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at applying to Film + TV studies at UEA for 2014 entry. Any current students that could give me their opinions on the course and what the practical side of it is like? Thanks!
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
If you're a student you can't use the Sportspark car park at all. Even if you're going to the Sportspark. Which to me is a bit ridiculous, but them's the rules :smile:

And you can park on campus if you don't meet the above criteria, it's just really really expensive...

yeah i know, not sure how they can prove your car is a students car though unless non students get a badge or something. i think the person i was replying to was a prospective visitor who wasn't a student yet.
Reply 1016
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Just in case it ever comes in useful, sportspark users can get free parking in the main car park too (a provision for in case the sportspark car park is full). So students could just use that if they only want to visit the sportspark.

I thought it seemed a bit silly when I first found out as well, but I guess they need more provision for the public as students are meant to find a way to get to campus without parking anyway. Plus it would probably be way too easy for students to abuse it.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Yes as Eloquai said it's not 3 days per term.

It is three consecutive days. So you can't have him over for 4 nights in a row.

Also there is a general rule of consideration and being sensible, so pretty much what Eloquai said about asking your flatmates, not going over the top, considering that flatmates might feel awkward about saying no so respecting that. Of course some flatmates won't care at all and would happily have someone else move in, and they will undoubtedly make friend with your boyfriend too :smile:. But some people find it a bit strained to share the kitchen (and possibly bathroom) with another person. When I was in accomm there was also a rule that you had to ask the senior resident permission to have someone stay over. However, I tried this once and couldn't get hold of them! And my flatmates were cool with it so I just went ahead, in the end through the year he stayed over about one night a week. Never had any issues with this.

xxx

Oh thank you, that was very helpful! That's fine, I'm not expecting to have him over all the time, I just wanted to see him more than 3 days a term :tongue: So thanks for clearing that up!
Hey everyone,
I've just found out that I'm off to UEA in September! Woo hoo!

Anyway, does anyone know how the accommodation is allocated? (I've heard it's secretly randomized :/ ). I was just wondering because I put Mary Chapman court as my number 3 choice, but I don't mind going there now, it's just travel expenses putting me off.

(sorry if this has already been asked)
Reply 1019
Original post by Dano1163
Hey everyone,
I've just found out that I'm off to UEA in September! Woo hoo!

Anyway, does anyone know how the accommodation is allocated? (I've heard it's secretly randomized :/ ). I was just wondering because I put Mary Chapman court as my number 3 choice, but I don't mind going there now, it's just travel expenses putting me off.

(sorry if this has already been asked)

Travel expenses aren't too much when you consider how cheap the accommodation is compared to other options.

It's not quite random... they obviously have to consider preferences or medical needs, such as people needing ensuite or requesting a single gender flat. Also they try not to place too many people on the same course together, and put students on longer courses partly together so they aren't all alone when others go home in the summer.

Then I believe they try to maximise the number of people in one of their top 3 choices. Basically they try to put everyone near their top choices but without shoving others to the bottom if that makes sense.

However, it's random in the sense that it's not like they go let's allocate the highest scorers first, or the firmers first or anything like that.

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending