The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Definately mastitis. :smile: Although could be galactophoritis.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Probably mastitis :smile: The scourge of dairy farmers everywhere! :tongue:

ah that's it :tongue: thanks!
Reply 1782
Mastitis! A squirt of Synulox to treat. How have people seen the mastitis cows marked out at their placements? Ours had red spray, red ankle tag and red tail tape.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaarlotte
ah that's it :tongue: thanks!

No problem! Mastitis is probably the disease you'll see most in cattle, with grass staggers and milk fever also being relatively common.

EDIT: Thanks AC! :tongue:

Original post by ABC05
Mastitis! A squirt of Synulox to treat. How have people seen the mastitis cows marked out at their placements? Ours had red spray, red ankle tag and red tail tape.

Ours only had red tail tape, but their udders were also usually covered in purple spray which helps them to stand out! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
No problem! Mastitis is probably the disease you'll see most in cattle, with grass staggers and milk fever also being relatively common.

You really won't see grass staggers very often at all.. good nutrition balance will cover the cows the vast majority of times.
Original post by Angry cucumber
You really won't see grass staggers very often at all.. good nutrition balance will cover the cows the vast majority of times.

Ahh, okay :smile: The farm I was at had magnesium mineral blocks to prevent it, but it was mentioned quite a lot in a few of the farmy papers he gave me so I assumed it was quite frequently seen.

Reply 1786

What's grass staggers? Would be interested to find out cause, symptoms and treatment options too if you know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05

Posted from TSR Mobile

you guys are all so knowledgeable. I pale in comparison!:colondollar: our cows had a red ankle tag and purple spray :smile:
Reply 1788
you guys are all so knowledgeable. I pale in comparison!:colondollar: our cows had a red ankle tag and purple spray :smile:

Haha I'm just a cow geek, I find them so interesting! Would love to shadow a farm vet for w/e but I suppose that would mean travelling with him from farm to farm- are we allowed to do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
What's grass staggers? Would be interested to find out cause, symptoms and treatment options too if you know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cause is fast growing grass - usually rye grass. It's low in magnesium hence leads to hypomagnesia. Symptoms are staggering, behavioural changes and some other stuff
Treatment is a great big dose of magnesium and calcium injected into the cow - I think it's subcut.

Skatealexia knows more on clinical stuff than I do.. I'm only a baby vet student :tongue: Whilst she's the boss :tongue:

I wouldnt worry about not knowing much :tongue: Just make sure if you mention any conditions in your PS's and/or questionnaires make sure you know your stuff then :smile:

And the dairy farms that I've worked on since I was 12 - they've all been red tape on tail - however this often comes off, so the farmer just remembers which cows have it when the come in :tongue:

Original post by ABC05
Haha I'm just a cow geek, I find them so interesting! Would love to shadow a farm vet for w/e but I suppose that would mean travelling with him from farm to farm- are we allowed to do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes - why wouldn't we be allowed to? :erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ABC05

Well from what I remember without going and digging out my notebook :tongue: :

Caused by magnesium deficiency.
Symptoms are the cow literally staggering about, discoordination, head thrown back etc. Can lead to death in extreme cases (I think)
Treated by giving the animal magnesium (I think subcutaneously but I could be wrong??). Can be prevented by providing mineral licks or by using 'magnesium bullets' or boluses that last a few weeks when swallowed.

EDIT: AC got there first with a better answer, ignore me! :tongue:
Well from what I remember without going and digging out my notebook :tongue: :

Caused by magnesium deficiency.
Symptoms are the cow literally staggering about, discoordination, head thrown back etc. Can lead to death in extreme cases (I think)
Treated by giving the animal magnesium (I think subcutaneously but I could be wrong??). Can be prevented by providing mineral licks or by using 'magnesium bullets' or boluses that last a few weeks when swallowed.

EDIT: AC got there first with a better answer, ignore me! :tongue:

Your quite right :tongue: Your answer is just as good :smile:

Licks are good but cows love them - they go through a bucket in no time - an expensive way of keeping magnesium levels up. Boluses are also dear

Usually controlled by supplementation of diet with mineral powders which is bought in bulk and added to silage ration or similar :smile:
Reply 1792
Cause is fast growing grass - usually rye grass. It's low in magnesium hence leads to hypomagnesia. Symptoms are staggering, behavioural changes and some other stuff
Treatment is a great big dose of magnesium and calcium injected into the cow - I think it's subcut.

Yes - why wouldn't we be allowed to? :erm:

Thank you, and thanks LTC too! Is it more common in spring when the grass is growing? & idk actually, just for my equine hospital placement I won't be able to travel around with the vet. I suppose it's to do with insurance or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
Thank you, and thanks LTC too! Is it more common in spring when the grass is growing? & idk actually, just for my equine hospital placement I won't be able to travel around with the vet. I suppose it's to do with insurance or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right - I thought you were talking about the legalities. :tongue:

If your vet surgery doesnt have the correct insurance then you may have slightly limited access to some things or travelling with vets. Im sure your placement will be awesome :biggrin:

Grass grows very quickly sometimes in the spring and sometimes in summer and you can get outbreaks of grass staggers :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by skatealexia
Definately mastitis. :smile: Although could be galactophoritis.

only just saw this, whoops :tongue: so what causes mastitis and galactophoritis and what are the symptoms and cures? sorry if i'm asking too much but now i'm intrigued :smile:
only just saw this, whoops :tongue: so what causes mastitis and galactophoritis and what are the symptoms and cures? sorry if i'm asking too much but now i'm intrigued :smile:

I would answer this but I havent studied it in anything like the depth skatealexia has :smile:

Btw guys, if you don't understand anything that I try to explain, please feel free to ask me to explain more/ differently :smile:
Your quite right :tongue: Your answer is just as good :smile:

Licks are good but cows love them - they go through a bucket in no time - an expensive way of keeping magnesium levels up. Boluses are also dear

Usually controlled by supplementation of diet with mineral powders which is bought in bulk and added to silage ration or similar :smile:

Haha yeah, the farmer showed me one of the massive tubs that the licks come in and told me that they're usually finished within a couple of days! I think bullets cost around £2 per cow if I remember correctly.

Out of interest, is it possible for a cow to have too much magnesium (probably wouldn't happen naturally, but if too many licks/too much powder had been provided, for example)? What would be symptoms of that be? :smile:

Original post by ABC05

No prob :smile:

I wasn't allowed to do home visits while I was at the exotics place, I think it just depends on insurance. I think if you were shadowing a farm vet you'd be allowed though, as most of the cases would need traveling so there'd be no point in them having you for wex otherwise :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1797
Ooh please could someone remind me the name of the instrument where you put a drop of urine on it, hold it up to the light and read off a little graph thing in the viewfinder? Did that at the vets today but can't remember the name of it for my write up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I second this. I've never even heard of galactophoritis before :smile:
Original post by ABC05
Ooh please could someone remind me the name of the instrument where you put a drop of urine on it, hold it up to the light and read off a little graph thing in the viewfinder? Did that at the vets today but can't remember the name of it for my write up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dipstick?

That doesn't have a viewfinder but I'm not sure what else it could be, sorry :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending