The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, sorry for another absence :tongue: . I was camping over the weekend, then I went off for two days to the stable where I worked last summer. Every year they put on a little show for all of the helpers and they invited me back to watch :biggrin: . I'm so glad I went, everyone put in so much effort it was amazing! The final competition was fancy dress, and I never thought I'd see ponies dressed up as Sulley from Monsters Inc, Gary from Spongebob, a Giant Peach, complete with James and his insect friends, or a beef lasagne (very clever :wink: ) ! I wish I could put up photos to show you all, but they obviously include the riders, and I don't think putting pictures of people without permission would be fair, sorry :redface: .

Thanks so much for all your replies, I've spoilered my responses and cut down some quotes just to stop this post being a page and a half long :tongue: .

Original post by skatealexia
Agreed that your results are pretty amazing! You only need 5 As for vet med!

Spoiler

Original post by LadyEcliptic
Aww no :frown: I'm sorry you changed your mind...

Spoiler

Original post by Tiffanya
Well done your results are great!! I think everyone has doubts about doing vet med at some point because it is soo hard to get there :frown:

Spoiler

Original post by ABC05
LTC your results are AMAZING, not being rude but I don't understand why your family are disappointed?!?

Spoiler

Original post by HJames
LTC, this thread has been going for nearly 6 months now...

Spoiler

Phew, I think that's everyone! Again, thanks so much for all your replies. I second what Skatealexia said above :h: . You guys are all awesome and helpful. I'm so grateful for all your help. Apologies that I took so long to reply.

On an unrelated note, are any of the English people on here back at school yet? I know you Scots have been back for a while! I go back tomorrow, which I have mixed feelings about. I'd like to see my friends again, although not all of them will be there as some have moved to colleges or other sixth forms (or other countries!). I think the next two years will be better than the previous two, and I'm glad I'll finally be able to focus my efforts on the subjects I enjoy most. I'm really unprepared though, I haven't even bought stationery yet :tongue: .
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
xxxx

I'm going to reply to all your little comments :smile:. I think you could change your mind twice, but on the second time you'd have to pay a year of your degree yourself. You'd never be able to go back to the same university or course either without a good reason and not sure lots of indecision would look entirely good :tongue:. In regards to your work ethic, my answer is simple. Change it. In ten years you might regret being lazy, but it is all a mindset you can change by being more proactive and doing something more each day. I'm afraid that is all down to you, but believe me when I say I know a lot of lazy people on my course who still somehow manage to get through :smile:. I don't want you to look back and regret the little changes you could have done to do what you really wanted to do.

My high school was poor, probably worse than yours. We had a really low A*-C pass rate, and I had the best grades in my school. We might not have had anyone go onto vet med either, but luckily I had quite a good college. They didn't know much about the vet med application, but this forum was a life saver. If you follow the advice you learn on here, you have a very good chance of getting in. I was in your boat- bad school, my own fuel to keep me going and I somehow got four offers (not sure how I stood out), it does happen :smile:. Also, I think I'm tactless with people sometimes too! I say things without thinking. It happens. Doesn't mean you wouldn't be a good vet.

I wanted to be a vet since being 3/4. It isn't a silly childhood notion :tongue:. You need to accept that you will be less enthusiastic at points- I go through phases where sometimes I question why the hell I'm slogging my guts out at this degree when I could be less stressed and (happier?) doing something else? The thing that keeps me going is all the hard work I put in, and knowing that with a vet degree, the world is your oyster. There are so many careers you can do with this degree you're bound to find something you love, even if it isn't in general practice. It opens a lot of doors that not having a vet degree you would really struggle with (e.g. no offense to anyone but a basic animal science or somewhat related degree).

I'm getting that a lot of your mind set is that you don't think you are good enough. My friend had this, and you need to change your negatives. You ARE good enough. I don't learn new things every day of work experience, and some days would be tedious as I saw vaccine after vaccine. I know that I'm making a real difference though. Your results (GCSE yes) show me you ARE good enough. A levels require more work, I won't kid you on that one, but you just have to change your quite negative view and ethic and I really think you could be a brilliant vet. See what the people on here are saying, its because they believe in you. I also can't write out loads on conditions, and I won't know everything. I learnt a lot on just normal work experience I didnt know after three years now of vet school- you continually learn and this is what makes you a better vet (not a worse one!).

All I'm saying is I think you need to give yourself an actual kick up the arse, get yourself into gear and stop thinking all these negative thoughts. If you really want an animal career, a veterinary degree will open many more doors to your than a lot of other degrees. Just think about that. For me, any other animal degree wouldn't have cut it, plus the pay is quite bad in general anyway which is another factor in my decision that if I wouldn't have been a vet, my animal stuff would have been hobby related only.

Sorry if this is a little long and bashing. I just think you need a kick. :redface:
Original post by skatealexia
Sorry if this is a little long and bashing. I just think you need a kick. :redface:

Don't apoligise! You're being totally honest and I agree with you 100%! I'm the only one that's going to know if VetMed is the course for me, and as I clearly don't know at this point in time I completely appreciate that I should put in the effort with my A-Levels 'just in case', so to speak. As usual you're the voice of reason :tongue: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, sorry for another absence :tongue: . I was camping over the weekend, then I went off for two days to the stable where I worked last summer. Every year they put on a little show for all of the helpers and they invited me back to watch :biggrin: . I'm so glad I went, everyone put in so much effort it was amazing! The final competition was fancy dress, and I never thought I'd see ponies dressed up as Sulley from Monsters Inc, Gary from Spongebob, a Giant Peach, complete with James and his insect friends, or a beef lasagne (very clever :wink: ) ! I wish I could put up photos to show you all, but they obviously include the riders, and I don't think putting pictures of people without permission would be fair, sorry :redface: .

Thanks so much for all your replies, I've spoilered my responses and cut down some quotes just to stop this post being a page and a half long :tongue: .

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Phew, I think that's everyone! Again, thanks so much for all your replies. I second what Skatealexia said above :h: . You guys are all awesome and helpful. I'm so grateful for all your help. Apologies that I took so long to reply.

On an unrelated note, are any of the English people on here back at school yet? I know you Scots have been back for a while! I go back tomorrow, which I have mixed feelings about. I'd like to see my friends again, although not all of them will be there as some have moved to colleges or other sixth forms (or other countries!). I think the next two years will be better than the previous two, and I'm glad I'll finally be able to focus my efforts on the subjects I enjoy most. I'm really unprepared though, I haven't even bought stationery yet :tongue: .

I went back today (well started a new sixth form) was absolutely terrified but loved it. I doubt that love will carry on with all the work I have ahead! I agree that these two years will be better though. Even though they are coupled with so much harder work we can do subjects we want to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
I went back today (well started a new sixth form) was absolutely terrified but loved it. I doubt that love will carry on with all the work I have ahead! I agree that these two years will be better though. Even though they are coupled with so much harder work we can do subjects we want to do!

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself :smile: ! I'm sure it will be less scary once you've been there a few days. After much deliberation I've *finally* decided on which subjects I definitely want to do, and I've settled with biology, chemistry, maths and physics (cliché ahoy!). I wanted to take a non-sciencey subject just to be more well rounded and keep my options open and blah blah blah, but at the same time I like physics and I don't mind it too difficult, so physics it was!
Reply 1985
X

Hiya,

skatealexia has covered everything really well, but your post has struck a chord with me, you sound exactly like me when I was at school! Here is some random waffle, I'll spoiler it as it's big :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 1986
or a beef lasagne (very clever :wink: ) ! That's hilarious!! :biggrin:
On an unrelated note, are any of the English people on here back at school yet? I know you Scots have been back for a while! I go back tomorrow, which I have mixed feelings about. I'd like to see my friends again, although not all of them will be there as some have moved to colleges or other sixth forms (or other countries!). I think the next two years will be better than the previous two, and I'm glad I'll finally be able to focus my efforts on the subjects I enjoy most. I'm really unprepared though, I haven't even bought stationery yet :tongue: . I'm meant to be going back on Thursday, but this week I'm at the equine hospital, so will be starting Monday coming up instead. I'm really excited, but kinda sad as loads of my friends have left to go to different sixth forms. And I'm crapping myself about Chemistry! & me neither, my sister and I are planning a big Staples trip on Saturday though :tongue: Hope you have a good day, let us know how it went.
Original post by Eevee13
Hiya,

skatealexia has covered everything really well, but your post has struck a chord with me, you sound exactly like me when I was at school! Here is some random waffle, I'll spoiler it as it's big :tongue:

Spoiler

Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences. Everyone on here is so lovely and supportive, I really appreciate your kind words :redface:

What you say makes a lot of sense, and after what everyone has said I wonder if I've been a bit hasty to dismiss the idea of doing VetMed. I'll try to keep an open mind and have another think about it once I have a bit of an idea of how I'm going to do in my AS exams.

Best of luck for vet school! It has been a long and winding road but you've made it there in the end, congratulations! I'm sure you'll make an amazing vet, and I hope you enjoy your time at vet school :smile:
Original post by ABC05
I'm meant to be going back on Thursday, but this week I'm at the equine hospital, so will be starting Monday coming up instead. I'm really excited, but kinda sad as loads of my friends have left to go to different sixth forms. And I'm crapping myself about Chemistry! & me neither, my sister and I are planning a big Staples trip on Saturday though Hope you have a good day, let us know how it went.

Oooh, what have you seen at the equine centre :smile: ?

A lot of my friends have left too, which I think is a shame considering that no new students are coming in, so I won't be able to meet different people. Still, most of the guys who have gone were the really clever kids who earned places at posh grammar schools, so I'm really happy for them :smile: . I think they'll do better there than they will here, so while I'll definitely miss them, I'm genuinely proud that they got into better establishments. I managed to get a load of free folders today (albeit ring binders and not lever arch files), but I still need pens and such. I really want to get some of those spiffy Staedtler fineliners too. They're expensive as hell but my trusty 10-pack lasted all the way from year 8 until year 11 so I'm hoping that if I invest in a pack of 20 and treat 'em well they should last at least a couple of years into university :teeth: .

My first day was alright. It was technically only enrolment, so it was only a half day and I was at the farm in the morning, cleaning out the ducks and chookies. I didn't have time to return home so I arrived at school in my work uniform :tongue: . We just had little interviews to confirm our subject choices, then after that I waited with friends as some people spoke to teachers about potential resits of exams. I'm really disappointed because some genuinely intelligent people have missed out on being able to do subjects they were really looking forward to :frown: After that we went home after speaking to a few more teachers. My ICT teacher stopped me to inform me that apparently I got 80/80 for my ICT exam?! :lol: I'm shocked, that is the exam I put literally no effort into. Most people in my school sat it in January, but I decided to spend that morning spewing my guts out and sleeping, so I was one of six people to do the exam in June (the other five were retaking). Since most people sat the exam in winter, I hadn't had a proper ICT 'lesson' since then and all of our time was spent doing coursework. I didn't revise at all because my coursework was dire and I'd essentially given up. I thought the exam was horrific and I was expecting a B at best. I'm still in shock, I 'beat' all my friends that are amazing at the subject and that spent hours revising. I even did better than the kid that managed to get 13A*s and 2As (no snobbery, we're very close :wink: )

Anyway, tomorrow is induction, so we'll get our timetables, planners etc. We'll also find out our new form tutors. I'm quite excited, there's going to be three forms and I know who two of the form tutors are going to be, they're my biology teacher and chemistry teacher and they're really nice :biggrin: . To be honest I slag off my school, but I can't really fault my science teachers. The science department is a real mixed bag, but the teachers I've had have been fab.

From Thursday it's school as normal, which is when the hard work begins. **** is about to get serious :lol: !
Reply 1989
Oooh, what have you seen at the equine centre :smile: ?

A lot of my friends have left too, which I think is a shame considering that no new students are coming in, so I won't be able to meet different people. Still, most of the guys who have gone were the really clever kids who earned places at posh grammar schools, so I'm really happy for them :smile: . I think they'll do better there than they will here, so while I'll definitely miss them, I'm genuinely proud that they got into better establishments. I managed to get a load of free folders today (albeit ring binders and not lever arch files), but I still need pens and such. I really want to get some of those spiffy Staedtler fineliners too. They're expensive as hell but my trusty 10-pack lasted all the way from year 8 until year 11 so I'm hoping that if I invest in a pack of 20 and treat 'em well they should last at least a couple of years into university :teeth: .

My first day was alright. It was technically only enrolment, so it was only a half day and I was at the farm in the morning, cleaning out the ducks and chookies. I didn't have time to return home so I arrived at school in my work uniform :tongue: . We just had little interviews to confirm our subject choices, then after that I waited with friends as some people spoke to teachers about potential resits of exams. I'm really disappointed because some genuinely intelligent people have missed out on being able to do subjects they were really looking forward to :frown: After that we went home after speaking to a few more teachers. My ICT teacher stopped me to inform me that apparently I got 80/80 for my ICT exam?! :lol: I'm shocked, that is the exam I put literally no effort into. Most people in my school sat it in January, but I decided to spend that morning spewing my guts out and sleeping, so I was one of six people to do the exam in June (the other five were retaking). Since most people sat the exam in winter, I hadn't had a proper ICT 'lesson' since then and all of our time was spent doing coursework. I didn't revise at all because my coursework was dire and I'd essentially given up. I thought the exam was horrific and I was expecting a B at best. I'm still in shock, I 'beat' all my friends that are amazing at the subject and that spent hours revising. I even did better than the kid that managed to get 13A*s and 2As (no snobbery, we're very close :wink: )

Anyway, tomorrow is induction, so we'll get our timetables, planners etc. We'll also find out our new form tutors. I'm quite excited, there's going to be three forms and I know who two of the form tutors are going to be, they're my biology teacher and chemistry teacher and they're really nice :biggrin: . To be honest I slag off my school, but I can't really fault my science teachers. The science department is a real mixed bag, but the teachers I've had have been fab.

From Thursday it's school as normal, which is when the hard work begins. **** is about to get serious :lol: !

I was going to do a post about it when the week has finished. It's an amazing place, I'm so lucky to have a placement there! That's annoying that some people didn't get their chosen subjects, do you know why they didn't? Did they just clash with other subjects that they were doing? And gosh, well done for your ICT result, that's fantastic! & It's always good to have form teachers you like :biggrin:
I bet it's perfect for you, as an aspiring LA vet :biggrin: ! Looking forward to reading about it when you're finished :smile:

There was a variety of reasons. Mainly it was because people didn't get the grades they needed at GCSE, which is a massive blow to all of the aspiring medics. Resits are being offered at £50 a pop, and people aren't being allowed to do A-Level science until they bump up their GCSEs. Problem is, resits aren't until June, so they're going to have to take a year out pretty much. Some people were not allowed to take their chosen subjects because of clashes, or because the spaces filled too quickly, which I thought was grossly unfair. Our interviews were in alphabetical order and the classes were first come, first served and not based on grades or anything, so some people missed out purely due their last name :lolwut: .

Haha tell me about it! My biology teacher is amazing, she doesn't mind having loads of inside jokes and such, but she's still a great teacher. I've had her for three years and frankly I'll be devastated if I don't have her for year 12 and 13 :frown:
Reply 1991
Jesus... I think this gave me a little kick! :colondollar:

Problem is around me, no one seems to be willing to help me out with Veterinary. my school still insists that I do something else, and there is no guarantee of A, B, C... It's really disheartening... Especially when some family relatives think the same, but I mean... I waver a lot with my decision. I don'tm have to confidence to believe in myself, but I know I have to, and I know what to do...

It's the motivation I am struggling to find. There have been so many downs this past 2 years so I'm finding it hard to see the light out of this rough patch...

But that was a really good talk hey... Made me think anyway, Thank you :o:D

It must be really disheartening not to have that support network behind you. May I ask why they are so unsupportive in your decision?
Reply 1992

Problem is around me, no one seems to be willing to help me out with Veterinary. my school still insists that I do something else, and there is no guarantee of A, B, C... It's really disheartening... Especially when some family relatives think the same, but I mean... I waver a lot with my decision. I don'tm have to confidence to believe in myself, but I know I have to, and I know what to do...

It's the motivation I am struggling to find. There have been so many downs this past 2 years so I'm finding it hard to see the light out of this rough patch...

My school is like this too. My parents don't even care :frown: when I told my mum about doing work experience at a farm she just made fun of me and said " so you want to be a farmer now!" I don't think she even knows the entry requirements for vet med!! I know it is very disheartening, but we still have to try for ourselves!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1993
My school is like this too. My parents don't even care :frown: when I told my mum about doing work experience at a farm she just made fun of me and said " so you want to be a farmer now!" I don't think she even knows the entry requirements for vet med!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really not ideal. Poor you. I feel so lucky now, having such supportive parents and teachers! (Well, apart from a pretty inept careers advisor who was supposed to organise work experience for me- she 'organised' it by printing off about 100 sheets of Yellow Pages with the nearest vets were, and then told me that I could be a vet nurse if I didn't get into vet school. So, so helpful.)
Aw man, reading those last few posts have given me a major guilt trip and made me realise how lucky I am that my school are making such a big fuss. I'm the only person in my year applying to vet medicine and the careers advisor has hauled me in for interviews and is chasing me up for my personal statement etc. the chemistry department happily give mock interviews and you can choose a mentor to help you with your application process eg if you were applying for vet med you could choose your biology teacher and such. Basically the school are really, really supportive and are doing everything they can. My parents want me to do medicine (typical Asians...) and they don't understand why I want to work with animals.

Anyway I hope your family and friends can be more supportive of you all, and have fun with your work experience placements. I'm about to start at another small animal vet clinic on Friday and a petting zoo/urban farm on Saturday. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I don't know...
I can't see why everyone has a problem. I'll get in one way or another but. It'd be nice to get support. (Thankfully, my mum supports me. At the start she sort of agreed with the teacher, but now, if I need anything she'll bend over backwards to help me like :redface: )

Hey,

I don't have much to add, I just thought I'd offer my condolences that you've had a bit of a rough time from everyone. I think good careers advisers are in the minority and I've definitely had my share of "Veterinary medicine? Oh... I think you should do normal medicine instead..." but what you've gone through sounds particularly painful and I'm sorry you've had to put up with it :frown:

Even if your peers aren't supportive I wanted to say that I have no doubt that you'll make it to vet school one day, by hook or by crook. Having to resit chemistry is a bit of a pain in the butt, but in the grand scheme of things I doubt it will make a lot of difference to your application. You've got tonnes of wex and such and the fact that you've even bothered to make an account on here and post in this thread is evidence of your dedication :smile:

Chin up :smile:
Reply 1996
Original post by chaarlotte
Aw man, reading those last few posts have given me a major guilt trip and made me realise how lucky I am that my school are making such a big fuss. I'm the only person in my year applying to vet medicine and the careers advisor has hauled me in for interviews and is chasing me up for my personal statement etc. the chemistry department happily give mock interviews and you can choose a mentor to help you with your application process eg if you were applying for vet med you could choose your biology teacher and such. Basically the school are really, really supportive and are doing everything they can. My parents want me to do medicine (typical Asians...) and they don't understand why I want to work with animals.

Anyway I hope your family and friends can be more supportive of you all, and have fun with your work experience placements. I'm about to start at another small animal vet clinic on Friday and a petting zoo/urban farm on Saturday. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please don't feel bad !! :P that's sounds really good that you have so much support.

I'm doing this thing at school where I make a cv and do a mock interview with real business people. They give you feed back about how well you did and how to improve you cv. So that will be quite good but it doesn't really help with all the work experience I need to get :/

Good luck with your experience hat sounds fun. Are they weekly placements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you ever need to talk, or need help please PM me :smile:. Its hard when so many people seem against you, but its up to you to believe in yourself and show them you CAN (and then sit and laugh at all those people who thought you couldn't). :smile:. I always said, if I didn't give it a go then I'd never know. If I get rejected twice, then maybe its not meant to be. I gave it a shot and got in so if you really want it, then go for it. At least you tried :smile:.
You know what. One point during my AS levels I actually started crying at college- had like a nervous breakdown a bit I think! :redface:. All the pressure just got too much. It was over half term break (so one week), and I think I had mock exams in every subject when I went back, homework to do, work experience lambing every day and I also worked every weekend back then at my part time job (sounds fun eh), and I also had four interviews in a row nearly after the easter break to prepare for. I just had this one big WAVE all at once, and I must admit I've never been in a position like it where I just couldn't cope with the amount I had to do (and I'm normally really good at organising myself, it just got impossible)... They were all like, you don't have to do this, but I was like.. No, there's nothing else I want to do :P. Somehow, I got through it all, got my grades and got in. I don't know HOW now, but I managed :smile:. You do have major downs- that being one of them for me I think :P.
Please don't feel bad !! :P that's sounds really good that you have so much support.

I'm doing this thing at school where I make a cv and do a mock interview with real business people. They give you feed back about how well you did and how to improve you cv. So that will be quite good but it doesn't really help with all the work experience I need to get :/

Good luck with your experience hat sounds fun. Are they weekly placements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i can't help but feel guilty though :redface: btw i don't know which part of scotland you're in but i could always give you a few contacts if you're looking for some work experience :biggrin:

i think the mock interview thing sounds really good and helpful, especially the feedback bit because you can get some practice even if it's not really vet medicine orientated :smile:

the petting zoo is a weekly placement, basically volunteering as i'll be doing cleaning, feeding etc and the vet clinic is a 12 week block consisting of every friday evening :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending