The Student Room Group

Gunmen open fire in shopping centre in Nairobi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24186780

There's been speculation as to why it's happened, with some initial reports saying it was robbery, and later ones saying it was an act of terrorism.

The Guardian reports that witnesses said those who were muslim were told to leave, whilst the gunmen shot those they thought were non-muslims.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/21/gunmen-kenyan-shopping-centre-nairobi

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We all knew this was an Islamic attack as soon as it was reported.

80% of global terrorism, wars and insurgencies are carried about by Islamists.
I think it also said Al-Shabab has been threatening to attack the shopping centre.... I've been there before, it's basically the only really westernised place around, pretty well suited for a terrorist attack, unfortunately.
Reply 3
the attack was carried out by Al-Shabab,as of now 20 people dead and 50 injured.
i must point out as a muslim that it is very wrong to point the finger at islam..Kenya invaded Somalia and flushed out the Al-shabab so they retaliated.about 30% of Kenya is Muslim and Muslims have also been victim to attacks by Al-shabab.
Reply 4
Original post by Chindits
We all knew this was an Islamic attack as soon as it was reported.

80% of global terrorism, wars and insurgencies are carried about by Islamists.

Hilarious, so the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan which have killed over a million people wasn't started by the US and UK? Funny that when the Saudi Salafist ideology which was proven to have influenced the minds of 9/11, no one declared war on Saudi Arabia. Is it because the corrupt Saudi Kings willingfully hand their countries resources to the West?

Anyway, the images are horrible. I can't begin to imagine the fear the little kids must have gone through. Even if this was a robbery disguised as an Islamic terrorist attack, we will never know.
Reply 5
Because of events like this, I can't help but think than people should evolve and leave religion behind. The sooner the better.
Reply 6
I hope there are no retaliatory attacks against somalis after this.

My condolences with the family of the dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
'All muslims leave, we only want to kill non-muslims'

Lol, dispicable people.
Reply 8
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24186780

There's been speculation as to why it's happened, with some initial reports saying it was robbery, and later ones saying it was an act of terrorism.

The Guardian reports that witnesses said those who were muslim were told to leave, whilst the gunmen shot those they thought were non-muslims.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/21/gunmen-kenyan-shopping-centre-nairobi

Well, everybody should have feigned being Muslim. Two reports that got kidnapped did it. And they got fred.
Reply 9
Original post by TheHolubowskyj
I think it also said Al-Shabab has been threatening to attack the shopping centre.... I've been there before, it's basically the only really westernised place around, pretty well suited for a terrorist attack, unfortunately.
Excuse me? I live in Nairobi and I don't think it's the 'only really westernized place around'! Please do consider what you say before you say it! There are other places too-maybe you haven't been around!
Reply 10
I am a Nairobian and I am so upset because I live so close to Westgate mall! About 30 have died and more than 50 are injured-it's terrible! There are so many kids who have died!:frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Juichiro
Well, everybody should have feigned being Muslim. Two reports that got kidnapped did it. And they got fred.
They tried but as far as I know, you had to say a phrase from a holy book or something-so you couldn't really pretend.
Reply 12
seriously people!! this is not a sectorian attack..they only let muslims go because Al-Shabab's image wouldn't really look good if they started killing muslims
Edit:they also let some white people go
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Animals.

I hope they are hunted down and shot like the mad dogs they are.
Reply 14
I'm so sorry to hear about this. For what it's worth, I didn't assume terrorism at all. The article on the BBC described it as a gunfight so I was imagining warring criminal gangs or similar. It's terrible whoever committed this act of violence.
Reply 15
Original post by muf_mur
seriously people!! this is not a sectorian attack..they only let muslims go because Al-Shabab's image wouldn't really look good if they started killing muslims
Edit:they also let some white people go

Original post by Steevee
Animals.

I hope they are hunted down and shot like the mad dogs they are.

I doubt that. Yeah, me too. So many people have died. That mall was so popular with us and two fellow students from another school died there. It's terrible.
It's got nothing to do with Islam.
So disgusting.
Reply 18
Well, this was inevitable once you look at Kenya's history of interfering in Somalia's affairs. They've been joint up with the Government to try and take Al-Shabab out, so such retaliation attacks are of no surprise.

Surprisingly, unlike some other attacks, I'm glad Muslims weren't targeted and given the opportunity to leave. In that sense, lives were spared.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Juichiro

a chilling re-enactment of history when Islamic armies invaded neighbouring countries in middle east and Africa killing all those that would not become muslim. It would have been the ogical thing to pretend to be muslim to be allowed to leave, I wonder if a few were defiantly standing up for their own religion against these islamist nutters and paid for with their lives. How can anyone be surprised at the sullied reputation islam has , based on these sort of repeated attroicites

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending