The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Does anyone know where LSB 01.17 is? Apparently it is an IT lab. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 1121
Original post by Tbx
Does anyone know where LSB 01.17 is? Apparently it is an IT lab. :s-smilie:

Lawrence Stenhouse Building, which I BELIEVE is EDU - it was renamed recently, there is a new plaque in the foyer, and since Lawrence Stenhouse is, according to wiki, an educational thinker, that would make sense!

Also I'm pretty sure 01.17 is the PC lab in edu so that would work :smile:

xxx
Can anyone message me a copy of their timetable. Ideally first year students but happy with anything really. Any subject at all :-) Thanks
Original post by Raynerterror
Can anyone message me a copy of their timetable. Ideally first year students but happy with anything really. Any subject at all :-) Thanks

The first year timetable depends entirely on what course you want to do. It can vary from say 10 hours for arts & humanities courses to a near full timetable for student nurses & midwives with Science students having lots of hours as well.
I have 9 hours a week and im a history student, some of my flatmates practically have a full timetable due to being medics.
I'm a 1st year chemistry student and I have between 20-25hrs a week, depending on whether I have tutorials. 3x9am starts, 1x10am and 1x2pm start. Though those doing forensics modules have anything between 22-27hrs a week! :smile: I hope that helps :smile:
I'm first year law:

My timetable for lectures is: Monday 2-3pm, Tuesday 4-5pm, day off weds, 9-4 Thursday, 9-11 Friday

Seminars: (week 1) Weds 9-11, friday 1-3pm and (week 2) Friday 11-3 :frown:
Im 1st year ENV science and i have:

Monday 12-1, 4-5...
Tuesday 9-12, 12-1 and 2-3...
Wednesday is 9-11, 12-1...
Thursday is 9-12, 5-6...
Friday is 9-12, 12-1, 5-6...
Thought I might as well add my first year International Relations timetable from my first semester of first year:

Monday: 12-1pm, 2-3pm and 5-6/7pm (7 in first half of semester, 6 in second half)
Tuesday: off
Wed: 12-1pm
Thurs: 10-11, 11-12 & 1-2pm
Fri: 2-3pm.
Hey I'm thinking of applying to UEA and just wanted to find out what students views are. I've tried going to open days and campus tours but it hasn't been possible for personal reasons..

Does anyone know anything about the university? What is great about it and what are some bad points?

Hi, I live in Norwich so I've been to the UEA hundreds of times!

I really like the layout of the campus as it's completely enclosed (similar to Sussex, Reading, etc, if you know what they're like?) and feels like you're in your own little student town. The student union is really good, and there's always lots going on. Also, I absolutely love Norwich as a city as it's got things like great shopping, a theatre, cinemas, riverside complex, Premier League football ground etc, as well as having a really good night life. You'd probably expect it to be dead because it's not a massive city, but it's so good for clubs and bars! There's also the beach half an hour away so you get seaside and city! Everyone here is really friendly, and I'm so happy that I live here! The university area is nice too. Close to Earlham park and Eaton park which are great areas to hang out with friends and they have big firework displays and other events.

I guess the main downside would be that the main city centre is a 10 minute bus ride away, and the clubbing area is about 15 minutes. But there's a big Sainsbury's near the uni and plenty of other places so it's not like you're in the middle of no where. Also, a few people have described the uni as a concrete jungle as the buildings are just plain concrete and don't look very interesting, but this has never been a problem for me.

I want to move away to go to university, but if I didn't live in Norwich then I'd definitely consider the UEA! I hope this has helped and I hope you love Norwich too if you come here :smile:
Original post by emilyblondiex

I really like the layout of the campus as it's completely enclosed (similar to Sussex, Reading, etc, if you know what they're like?) and feels like you're in your own little student town. The student union is really good, and there's always lots going on. Also, I absolutely love Norwich as a city as it's got things like great shopping, a theatre, cinemas, riverside complex, Premier League football ground etc, as well as having a really good night life. You'd probably expect it to be dead because it's not a massive city, but it's so good for clubs and bars! There's also the beach half an hour away so you get seaside and city! Everyone here is really friendly, and I'm so happy that I live here! The university area is nice too. Close to Earlham park and Eaton park which are great areas to hang out with friends and they have big firework displays and other events.

I guess the main downside would be that the main city centre is a 10 minute bus ride away, and the clubbing area is about 15 minutes. But there's a big Sainsbury's near the uni and plenty of other places so it's not like you're in the middle of no where. Also, a few people have described the uni as a concrete jungle as the buildings are just plain concrete and don't look very interesting, but this has never been a problem for me.

I want to move away to go to university, but if I didn't live in Norwich then I'd definitely consider the UEA! I hope this has helped and I hope you love Norwich too if you come here :smile:

Thank you SO much! That was really useful. I definitely think I'm going to apply. :smile: Hopefully if I get an offer I'll be able to attend a visiting day to get a true feel for the university myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chrissy.x
Thank you SO much! That was really useful. I definitely think I'm going to apply. :smile: Hopefully if I get an offer I'll be able to attend a visiting day to get a true feel for the university myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

check out the UEA sub forum
Reply 1133
Original post by emilyblondiex

Sainsburys? Do you mean Waitrose (the Eaton one)?
You're right about distance from the city centre (though the bus usually takes more like 20-25 minutes in reality, with traffic and stops considered... but it never feels that long!), however I found it to be closer than a lot of other campus unis I visited :smile: Plus the big benefit is that the student accommodation is all (apart from Mary Chapman) gathered on campus too. Whereas a lot of other unis I visited had their accommodation like half an hour away by bus which is a pain!

Completely agree with all of your post. I graduated this year after 4 years at UEA. I still miss it so much and love going back to campus to just enjoy it, and visit my old lecturers. In terms of courses, academia, facilities and the union UEA is also very good (IMO)... there must be a reason it got voted #1 for student experience in the country recently :biggrin:

Of course, it's not perfect in terms of administration, teaching etc but on the whole I think it has a very high standard, and is also pretty responsive to student concerns in most cases. The union will also always be willing to listen to any concerns, as well as providing a huge variety of events for students.

xxx
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kpwxx
Sainsburys? Do you mean Waitrose (the Earlham one)?
You're right about distance from the city centre (though the bus usually takes more like 20-25 minutes in reality, with traffic and stops considered... but it never feels that long!), however I found it to be closer than a lot of other campus unis I visited :smile: Plus the big benefit is that the student accommodation is all (apart from Mary Chapman) gathered on campus too. Whereas a lot of other unis I visited had their accommodation like half an hour away by bus which is a pain!

Completely agree with all of your post. I graduated this year after 4 years at UEA. I still miss it so much and love going back to campus to just enjoy it, and visit my old lecturers. In terms of courses, academia, facilities and the union UEA is also very good (IMO)... there must be a reason it got voted #1 for student experience in the country recently :biggrin:

Of course, it's not perfect in terms of administration, teaching etc but on the whole I think it has a very high standard, and is also pretty responsive to student concerns in most cases. The union will also always be willing to listen to any concerns, as well as providing a huge variety of events for students.

xxx

I think the poster means the Sainsburys in Lakenham, thats the one most people go to. There isn't a Waitrose in Earlham, its in Eaton.
Reply 1135
Original post by jelly1000
I think the poster means the Sainsburys in Lakenham, thats the one most people go to. There isn't a Waitrose in Earlham, its in Eaton.

Oh sorry yeah, E's! I always get mixed up between areas, still can't figure out where one starts and the other ends either lol. Though I am at least much better on the other side of Norwich than I used to be!

And oh right, well I consider that Sainsburys to be in the city centre pretty much, so it's not really an alternative to going in to the city in my head, it IS going in to the city, in fact from UEA you'd get off the bus in the city to get there.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Oh sorry yeah, E's! I always get mixed up between areas, still can't figure out where one starts and the other ends either lol. Though I am at least much better on the other side of Norwich than I used to be!

And oh right, well I consider that Sainsburys to be in the city centre pretty much, so it's not really an alternative to going in to the city in my head, it IS going in to the city, in fact from UEA you'd get off the bus in the city to get there.

xxx

yeah you would, there isnt really a Sainsbury's near the uni
Reply 1137
What are the chances of me getting an offer at Lancaster, Nottingham, Leicester, Leeds and (Exeter or University of East Anglia) for Natural Sciences (BSc) with ABCC (in Biology, Maths, Physics and Chemistry)? My school will probably end up predicting me ABC. Thanks.
Original post by 1.6180
What are the chances of me getting an offer at Lancaster, Nottingham, Leicester, Leeds and (Exeter or University of East Anglia) for Natural Sciences (BSc) with ABCC (in Biology, Maths, Physics and Chemistry)? My school will probably end up predicting me ABC. Thanks.

I can't speak for the other universities, but checking UEA's website it appears that they'll require AAA or AABB at A-Level for the BSc in Natural Sciences. As such, if your predicated grades are ABC then I'm afraid that it'll probably be difficult to receive an offer.
Reply 1139
Can anyone suggest a proper route? Preferably the shortest one, either by taxi, coach, or train? Which one`s cheaper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending