The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LadyEcliptic
I think it might have been better if I had mentioned that, the photo WAS used and taken with permission by the owner. The horses situation was completely different to that of your example, and I also take photos for the reason that, because I am so busy, I take photos so when I come back to it I can remember much more easily what was said to me, what happened etc. As my memory is like a sieve after a long day.

It should be stated that I respect others privacy enough that I have never, and would never, take pictures in any other work experience that I have seen, even if I were allowed I still wouldn't have. The vets and owners were okay for me to take these pictures, and with the owners permission I thought (thought wrong clearly) it would be nice to share what I had seen.

I am sorry and won't be posting anymore. :smile:

Don't worry!! I was just pointing it out - as plenty of people, even those of us as vet school sometimes don't think about this, and as you say, when excited about what you have seen/done, maybe post things that are better not being.

If you had permission from the owner...that is different. But it is generally the case that most people don't have permission!

As for taking photos to remember things - again, that is different. I have photos of many of my patients from rotations. I find it really helpful as a memory jogger when revising to remember specific cases. Taking and using those photos purely for myself is one thing, putting them on fb etc would be different.

But anyway....like I say, don't worry about it now! Glad your enjoying your placements!!
I'm hoping to apply for veterinary science/medicine this time next year (current year 12) This is my current profile if you like, and further tips would be greatly appreciated

Academic

Gcse - 8A*1A
AS - Biol, Chem, Maths, History

Extra - curricular

DofE Gold (and bronze and silver)
violin and piano grade 8
school, county and 6 counties orchestras
Swimming
YFC

Volunteering

DofE young leader
maths mentoring with year 7s

Work Experience (either done/secured places)

2 weeks with vet (small and large animal)
2 weeks with other practice (hopefully)
job on large dairy/beef farm (family business)
lambing experience
stables
kennels

any further tips would be greatly appreciated!!:smile:
Reply 2162
Original post by lucy1996
I'm hoping to apply for veterinary science/medicine this time next year (current year 12) This is my current profile if you like, and further tips would be greatly appreciated

Academic

Gcse - 8A*1A

Extra - curricular

violin and piano grade 8
Swimming
YFC

Volunteering

DofE young leader

lambing experience
stables
kennels

How many weeks did you get lambing/at the stables/kennels? How many weeks w/e do you have in total? As you have most of the 'staples', perhaps you could try doing some more unusual w/e like with exotics or at an abattoir etc.

Academic

Gcse - 8A*1A

Extra - curricular

violin and piano grade 8
Swimming
YFC

Volunteering

DofE young leader

lambing experience
stables
kennels

Your profile looks good to start with. Work on your own family farm doesn't count as most people aren't privileged to have that. I would get a few more weeks of vet (about two +) or a long term placement if you can. Other than that looks good to me.Maybe get vet lab/abattoir as well.
Reply 2164

Academic

Gcse - 8A*1A

Extra - curricular

violin and piano grade 8
Swimming
YFC

Volunteering

DofE young leader

lambing experience
stables
kennels

That looks great, which YFC do you go to?
Original post by kookabura
Don't worry!! I was just pointing it out - as plenty of people, even those of us as vet school sometimes don't think about this, and as you say, when excited about what you have seen/done, maybe post things that are better not being.

No you were right to point it out. I did worry and it made me upset as, it's not that I hate being "told off" it's just sometimes I can't handle when someone might be a bit upset with what I have done as I am a real people pleaser and hate to upset others...
Original post by kookabura
Glad your enjoying your placements!!

I love it!!! I've never been given so much hands on before ever! I finish this week so I'm going to be really upset to go... Finding it hard to get another vet to take me on :frown:

Also a bit worried as I'm taking 2 gap years instead of one (C in chemistry that was 11 marks off a B, I would have rather had 3 A's plus B at AS, plus loads of work experience, before applying instead of resitting + applying in the same year)
I know competition isn't getting any easier but kind of wondering if I made the right choice? I called the Universities and they had no problem for me to apply like that, London said it was probably better (as I had applied before)

Have I done the right thing?
Original post by LadyEcliptic
I love it!!! I've never been given so much hands on before ever! I finish this week so I'm going to be really upset to go... Finding it hard to get another vet to take me on :frown:

Also a bit worried as I'm taking 2 gap years instead of one (C in chemistry that was 11 marks off a B, I would have rather had 3 A's plus B at AS, plus loads of work experience, before applying instead of resitting + applying in the same year)
I know competition isn't getting any easier but kind of wondering if I made the right choice? I called the Universities and they had no problem for me to apply like that, London said it was probably better (as I had applied before)

Have I done the right thing?

The choice is up to you. Some unis may place restrictions as to how many times you can apply to them, but it might be worth considering some unis who have a lower work experience requirement, for example? It might depend on how much wex you have under your belt already.
I got ABBC in my As's so am planning to do some retakes and then take a gap year... Has anyone got any suggestions of where I could find some appropriate work experience preferably abroad and even better paid!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
The choice is up to you. Some unis may place restrictions as to how many times you can apply to them, but it might be worth considering some unis who have a lower work experience requirement, for example? It might depend on how much wex you have under your belt already.

That's the reason I'm taking 2 years out - I've already applied to London, and don't want to waste another go to leave me with little options (Scottish unis and Bristol are out of the question, so that leaves Notts, Liv,London and Surrey)

I have 12 days equine hospital, 5 years riding school, 4 days laboratory, 1 week milking, 3/4 weeks mixed vet, and hopefully will be getting lambing/calving, kennels and more veterinary work.
At AS I got:
85% UMS in physics
86% UMS in chemistry
94% UMS in maths
96% UMS in biology

Work experience I hope to have by application in 2015 (most of it booked, more time to book more too):
2 week stables
3 weeks SA vets
3 weeks LA vets
2 days AI of ewes (1 day putting sponges in and 1 day being the actual AI procedure)
2 weeks pig farm
1 week hedgehog sanctuary
6 months volunteering at RSPCA (2 days a week)
6 months volunteering at kennels (once a week)
1 week dairy farm
2 weeks lambing
1 week AHVLA
1 week equine AI

I have a guaranteed interview at Bristol university (through the Access to Bristol scheme) but do I seem like a strong candidate?
Original post by Ebbsy
At AS I got:
85% UMS in physics
86% UMS in chemistry
94% UMS in maths
96% UMS in biology

Work experience I hope to have by application in 2015 (most of it booked, more time to book more too):
2 week stables
3 weeks SA vets
3 weeks LA vets
2 days AI of ewes (1 day putting sponges in and 1 day being the actual AI procedure)
2 weeks pig farm
1 week hedgehog sanctuary
6 months volunteering at RSPCA (2 days a week)
6 months volunteering at kennels (once a week)
1 week dairy farm
2 weeks lambing
1 week AHVLA
1 week equine AI

I have a guaranteed interview at Bristol university (through the Access to Bristol scheme) but do I seem like a strong candidate?

yes
Hey, i'm in year 12, so a few weeks into A levels and i want to be a vet obviously, but i'm quite worried about my GCSEs as they're not as strong as i would've like. (A*,AAA, Distinction and Bs for everything else. I'm doing loads of work experience and if i get the required grades for A level, i think there's a high chance someone else will be picked over me because of them. What does anyone else think?
Original post by chocolateshake
Hey, i'm in year 12, so a few weeks into A levels and i want to be a vet obviously, but i'm quite worried about my GCSEs as they're not as strong as i would've like. (A*,AAA, Distinction and Bs for everything else. I'm doing loads of work experience and if i get the required grades for A level, i think there's a high chance someone else will be picked over me because of them. What does anyone else think?

So long as you meet the minimum GCSE grades (which vary by uni) then I wouldn't worry. AS grades / prediction, work experience, BMAT (if applicable) and interview performance are what the unis really focus on.
Original post by SilverstarDJ
So long as you meet the minimum GCSE grades (which vary by uni) then I wouldn't worry. AS grades / prediction, work experience, BMAT (if applicable) and interview performance are what the unis really focus on.

Okay Dokey, i'll have a look at the individual universities then :-) Thank you very much!
Reply 2175
What did you get your A*/As in chocolateshake?
Original post by ABC05
What did you get your A*/As in chocolateshake?

A* Biology
A Chemistry
A Physics
A English lit

(Also got a distinction in OCR It and the school said the course is worth about 2-3 GSCEs but i'm not sure what Universities think about them)
Reply 2177
I have just finished another week at the vets :smile: I saw my first cesarean today :biggrin: Almost every vet I have met has told me that I don't want to become a vet! Is it really that bad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2178
Original post by Tiffanya
I have just finished another week at the vets :smile: I saw my first cesarean today :biggrin: Almost every vet I have met has told me that I don't want to become a vet! Is it really that bad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, C-section sounds amazing! Don't really understand, how would they know that you don't want to become a vet? :confused:
Reply 2179
Original post by ABC05
Wow, C-section sounds amazing! Don't really understand, how would they know that you don't want to become a vet? :confused:

Yeah it was great :tongue:

I'm not sure how to explain it but, they just meant that being a vet isn't as good as I or they thought it is? :s-smilie: and they maybe aren't happy, so they are saying to me that I shouldn't do it? That I don't really want to because it's hard.

Sorry that doesn't really make sense :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending