The Student Room Group

Your views on Knife Crime

As part of my GCSE Citizenship Coursework, I am investigating the views people have on the issue of Knife crime and how it can be stopped. It would be nice to hear your views on this issue. Please can you answer these following questions:

a) What is your view on Knife crime?

b) Do you think that enough is being done to reduce Knife crime?

c) What do you think could be done to reduce the number of Knife crimes both locally and nationally?
a. I think knife crime should be stopped full stop. However in today's society this will not happen. It is down to the minority of people who decide to take a life by stabbing someone that gives a knife a bad name.

b. no

c. license to buy a knife
Reply 2
Original post by I Love Rabbits
a. I think knife crime should be stopped full stop. However in today's society this will not happen. It is down to the minority of people who decide to take a life by stabbing someone that gives a knife a bad name.

b. no

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by I Love Rabbits

b. no

Nailed it. Though i'd say maybe alternatives could be found to license..not quite sure what though.
Original post by tenia
Thank you :smile:

whatever
Original post by tenia
As part of my GCSE Citizenship Coursework, I am investigating the views people have on the issue of Knife crime and how it can be stopped. It would be nice to hear your views on this issue. Please can you answer these following questions:

c) What do you think could be done to reduce the number of Knife crimes both locally and nationally?

a) Obviously it's horrendous and any decent human being should not have to suffer from it.

b) (No) Severe sentences, anyone who points a knife to another is not fufiling their civic duty and needs to dealt with.

c) Harsher sentences, crack down on chav culture and more nationalism so people see each other as equals not people to be abused. The categorical imperative if you will.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IronSoldier
Nailed it. Though i'd say maybe alternatives could be found to license..not quite sure what though.

whatever
Original post by tenia

a) Not entirely sure what you mean by this question. Obviously it's terrible and I don't think anyone would deny that.

b) No, but it's hardly surprising since there isn't the political will.

c) Stuff like stricter enforcement and better education isn't going to work because it's not addressing the root cause of the issue. Knife crime - and crime in general - happens as a result of our failure as a society to address the huge amount of inequality and deprivation in our communities. If you want to stamp out knife crime, you need to prevent people from slipping into gang-culture in the first place. This requires a complete educational, economic and social reform which simply isn't possible in our money-driven society. People who claim that we can solve this problem simply by teaching people about the risks really aren't thinking things through properly. It's much, much more complex than that.

Original post by Are you Shaw?
a) Obviously it's horrendous and any decent human being should not have to suffer from it.

b) (No) Severe sentences, anyone who points a knife to another is not fufiling their civic duty and needs to dealt with.

c) Harsher sentences, crack down on chav culture and more nationalism so people see each other as equals not people to be abused. The categorical imperative if you will.

I don't think you understand the mindset of criminals, nor how to deal with crime effectively. Of course it makes 'sense' that getting harsher sentences reduces crime. However, if you look at the facts, you will see that there is absolutely no connection between the severity of the law and crime. Look at the US, for instance. Their penal system is much more harsh than ours - they even have the death penalty - yet their crime rate is much, much higher than ours.

When we're discussing people who are likely to commit knife crime, we're not discussing ambitious rich kids who have an amazing future ahead of them. We're talking about people who have grown up in complete economic and social deprivation, people who are being completely and totally alienated from society. Harsher punishments aren't going to faze them. Most of them don't think they have a future anyway. You can see it clearly in the statistics. People are so desperate that they are committing crimes to get into prison, because their lives outside are too horrible to cope with. Putting the blame on the offenders and trying to solve the issue by saying "punish them more" is going to do nothing. It's an easy solution that makes the general public happy, but does absolutely nothing to actually solve the issue.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
hi..does anyone know where I can find the citizenship today soft copy textbook( update for both the full and short course edexcel GCSE)
Knifes can kill people too!
Reply 10
Original post by anzals
hi..does anyone know where I can find the citizenship today soft copy textbook( update for both the full and short course edexcel GCSE)

From WHSmith

Quick Reply

Latest