The Student Room Group

Antifa activist murdered in NYC

https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-sought-nyc-fatal-stabbing-ryan-carson/story?id=103708112

Above story is available on uk news - but I do not link to BBC on principle as it is not a reliable source.

So self confessed Antifa activist Ryan Carson was murdered on the streets of New York the other day. He was walking with his girlfriend, when a male walked past them, confronted them and shouted "What the ---- are you looking at?" Carson attempted to de-escalate the situation and was then stabbed in the heart, before falling to the floor and being stabbed and kicked further. The male then spat in the face of the girlfriend, Claudia Morales, a BLM activist who has campaigned strongly for defunding police.

So, all these Antifa / BLM demands for getting rid of police and the notion that any situation can be de-escalated is going really really well isn't it? New York has gone fully down the route of not prosecuting even some very violent offences.

All I can say is - look out Britain. It's coming here. You get the policing you deserve. If you keep on pushing and pushing and trying to have criminal justice replaced with social justice - this is what you get.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very unfortunate.

However it already has happened here. The British public elected a Conservative government that defunded the police. We can see the lawlessness it has created.
Knife crime coming to Britain? Say it ain't so.
Reply 3
Update:

A Gofundme has been set up (and received tens of thousands of dollars) to benefit the girlfriend of the deceased.

The girlfriend (and primary witness) has refused to give a description of the attacker to police as she does not wish to propogate racial stereotypes.
Reply 4
Original post by Captain Haddock
Knife crime coming to Britain? Say it ain't so.

You think we have knife crime? We don't have knife crime.

Marseille has 1/10 the population of London, but more knife crime (total - not proportionately). Italy has actual vocabulary words for people that ride around on scooters stabbing people, due to how much it happens in Turin. New York City has the same number of knife homicides as London - in a city where knives are much less popular choice as a weapon and a higher homicide rate overall. We don't have knife crime.

If we keep going with the narratives that we have of social justice, universal de-escalation, and defunding the police - we will have knife crime.
Original post by Trinculo

Marseille has 1/10 the population of London, but more knife crime (total - not proportionately). Italy has actual vocabulary words for people that ride around on scooters stabbing people, due to how much it happens in Turin. New York City has the same number of knife homicides as London - in a city where knives are much less popular choice as a weapon and a higher homicide rate overall. We don't have knife crime.

If we keep going with the narratives that we have of social justice, universal de-escalation, and defunding the police - we will have knife crime.

Your argument is meaningless without budget figures for any of these places. You can't claim that "defunding the police" is to blame for high crime rates in specific towns / cities if you can't demonstrate that the police have even been defunded.

New York City spends more on police than London does (both in total and per capita) yet London has a homicide rate about 2-3 times smaller. NYC also has more police officers. All this says is that London is a safer place despite there being less money spent on the police...? If you want to compare countries, Ireland has a homicide rate less than half of that than the UK but spends a comparable amount on the police (per capita).

It's almost as if crime is more complicated than 'More Police / More Money = Less Crime". 🤯
(edited 6 months ago)
So many rampaging thugs wandering the streets of major cities in Britain, the USA, Russia, much of western europe and Israel looking to cause trouble for other people as a matter of habit.
Plenty of them armed with knives or weapons unlawful to carry in a public place.

I hope that the culprit is identified and apprehended very soon.
Ideally before he commits another murder.
Or attempts knife attacks upon members of the police or military.

Has New York defunded the NYPD? Is that why this guy was killed?

The only apparent link between this incident and defunding the police is that the latter is something the victim supposedly argued in favour of. I think your brain has short-circuited somewhere.
(edited 6 months ago)
The guy died in the most stupid way possible by running into a bench.

Original post by Gazpacho.
Very unfortunate.

However it already has happened here. The British public elected a Conservative government that defunded the police. We can see the lawlessness it has created.

and yet they still have the time to go for people being rude on twitter.
Reply 9
They caught the guy. No doubt he'll get a slap on the wrist and probably go meet his pen pal on his release, which I'm sure will be Ryan's girlfriend.
I saw the video of him getting stabbed.

I mean no disrespect when I say this but this guy had to have grown up in some kind of privileged 0 crime town. Bro was sitting on a bench in the middle of the night on the streets of new york an angry guy walks by kicking stuff ryan gets up to confront him I think he was trying to console the perp but ends up getting attacked his girlfriend who's also there doesn't do anything doesn't call for help doesn't apply pressure to his wounds none of that. The perpetrator comes back seeming like he's going to stab Ryan's girlfriend but stops midway and walks off. The perps girlfriend pops up and apologises to them and Ryan's girlfriend tells her it's okay lol.

Idk that entire video I watched was super sketchy it seemed more like a well thought out setup if anything.
Reply 12
Original post by SHallowvale
Your argument is meaningless without budget figures for any of these places. You can't claim that "defunding the police" is to blame for high crime rates in specific towns / cities if you can't demonstrate that the police have even been defunded.

New York City spends more on police than London does (both in total and per capita) yet London has a homicide rate about 2-3 times smaller. NYC also has more police officers. All this says is that London is a safer place despite there being less money spent on the police...? If you want to compare countries, Ireland has a homicide rate less than half of that than the UK but spends a comparable amount on the police (per capita).

It's almost as if crime is more complicated than 'More Police / More Money = Less Crime". 🤯

Alas im much too laxy to go find the reports but the BBC had several articles on crime rate spikes after defunding the police was mooted in several US towns. The less said about CHAZ the better as well. Hell, even the threat of it led to spikes in crime when police refused to go to certain areas or quit en-masse.
At the end of the day, people are violent and the lower dregs of society need to have a firm hand to keep them in check. This really isn't a debatable proposition its widely viewable all over the world. 'defunding' the police can hardly have any end but a rise in crime. After all, criminals are not all poor misunderstood boys (and girls) who're victims of circumstance or so called racism, plenty are just nasty people who need to be in a cell for everyones benefit.
Reply 13
Original post by Captain Haddock
Has New York defunded the NYPD? Is that why this guy was killed?

The only apparent link between this incident and defunding the police is that the latter is something the victim supposedly argued in favour of. I think your brain has short-circuited somewhere.

No, but you must admit theres a great deal of irony in a person advocating for a very soft touch to hardened criminals and how they just need a bit of coddling being promptly murdered by one who would serve as a case study for him..
Original post by Napp
Alas im much too laxy to go find the reports but the BBC had several articles on crime rate spikes after defunding the police was mooted in several US towns. The less said about CHAZ the better as well. Hell, even the threat of it led to spikes in crime when police refused to go to certain areas or quit en-masse.
At the end of the day, people are violent and the lower dregs of society need to have a firm hand to keep them in check. This really isn't a debatable proposition its widely viewable all over the world. 'defunding' the police can hardly have any end but a rise in crime. After all, criminals are not all poor misunderstood boys (and girls) who're victims of circumstance or so called racism, plenty are just nasty people who need to be in a cell for everyones benefit.

My point is that 'More Funding = Less Crime' is not a valid relationship, the statistics show otherwise.

The idea behind defunding the police is that you would re-route the funding into programs that would help stop crime to begin with, e.g. better mental health services, support for people in poverty, better schools, etc. Adding more police won't stop the causes of crime, it would just cause more people to get arrested for it.
The girlfriend (and primary witness) has refused to give a description of the attacker to police as she does not wish to propogate racial stereotypes.

If true I think that’s the funniest thing I’ve ever read. What would be even funnier is if the same guy gets her as well.
Original post by Djtoodles
If true I think that’s the funniest thing I’ve ever read. What would be even funnier is if the same guy gets her as well.

Murder is hilarious, isn’t it?

Here is a piece that may enlighten you as to the puerility of your perspective:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/13/nyregion/ryan-carson-murder.html
Original post by Gazpacho.
Murder is hilarious, isn’t it?

Here is a piece that may enlighten you as to the puerility of your perspective:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/13/nyregion/ryan-carson-murder.html

No murder is bad, but stupidity and irony are funny as hell and irony plus stupidity is even funnier.
(edited 6 months ago)

Wanting to see someone get murdered to own the libs.
No murder is bad, but stupidity and irony are funny as hell and irony plus stupidity is even funnier.

If you’d taken the time to read around the reporting of the case you’d find no reference to his girlfriend refusing to give a description. In fact it is entirely redundant as there is clear video footage of the incident.

But rather than engage in such basic fact checking you stupidly accept a claim made by someone on the internet and go on to make idiotic statements about how you hope the murderer gets his girlfriend too.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending