The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Whooh1
What are the requirements for dublin in terms of Alevels?
How would you apply as it's not through UCAS?

Not sure what the requirements are for A level as I'm not applying with them (just check out thier webisit there's even a point calculator! -https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=52)
you apply through a website called CAO which is the UCAS equivalent :smile:
Original post by amylocket
It's not the grades I'm worried about, my GCSEs are quite good. Really my question was, could I put Nottingham as my firm choice and Edinburgh as my insurance even though the entry requirements are higher?

You could do, but I wouldn't personally. If you're unlucky not to quite achieve the required grades, you're more likely to get the one you almost made the grades for.
Can I ask, any re-applicants from the last 2014 cycle?

If so, what are you planning with your gap year?
What open days are people planning on going to and if you've already been to some what tips do you have on what to expect and what to ask?
Anyone watching lambing live?
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

I watched it! I go lambing for the first time in a couple weeks so it's getting me quite excited for that.
Reply 2706
Original post by ABC05
These guys farm dairy, not sure how close they are to you - all I know is that they're in Lancashire! There are quite a few local B&Bs http://www.oldhollyfarm.com/index.html

Do you know anybody or have you been to this farm? I have tried contacting them and they don't seem to Reply to me . Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! I'm leaving on the 10th, so it's really useful! :biggrin:
Reply 2708
Original post by 0802
Do you know anybody or have you been to this farm? I have tried contacting them and they don't seem to Reply to me . Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

No sorry, I just found it on Google!
Reply 2709
Original post by ABC05
No sorry, I just found it on Google!

Oh it's ok! I found it on google too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2710

Yes, saw it last night, and looking forward to it tonight! They've got a piece on the ultrasound of the ewes tonight, which I am particularly interested in
Missed it tonight as I was at Explorers (although to be fair we had a contest to find the best pizza + chips in our area so I am feeling very fat although very happy rn :tongue: ). I have an entire day of coursework tomorrow (phys and chem... boo!) so will catch up tomorrow evening :biggrin:
Okay guys so I'm thinking that I may not be applying for veterinary anymore! Well it's still kind of an option but I've made two different plans instead, it's mainly because I'm scared my grades aren't going to be good enough but I'm still looking at an animal based route!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2713
I'm struggling to find out entry requirement conversions of English A levels (I think) to Scottish Highers for the English unis. Wondering if anyone knew them?
Original post by hannapoole
Okay guys so I'm thinking that I may not be applying for veterinary anymore! Well it's still kind of an option but I've made two different plans instead, it's mainly because I'm scared my grades aren't going to be good enough but I'm still looking at an animal based route!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't let grades be a reason if it's what you truly want! If you're realllllyyy struggling, getting lower than B's, then fair enough :tongue: Maybe you haven't found the best way of revising yet! And doing an animal based route would just make you think 'what if...' I think :redface:
I'm no longer going to reapply because I don't think I'm 'compatible' with the course; the application process made me unbelievably stressed and depressed and I know how much the actual course has in store so :rolleyes:
Original post by hannapoole

Hey,
As someone who's probably not applying for vet med any more (and for the same reasons). I can empathise. Changing your mind can be daunting, but it's better to decide exactly want to do before you apply for courses, so in a way it's good that you've come to this conclusion now. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do and well done for making alternative plans; I decided against vet med months ago and I'm still clueless :lol: ! As you say there are other animal-related careers out there and the most important thing is to do what makes you happy :smile: Promise you'll stick around on the thread, though :wink: ? We'd miss you otherwise!

Original post by Tom39
I'm struggling to find out entry requirement conversions of English A levels (I think) to Scottish Highers for the English unis. Wondering if anyone knew them?

Are they not online?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tom39

Bristol - SH: AAAAB and AH: AA in Chemistry and Biology

Liv - 'Not accepted without Advanced Highers' don't particularly know what that means :tongue:

Notts - 'grade A in biology and chemistry, grade B in a third subject; minimum of five grade 1s in Scottish Standards to include chemistry, biology and physics, grade 2 in maths and English language; biology, chemistry and physics at grade A at Scottish Highers can compensate for achieving a grade two in Scottish Standards.'

RVC - Advanced Highers at AA or AB grades in: Biology, Chemistry
in addition to 5 Highers at AAAAB grades including: Biology, Chemistry, and at least Intermediate 2 or Standard Credit Grade 1 or 2 in: Physics, English, Mathematics

Surrey - Highers

AAA - AAAAB including specified subjects.

AAB - AAABB including specified subjects.

ABB - AABBB including specified subjects.

BBB - ABBBB including specified subjects.

Advanced Highers

AAA - AAA including specified subjects.

AAB - AAB including specified subjects.

ABB - ABB including specified subjects.

BBB - BBB including specified subjects.

I have no idea about scottish stuff, so make of this what you will!
Original post by Liberty.
I wouldn't let grades be a reason if it's what you truly want! If you're realllllyyy struggling, getting lower than B's, then fair enough :tongue: Maybe you haven't found the best way of revising yet! And doing an animal based route would just make you think 'what if...' I think :redface:
I'm no longer going to reapply because I don't think I'm 'compatible' with the course; the application process made me unbelievably stressed and depressed and I know how much the actual course has in store so :rolleyes:

No I'm not completely giving up about the grades it's just I case I don't get the grades in the summer I want a back up option! So if I do get A's I'll still apply but if I end up coming out with some lower, especially in my sciences, I'll go with my alternative route!

Hey,
As someone who's probably not applying for vet med any more (and for the same reasons). I can empathise. Changing your mind can be daunting, but it's better to decide exactly want to do before you apply for courses, so in a way it's good that you've come to this conclusion now. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do and well done for making alternative plans; I decided against vet med months ago and I'm still clueless :lol: ! As you say there are other animal-related careers out there and the most important thing is to do what makes you happy :smile: Promise you'll stick around on the thread, though :wink: ? We'd miss you otherwise!

And I definitely will be sticking around on here LTC! Veterinary is still a possible option so I still need all of your guys help and chats about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know anything about accommodation at open-days? I seem to remember reading somewhere that some universities provide discounted accommodation for people that are planning on visiting?
I always get really nostalgic when reading back over this thread :moon: . Some of the older posts are over a year old now, and although that isn't very old in the grand scheme of things, it seems so long ago. Some of the things I wrote about just make me miss people. A lot of the people that used to work on the farm have gone their separate ways now (there's only four people that have been there longer than I have!), and while I'm really happy that they got better jobs and furthered their careers, I do miss all the fun times we used to have :frown: . Like impromptu snowball fights, trying to salvage a charity event when the air ambulance couldn't land, and rating the firemen out of ten when they came to rescue a cow that was down. Good times :') We worked really hard and always got the work done, but we knew how to have some fun as well. I wish I still had the determination that I had back then...

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending