The Student Room Group

Shapes of molecules.

When working out bond angles, I know you count a double bond as 1 bond not 2. So what happens if you have a single bond and a dative covalent bond, or a double bond and a dative covalent bond to the same atom. Do you count it as 1 area of electron density like you would with a normal double bond?
A dative covalent bond is the same as one single bond :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by EierVonSatan
A dative covalent bond is the same as one single bond :yep:

So if you had 1 dative covalent bond and 1 single bond from one atom to another, would you count that as 1 area of negative charge or 2? :s-smilie:
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
So if you had 1 dative covalent bond and 1 single bond from one atom to another, would you count that as 1 area of negative charge or 2? :s-smilie:

I see what you're getting at now. Something like CO, which has a double bond and a dative bond between two atoms? That's exactly the same as having 1 triple bond. And you count multiple bonds and single bonds the same for determining shape - they both count as one area of negative charge :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by EierVonSatan
I see what you're getting at now. Something like CO, which has a double bond and a dative bond between two atoms? That's exactly the same as having 1 triple bond. And you count multiple bonds and single bonds the same for determining shape - they both count as one area of negative charge :smile:

Yes that's what I meant :smile: thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest