The Student Room Group

BSF polarity

Hi, I’m quite confused on the polarity of BSF. I’ve searched it up and google says its non polar but i don't get how because the shape is asymmetrical and there is an electronegativity difference between the atoms? Thanks!
Original post by anonymous294
Hi, I’m quite confused on the polarity of BSF. I’ve searched it up and google says its non polar but i don't get how because the shape is asymmetrical and there is an electronegativity difference between the atoms? Thanks!

Please provide a reference for its (supposed) non-polarity.
The structure is polar.
You are probably getting confused with BF3, which is non-polar
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Please provide a reference for its (supposed) non-polarity.
The structure is polar.
You are probably getting confused with BF3, which is non-polar

I think it was on here it said it was non-polar https://brainly.com/question/32237726 Not the most reliable website :frown:
Does that mean that BSF will have pd-pd forces then?
Thank you!
Original post by anonymous294
I think it was on here it said it was non-polar https://brainly.com/question/32237726 Not the most reliable website :frown:
Does that mean that BSF will have pd-pd forces then?
Thank you!

S=B-F would definitely be polar.

The question on that website is whether the S=B bond is polar (as opposed to the whole molecule itself). I would think it should be slightly polar as there is a relatively small difference in electronegativity between S and B (2.58 vs 2.04).

Even though the likely linear shape would have two dipoles facing opposing directions, because the dipoles are non-identical and not of equal strengths, there would still be a resultant and so the molecule would be polar and you would expect pd-pd interactions.
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
S=B-F would definitely be polar.

The question on that website is whether the S=B bond is polar (as opposed to the whole molecule itself). I would think it should be slightly polar as there is a relatively small difference in electronegativity between S and B (2.58 vs 2.04).

Even though the likely linear shape would have two dipoles facing opposing directions, because the dipoles are non-identical and not of equal strengths, there would still be a resultant and so the molecule would be polar and you would expect pd-pd interactions.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest