The Student Room Group

Additonal Maths line equations

I've noticed in mark schemes, the equation of graphs is in the format ax+by=0. If I give the correct answer in the form y=mx+c, does it make a difference?
Original post by Year11guy
I've noticed in mark schemes, the equation of graphs is in the format ax+by=0. If I give the correct answer in the form y=mx+c, does it make a difference?

It doesn't make a difference as long as the question doesn't specify which form you need to leave your answer in.

As long as the question doesn't specify it, you won't lose marks. However, whilst y=mx+c is the way you're taught to do it at GCSE, there are a number of advantages with ax+by=0. Especially if you find yourself getting fractional coefficients with mx+c, it's not a bad idea to get into the habit of ax+by when it's appropriate.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
As long as the question doesn't specify it, you won't lose marks. However, whilst y=mx+c is the way you're taught to do it at GCSE, there are a number of advantages with ax+by=0. Especially if you find yourself getting fractional coefficients with mx+c, it's not a bad idea to get into the habit of ax+by when it's appropriate.

How exactly do you do it? For example: y= -0.75x+1.75
How exactly do you do it? For example: y= -0.75x+1.75

That function is equal to y=34x+74y=-\frac{3}{4}x+\frac{7}{4}. So we just multiple both sides by 4 to get 4y=3x+74y=-3x+7 and then move everything to one side to get 4y+3x7=04y+3x-7=0. You'll find that it's a lot better to keep things in fraction form than decimal form.
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
That function is equal to y=34x+74y=-\frac{3}{4}x+\frac{7}{4}. So we just multiple both sides by 4 to get 4y=3x+74y=-3x+7 and then move everything to one side to get 4y+3x7=04y+3x-7=0. You'll find that it's a lot better to keep things in fraction form than decimal form.

Oh, I see. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest