(y = x+k, x^2+y^2-6x-23=0)
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by caramel:)
Can someone help me with this question:

find the values of k for which the equation 2x^2 +2(k-3) +k^2-23 = 0

(y = x+k, x^2+y^2-6x-23=0)

I presume you mean that the question is when does the equations have real solutions?
Youve an "x" missing fro the combined equation, but for real x, have you thought of using the discriminant?

Note that you could sketch the two equations as they represent a line intersecting a circle and you could do the problem geometrically or ...
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
I presume you mean that the question is when does the equations have real solutions?
Youve an "x" missing fro the combined equation, but for real x, have you thought of using the discriminant?

Note that you could sketch the two equations as they represent a line intersecting a circle.

i mean i dont know why i would use the discriminant if the question asks to find k when the equation has real roots
Reply 3
i mean i dont know why i would use the discriminant if the question asks to find k when the equation has real roots

x will be real valued if the discriminant (as a function of k) is >=0 as usual. It should give an inequality in k as the question asks for.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
x will be real valued if the discriminant (as a function of k) is >=0 as usual. It should give an inequality in k as the question asks for.

the answer's 5 and -11 theres no inequality
Reply 5

Does the question ask for the tangent (a single real solution) or when are there two real solutions or ...?
Reply 6

Can you post the whole question please?
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Does the question ask for the tangent (a single real solution) or when are there two real solutions or ...?

this question asks just for the values for k
the next question however asks to describe the relationship between the line and circle when k takes either of the values found in b
Reply 8
this question asks just for the values for k
the next question however asks to describe the relationship between the line and circle when k takes either of the values found in b

Can you post the actual question. If the answers are 5 and -11 it must ask for the values of k where there is a single real solution (so the line is tangent to the circle), so the discrimiant = 0 as usual.
Reply 9
FE26D940-397D-4605-801B-E1D901FBD956.jpeg Question 6
Original post by Muttley79
Can you post the whole question please?
Reply 10

whoops i didnt realise it was upside down
Reply 11

b) asks for when it has equal roots or when there is a single root. So discriminant=0.
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
b) asks for when it has equal roots or when there is a single root. So discriminant=0.

sorry :confused:
i have no idea how to use the discriminant in this equation how do i work out 4ac
Reply 13
i have no idea how to use the discriminant in this equation how do i work out 4ac

The coefficients are functions of k. Youll end up with a quadratic in k and hence get two solutions for k.
a is what multiplies the "x^2"
b is what multiplies the "x"
c is what remains

2x^2 +2(k-3)x +k^2-23 = 0 so what are a, b and c in this quadratic?
Reply 15
Original post by mqb2766
The coefficients are functions of k. Youll end up with a quadratic in k and hence get two solutions for k.
a is what multiplies the "x^2"
b is what multiplies the "x"
c is what remains

ok so ive done (2(k-3))^2 minus (4 * 2 * -23) and all im getting is a surd answer and not 5 and -11
Reply 16
ok so ive done (2(k-3))^2 minus (4 * 2 * -23) and all im getting is a surd answer and not 5 and -11

It would help to post the full working, but the c should include the k^2 term.
Reply 17
image.jpg
Original post by mqb2766
It would help to post the full working, but the c should include the k^2 term.
Reply 18
Going from line 1 to 2, two negatives is a plus (last term)

Note you really should put brackets round the (k^2-23) and write it as an equation so "=0", rather than just an expression.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by mqb2766
Going from line 1 to 2, two negatives is a plus (last term)

Note you really should put brackets round the (k^2-23) and write it as an equation=0, rather than just an expression.

OMG TYSM i redid it and got 5 and -11

Quick Reply

Latest