The Student Room Group

Does this convergence? Justify your answer..

An=(n^2+2^n)/((n^2)+2)

2 mark question from University past paper which is bugging me slightly.

I say that An is a sequence of non-negative integers and is not bounded, therefore, An diverges.

Is that enough of a justification or am I missing something here?
Reply 1
Anddddd epic thread title grammar fail :woo:
Reply 2
Original post by MSI_10
An=(n^2+2^n)/((n^2)+2)

2 mark question from University past paper which is bugging me slightly.

I say that An is a sequence of non-negative integers and is not bounded, therefore, An diverges.

Is that enough of a justification or am I missing something here?

How do you know the terms are integers - I don't think they are!

You basically need to be comparing the growth of the numerator with that of the denominator, which should be fairly easy to do since the n^2 terms are the same so you just need to say something about 2^n compared to 2.
Original post by davros

You basically need to be comparing the growth of the numerator with that of the denominator, which should be fairly easy to do since the n^2 terms are the same so you just need to say something about 2^n compared to 2.

It has been a while but I would have looked at

1+2nn21+2n2\dfrac{1+\frac{2^n}{n^2}}{1+\frac{2}{n^2}}

Since 2n2\frac{2}{n^2} tends to 0 I would be considering2nn2\frac{2^n}{n^2}

Which, of course, does diverge

latex fail - not sure why
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by davros

ah yeah I meant positive real numbers... it's provided in notes that exponential growth, is obviously, bigger than constant ''growth'' since constants do not change therefore 2^n>=2 for all n belonging to natural numbers.
Reply 5
I read in awe of your superior mathematics skills, if only I had chosen to listen and do the work past year nine, I may not feel like such a simpleton.
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem

Yeah, I was being a bit lazy when I glanced at it earlier - the point I was trying to make was that the numerator would grow much more quickly than the denominator, so it's not sufficient just to compare to the constant term.
Reply 7
Original post by TenOfThem

One more..

Summation of (n/n+1)

which series convergence test is recommended? I tried ratio which gave (n^2+2n)/(n^2+2n+1) which doesn't seem to help because this gives convergence to 1 (by diving through by n^2) which means the ratio test tells us nothing.
Original post by MSI_10
One more..

Summation of (n/n+1)

which series convergence test is recommended? I tried ratio which gave (n^2+2n)/(n^2+2n+1) which doesn't seem to help because this gives convergence to 1 (by diving through by n^2) which means the ratio test tells us nothing.

Compare to Harmonic Series.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by MSI_10
One more..

Summation of (n/n+1)

If you really are summing a series with that as the general term then it won't converge in a million years because it fails the basic test that the general term must tend to 0 as n -> infinity :smile:
Apart from the issue of it not necessarily being an integer (take n=1n=1), you should justify that it is unbounded (the whole integer / non-negative part is entirely unnecessary, since every convergent sequence of real numbers is bounded). Try the comparison test.

Original post by MSI_10
One more..

Summation of (n/n+1)

The null sequence test gives it immediately.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by BlueSam3
Apart from the issue of it not necessarily being an integer (take n=1n=1), you should justify that it is unbounded (the whole integer / non-negative part is entirely unnecessary, since every convergent sequence of real numbers is bounded). Try the comparison test.

The null sequence test gives it immediately.

Thanks for the extra verification.

Last one for today:

Summation of an=n/(n^3-1) from n=2 to n--->infinity

By comparison test, we get that an is less than 1/n^2. Since 1/n^2 converges to 0 as n--->infiniry, we conclude that an tends to 0 as n---> infinity. since 0<1, we conclude that summation of an converges
Reply 12
Original post by MSI_10

Last one for today:

By comparison test, we get that an is less than 1/n^2. Since 1/n^2 converges to 0 as n--->infiniry, we conclude that an tends to 0 as n---> infinity. since 0<1, we conclude that summation of an converges

NO - you need to compare the SUM of your sequence with the SUM of 1/n^2.

It't not the fact that 1/n^2 ->0 that is relevant here, it's the fact that Σ(1/n2)\Sigma (1/n^2) converges that is important.
Original post by MSI_10

Last one for today:

That doesn't work. (an)0⇏an<(a_n) \to 0\not\Rightarrow \sum a_n < \infty (an=1na_n = \frac{1}{n} being the canonical example). I think you're trying to apply the ratio test to establish that 1n2\sum \frac{1}{n^2} converges, but have forgotten to take ratios. It won't work anyway, since the ratios approach 1, so the ratio test is inconclusive.
Original post by MSI_10

By comparison test, we get that an is less than 1/n^2. Aside from the other objections given, a_n is actually greater than 1./n^2.

Quick Reply

Latest