The Student Room Group

BUSS1 / BUSS2 Exam TechniqueA

Any tips on how to approach business 1 / 2? I got a C last year in both and am retaking both hoping for an A grade. Any tips on hitting GdAp/GdAn/GdEv?

Scroll to see replies

Are you referring to the BUSS1 and BUSS2 exams by AQA?

On this basis, I'll assume that you are. I've attempted many past papers and have gotten them marked by one of my teachers and I've had multiple problems in the past with it too! Tutor2u is a great resource to use, it has certain articles sometimes that talk about essay structure if you know where to look for it.

A good device they use is called BLT, which I find a really handy technique. BLT is an acronym for 'Because, Leading to, and Therefore'.

When you are writing your essay it's good to follow this structure after making your point and giving your evidence. After you explain your evidence you talk about the effect it has on the Business and why it happens (This is your B in the acronym).

Then you go on further to talk about what the effect could lead to. So when you explain what happens to the business because of the effect it has you talk about what this then leads on to. So this bit would be your next letter, L.Typically when you write about what this leads to you should explain again why it happens as you're explaining to the examiner why it has happened and this comes down to the strength of your analysis (GAN).

Then when you come down to your summary, you want to be using Therefore! So you replicate your original point that you made and explain very VERY VERY briefly why/how it affects the Business.

So in very simple terms BLT can be used to illustrate your good analysis however you may struggle on how to get your GAP. Notice through the methods of my explanation I always talk about 'the business'? It's pretty straight forward. Your picking up relevant points you make through the story and you relate it to the business. DO NOT make yourself sound like a textbook! It can be very nerve-racking to just think of the technical theories that you can put down. Try to relate every point you have about the business and how it will affect their options/choices they make. The examiner is looking at how you can relate it to the particular individual you're given to study.

That's that really, it should be plain and simple; nothing complex!!! Make sure you get your teacher to peer assess your work frequently and make sure they do it very critically. Hope all goes well with your exam. As I mentioned earlier this is presumed on the basis that you're taking BUSS1 & BUSS2 exams. Hope this helps!

Original Article: http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/can-i-have-a-blt-with-some-such-as-seasoning-please-developing-exam-skills

Please give me a thumbs up if you like this source
Original post by johnwhite732
Are you referring to the BUSS1 and BUSS2 exams by AQA?

On this basis, I'll assume that you are. I've attempted many past papers and have gotten them marked by one of my teachers and I've had multiple problems in the past with it too! Tutor2u is a great resource to use, it has certain articles sometimes that talk about essay structure if you know where to look for it.

A good device they use is called BLT, which I find a really handy technique. BLT is an acronym for 'Because, Leading to, and Therefore'.

When you are writing your essay it's good to follow this structure after making your point and giving your evidence. After you explain your evidence you talk about the effect it has on the Business and why it happens (This is your B in the acronym).

Then you go on further to talk about what the effect could lead to. So when you explain what happens to the business because of the effect it has you talk about what this then leads on to. So this bit would be your next letter, L.Typically when you write about what this leads to you should explain again why it happens as you're explaining to the examiner why it has happened and this comes down to the strength of your analysis (GAN).

Then when you come down to your summary, you want to be using Therefore! So you replicate your original point that you made and explain very VERY VERY briefly why/how it affects the Business.

So in very simple terms BLT can be used to illustrate your good analysis however you may struggle on how to get your GAP. Notice through the methods of my explanation I always talk about 'the business'? It's pretty straight forward. Your picking up relevant points you make through the story and you relate it to the business. DO NOT make yourself sound like a textbook! It can be very nerve-racking to just think of the technical theories that you can put down. Try to relate every point you have about the business and how it will affect their options/choices they make. The examiner is looking at how you can relate it to the particular individual you're given to study.

That's that really, it should be plain and simple; nothing complex!!! Make sure you get your teacher to peer assess your work frequently and make sure they do it very critically. Hope all goes well with your exam. As I mentioned earlier this is presumed on the basis that you're taking BUSS1 & BUSS2 exams. Hope this helps!

Original Article: http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/can-i-have-a-blt-with-some-such-as-seasoning-please-developing-exam-skills

Please give me a thumbs up if you like this source

Thanks a lot man! :smile:
can someone tell me if this essay would be good for full marks for the analyse question? An income budget is the agreed planned sales of a business over a particular period of time. There could be quite a few problem with Akanni being able to produce an accurate income budget in option B. But why? Essentially there is not fixed guarantee on the level of demand for his products i.e. he is just relies on word of mouth advertising. He knows there is a demand for his product amongst his family and those gluten intolerant however it is insufficient as there is no numerical data to produce a income budget i.e. to show how sales revenue he would make ( how many products will actually be sold). This is not helped by the fact he has no experience making his income budget of sales being between £360,000 in the first year too £500,000. These seem highly unrealistic and seem to come from no where therefore making it difficult for him to budget the income correctly once again. In addition to this he has no market research actually correlating to the level of price or a numerical level of price in which people are likely to pay if he sold the products directly further adding to the difficult of forming an income budget. Since if he does not have any idea of the most probable level of price at people are willing to pay how can he form a income budget since he would not know if people would buy it. There is also the factor he does not know if consumer like his products or not. I.e. they may be desperate for his products i.e. gluten free but when they taste his products and they taste of poo well there will be a major negative change in the tastes of consumers towards his products in which case the demand of his products will fall sharly= less quantity of units sold hence affecting the total sales revenue and therefore the income budget. This changing in the tastes itself makes it difficult to draw up the income budget too since as he has no identified the consumers tastes therefore cannot predict whether they will sell.
Original post by PharmacyDoctor
can someone tell me if this essay would be good for full marks for the analyse question? An income budget is the agreed planned sales of a business over a particular period of time. There could be quite a few problem with Akanni being able to produce an accurate income budget in option B. But why? Essentially there is not fixed guarantee on the level of demand for his products i.e. he is just relies on word of mouth advertising. He knows there is a demand for his product amongst his family and those gluten intolerant however it is insufficient as there is no numerical data to produce a income budget i.e. to show how sales revenue he would make ( how many products will actually be sold). This is not helped by the fact he has no experience making his income budget of sales being between £360,000 in the first year too £500,000. These seem highly unrealistic and seem to come from no where therefore making it difficult for him to budget the income correctly once again. In addition to this he has no market research actually correlating to the level of price or a numerical level of price in which people are likely to pay if he sold the products directly further adding to the difficult of forming an income budget. Since if he does not have any idea of the most probable level of price at people are willing to pay how can he form a income budget since he would not know if people would buy it. There is also the factor he does not know if consumer like his products or not. I.e. they may be desperate for his products i.e. gluten free but when they taste his products and they taste of poo well there will be a major negative change in the tastes of consumers towards his products in which case the demand of his products will fall sharly= less quantity of units sold hence affecting the total sales revenue and therefore the income budget. This changing in the tastes itself makes it difficult to draw up the income budget too since as he has no identified the consumers tastes therefore cannot predict whether they will sell.

Hi there, can you tell me what year of the paper you're doing is? I will read it for you and try to mark it as best I can, thanks
Hi there, can you tell me what year of the paper you're doing is? I will read it for you and try to mark it as best I can, thanks

Thanks dude! It's the june 2013 2(a)

Sorry about no para SR is not letting me seperate what I write. Only on my phone it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I the only one who hasn't done enough revision for this?
(enough as in ANY)
:eek:
Original post by Heatherjones77
(enough as in ANY)

Revising Business is too painful when I have other subjects that actually count. I will look over the possible calculations and maybe read the definitions from the textbook but I just can't bring myself to revise Business when I have Maths on the same day.
Any suggestions on what to revise quickly because I am certainly not doing everything.
Thanks dude! It's the june 2013 2(a)

Sorry about no para SR is not letting me seperate what I write. Only on my phone it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need that much detail. You don't want to sound like a textbook. In my earlier comment, a lot about Business Studies is that your referring it to the business. I can't remember what this is out of, but you definitely have to paraphrase from the case study to support your assumptions

Hope that helps

(Give me a thumbs up if that helps!)
Original post by Heatherjones77
(enough as in ANY)

Ahaha, I think I've done enough. Just don't know what to do sitting around at home on study leave :eek:
Original post by Alex Doran
Revising Business is too painful when I have other subjects that actually count. I will look over the possible calculations and maybe read the definitions from the textbook but I just can't bring myself to revise Business when I have Maths on the same day.
Any suggestions on what to revise quickly because I am certainly not doing everything.

You definitely want to have a glance over the definitions and make sure you're confident. Any key terminology definitely helps with definitions (Y)

As for choosing what to revise, I've found it's all in the structure of what you write, because in the exam, if you look at past papers and see what they mark you on, it's always about GAP and GAN. My Business teacher is always telling my class about it.

Another key thing in your exam is they always most definitely test you on your formulas. On BUSS1, they are always sure to test you on Breakeven. (I used to hate it so much last year, it's a complete nightmare!) The obvious formula for this is:

Fixed Costs
--------------- = Number of Sales need to breakeven
Contribution per unit

Contribution per unit is equal to your Selling price - your variable costs. It's called contribution as it's the money you pay to cover your fixed costs from what you've made from the sale.

I can post a few more but it's down right winded. I'll try and make a resource so that it's all on one sheet if you like. Hope that all helps. Just reply if you want the sheet/resource thingy. Thumbs up if this helps
You definitely want to have a glance over the definitions and make sure you're confident. Any key terminology definitely helps with definitions (Y)

As for choosing what to revise, I've found it's all in the structure of what you write, because in the exam, if you look at past papers and see what they mark you on, it's always about GAP and GAN. My Business teacher is always telling my class about it.

Another key thing in your exam is they always most definitely test you on your formulas. On BUSS1, they are always sure to test you on Breakeven. (I used to hate it so much last year, it's a complete nightmare!) The obvious formula for this is:

Fixed Costs
--------------- = Number of Sales need to breakeven
Contribution per unit

Contribution per unit is equal to your Selling price - your variable costs. It's called contribution as it's the money you pay to cover your fixed costs from what you've made from the sale.

I can post a few more but it's down right winded. I'll try and make a resource so that it's all on one sheet if you like. Hope that all helps. Just reply if you want the sheet/resource thingy. Thumbs up if this helps

Helps a lot thanks.
I will definitely spend some time going over formulas because they are the ones you either get 0 or 6 on. As for the rest of it I will just repeat things from the case study and hope it counts as application. Luckily I am dropping it this year so I just need an A. The UMS score doesn't matter.
If you have a resource sheet that would be helpful but don't go to any trouble, I can just get it out of the textbook.
Helps a lot thanks.
I will definitely spend some time going over formulas because they are the ones you either get 0 or 6 on. As for the rest of it I will just repeat things from the case study and hope it counts as application. Luckily I am dropping it this year so I just need an A. The UMS score doesn't matter.
If you have a resource sheet that would be helpful but don't go to any trouble, I can just get it out of the textbook.

Sounds a bit risky to go over all the formulas and try to wing the essay and expect an A. Analysis I've written above is pretty helpful if you give it a read. From past experience I can tell you that a small number of marks go to calculations on both exams. Will write up a formula sheet soon because I need one too!
Sounds a bit risky to go over all the formulas and try to wing the essay and expect an A. Analysis I've written above is pretty helpful if you give it a read. From past experience I can tell you that a small number of marks go to calculations on both exams. Will write up a formula sheet soon because I need one too!

I read what you said and I looked at my past papers that I have done in class (all of them) and I realised that nearly all of my marks lost are application and evaluation. My knowledge and analysis are always fine. I just need to repeat the case study more for application and at the end of each answer say why each of my points might be wrong/irrelevant for evaluation and that will be an A. It is more than I did for my mock where i got 78 UMS (high B) despite getting 0 on both calculations.
I do Economics which helps a bit with analysis and chains of reasoning, also my teachers are actually quite good. It should be fine once I have learned the definitions and calculations. In the past papers calculations where 6 marks out of 80 (which is 1 entire grade after UMS) and often they gain you marks in essays if relevant.
Here's a formula sheet I've made, I think all the formulas you need to know for BUSS1 are on there. Hope it helps :smile:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1qjb85a16aa3qsj/Calculations_for_Buss1.doc

Ergh im in the same situation!
Urm im just going to do the same and pray it has good questions!
Good Luck :K:
You don't need that much detail. You don't want to sound like a textbook. In my earlier comment, a lot about Business Studies is that your referring it to the business. I can't remember what this is out of, but you definitely have to paraphrase from the case study to support your assumptionsHope that helps(Give me a thumbs up if that helps!)
This is what I don't get. The questions not reffering to the business though it's his difficutly on forming an income budget...
When people say about content marks I have numerously read everyone say just state things from the case study. But every markscheme I have read said you can mark two points from the case study but if your points are well developed and in context and relate back to the question u can get full marks...dont just list things from the case study..
Reply 18

1. Don't ask rhetorical questions
2. Dont use "i.e" - (For example, ) is far better
3. "they taste of poo" isn't going to impress an examiner..
4. There's no evaluation
Original post by Revel
1. Don't ask rhetorical questions
2. Dont use "i.e" - (For example, ) is far better
3. "they taste of poo" isn't going to impress an examiner..
4. There's no evaluation

Ahaa about point 3 lol alryt. But it was an anlysis question on the june 2013 paper. How many marks would u give it? It was out of 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending