The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Physics exam - 19th May

Predictions for the 6 mark questions on P2/P3?

Scroll to see replies

For P3 I have a strong feeling it might be on the motor effect, but I really don't want it to be... I'm not sure about P2, what was it on last year?
P2 - Stars?

P3 - How to find center of mass? IDK :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by victoria98
For P3 I have a strong feeling it might be on the motor effect, but I really don't want it to be... I'm not sure about P2, what was it on last year?

hmm, i think:

for P2:

- Explain terminal velocity in full

-Explain why one car has a higher top speed than the other

P3:

- Explain how transformers work

thats all i have lol
It's gonna be an odd exam like how B2 and C2 were - they're gonna make big questions out of tiny topics. Ah this years science exams are so different compared to past papers, *sigh*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's gonna be an odd exam like how B2 and C2 were - they're gonna make big questions out of tiny topics. Ah this years science exams are so different compared to past papers, *sigh*.

Exactly i feel the same its gonna be hard how did your b2 and c2 go
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
P2 - Life of a star

P3 - Finding the centre of mass (using a plumb line)

That's my best guess..
Reply 7
Forgot about stars for unit 2!
Reply 8
Original post by FS97
P2 - Life of a star

P3 - Finding the centre of mass (using a plumb line)

That's my best guess..

Agree with P2, disagree with P3, thats a pretty small thing to explain I doubt they would give away 6 marks for that, perhaps 3...
Reply 9
Original post by John10000
Agree with P2, disagree with P3, thats a pretty small thing to explain I doubt they would give away 6 marks for that, perhaps 3...

There's a fair few steps to it, you could squeeze 6 marks out of it if you tried, they usually add marks for equipment needed etc.

C3 was pretty much the same, just explaining an experiment.
Original post by Sarina123

Exactly i feel the same its gonna be hard how did your b2 and c2 go
Posted from TSR Mobile

I strangely found B2 more easy than C2 - None of them were hard, despite the fact that I made many silly mistakes which will bring my grade down. I think the grade boundaries will be high as well. So annoyed with myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They've done life cycle of a star for the 6 mark, Jan 2013. June 2013 was advantage and disadvantage from this table, and terminal velocity was done too.
I think it will be either:
Discovery of nucleus
Alpha, beta and gamma particles
Fission and Fusion
Something to do with resultant force/car safety.
Reply 12
From looking at previous papers I'm guessing:
-Nuclear fusion + Life cycle of a star
-Momentum + Car safety
-Distance/Time and Velocity/Time graphs
-Electrical circuits with multiple components
-Alpha/Beta decay
-Household electricity
does anyone know any other topics that are most likely to come up? not just for six mark questions but others too
I did P2 in January 2014 and the 6 mark question was about using alpha radiation to measure thickness. They give the details of three different radioactive isotopes and then asked us to assess the advantages and disadvantages of each one for measuring paper thickness
I didn't do AQA Bio or Chem, but I'm doing Physics. Were there 2 six markers in the bio or chem papers? And were they harder than they normally are?
Two six markers in bio and yh they are harder so far. Hoping for low grade boundaries!
Reply 17
P2: How do circuit breakers and fuses work and what are their pros and cons?
Original post by John10000
P2: How do circuit breakers and fuses work and what are their pros and cons?

RCCB - Works by comparing the difference in current between live and neutral terminals and using electromagnets to stop the flow of current if the difference exceeds a certain value. Faster, doesn't need to be replaced.

Fuse - Works by melting and stopping the flow of current when current exceeds a certain value. Slower, must be replaced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by majmuh24
RCCB - Works by comparing the difference in current between live and neutral terminals and using electromagnets to stop the flow of current if the difference exceeds a certain value. Faster, doesn't need to be replaced.

Fuse - Works by melting and stopping the flow of current when current exceeds a certain value. Slower, must be replaced.

lol no i was suggesting a topic they may bring up for the 6mark question , i know how they work

Quick Reply

Latest