The Student Room Group

Edexcel History B American West Exam 23/05/14

Just wondering if any one has any clues on what the questions could be about this year?
Out of the three exams (medicine and treatment, surgery and AW) this is my weakest!
Any tips for revision day before the exam?!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't done GCSE history for a long time, but I remember there were 12 key dates in American West, if you don't know about that alreday. I have learned them all and made sure I understand what they meant in the big picture etc, and that helped a lot as I remember. It helps you remember the events and their chronological order, which is always good.

http://www.slideshare.net/DHUMPHREYS/the-12-key-dates-in-the-american-west
This powerpoint does a very good job.
Reply 2
Original post by cuppa
I haven't done GCSE history for a long time, but I remember there were 12 key dates in American West, if you don't know about that alreday. I have learned them all and made sure I understand what they meant in the big picture etc, and that helped a lot as I remember. It helps you remember the events and their chronological order, which is always good.

http://www.slideshare.net/DHUMPHREYS/the-12-key-dates-in-the-american-west
This powerpoint does a very good job.

Thank you so much! I didn't know there was key dates so I will have to have a search for them.
Original post by FHale
Just wondering if any one has any clues on what the questions could be about this year?
Out of the three exams (medicine and treatment, surgery and AW) this is my weakest!
Any tips for revision day before the exam?!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Exactly the same here, this is my big downfall which is mostly down to the lack of time we had to learn the course (around 2 months, we never finished and had to finish at home)
Good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 4
Original post by beckyrebecca
Exactly the same here, this is my big downfall which is mostly down to the lack of time we had to learn the course (around 2 months, we never finished and had to finish at home)
Good luck for tomorrow!

We didn't have long either! I didn't really enjoy it that much so hasn't been sticking in my brain! :frown:
How has your revision been going? Also, did you do medicine&treatment and are going to be doing surgery?

Good luck to you too!
Original post by FHale
We didn't have long either! I didn't really enjoy it that much so hasn't been sticking in my brain! :frown:
How has your revision been going? Also, did you do medicine&treatment and are going to be doing surgery?

Good luck to you too!

No we don't:frown: Thats how I feel, I enjoyed Medicine and Surgery so they stuck in my brain more but this just goes straight over my head.
How did you find the Medicine exam?
Hey. I'm doing the exam tomorrow too! My teacher compiled a booklet with 5b/6b questions and the topics that come up a lot are:the Sioux Wars,railroads,the homesteaders and the cattle industry. Most of the questions are slightly reworded but essentially ask them same thing. e.g. Technology was the most important factor in solving the problems of the Homesteaders. How far do you agree?

Railroads were the most important factor in solving the problems of the Homesteaders. How far do you agree?

Battle of Little Big Horn was a victory for the Sioux,how far do you agree?

Battle of Little Big Horn was a defeat for the Sioux,how far do you agree?

The discovery of Gold in the Rocky Mountains was the main reason for the Sioux wars. How far do you agree.

When answering them,you have first state whether you agree or disagree with the statement. E.g. If you think that technology wasn't the most important factor in solving the problems of the homesteaders,you still have to talk about the problems that technology solved,and then you go on to talk about other factors you feel were the most important. Your argument should be clear throughout and your conclusion should basically be you summarising your points and restating your opinion :smile: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Hey. I'm doing the exam tomorrow too! My teacher compiled a booklet with 5b/6b questions and the topics that come up a lot are:the Sioux Wars,railroads,the homesteaders and the cattle industry. Most of the questions are slightly reworded but essentially ask them same thing. e.g. Technology was the most important factor in solving the problems of the Homesteaders. How far do you agree?

Railroads were the most important factor in solving the problems of the Homesteaders. How far do you agree?

Battle of Little Big Horn was a victory for the Sioux,how far do you agree?

Battle of Little Big Horn was a defeat for the Sioux,how far do you agree?

The discovery of Gold in the Rocky Mountains was the main reason for the Sioux wars. How far do you agree.

When answering them,you have first state whether you agree or disagree with the statement. E.g. If you think that technology wasn't the most important factor in solving the problems of the homesteaders,you still have to talk about the problems that technology solved,and then you go on to talk about other factors you feel were the most important. Your argument should be clear throughout and your conclusion should basically be you summarising your points and restating your opinion :smile: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is amazing thank you so much! I have English Lit tomorrow as well so I am stressed and cramming in revision ah!

Good luck!
Original post by FHale
This is amazing thank you so much! I have English Lit tomorrow as well so I am stressed and cramming in revision ah!

Good luck!

You're welcome :smile: I have english lit tomorrow too! Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by beckyrebecca
No we don't:frown: Thats how I feel, I enjoyed Medicine and Surgery so they stuck in my brain more but this just goes straight over my head.
How did you find the Medicine exam?

Exactly the same as me!!
The exam was okay and better than I had expected, we also had a lot longer to revise for that exam... however, we will just have to try our best! We have one after this to boost the grade back up!
Reply 10
You're welcome :smile: I have english lit tomorrow too! Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too!
I also have the American West tomorrow, definitely my weakest unit! I find it more difficult because it's a short period of time and there are so many overlapping parts to it! The medicine one last week was really good but I'm so worried about this one! :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Random20
I also have the American West tomorrow, definitely my weakest unit! I find it more difficult because it's a short period of time and there are so many overlapping parts to it! The medicine one last week was really good but I'm so worried about this one! :frown:

Same as me! I think its in a lot more detail and like you said in a lot smaller period of time.. and i dont find it very interesting either! There is so much I still havent learnt/understood yet. My exam is straight after my English Lit tomorrow and I can't even leave the room.. ahhh!!

Good luck!
Original post by FHale
Same as me! I think its in a lot more detail and like you said in a lot smaller period of time.. and i dont find it very interesting either! There is so much I still havent learnt/understood yet. My exam is straight after my English Lit tomorrow and I can't even leave the room.. ahhh!!

Good luck!

What exam board are u on for lit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
What exam board are u on for lit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel I think but its called 'iGCSE'
Original post by FHale
Edexcel I think but its called 'iGCSE'

I'm on the same exam board :smile:
I know this isn't related to the thread, but which poems do you think will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I'm on the same exam board :smile:
I know this isn't related to the thread, but which poems do you think will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats ok haha I've heard :If, prayer before birth, la belle, the tiger, mother in a refugee camp, do not go gentle and remember (this is section C)
Original post by FHale
Thats ok haha I've heard :If, prayer before birth, la belle, the tiger, mother in a refugee camp, do not go gentle and remember (this is section C)

I hope The Tyger doesn't come up :frown: if it does,i'll probably end up doing the other question :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I hope The Tyger doesn't come up :frown: if it does,i'll probably end up doing the other question :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

its awful :frown:
How did you find the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest