The Student Room Group

Please help me with blood transfusions :(

Pleeeease can someone explain how AB is a universal recipient even though it has antigen A and B which would react with the A antibodies in B and O? Also how is O a universal donor if it too has antigens A and B which can react with antibody A in A and antibody B in B???? Pleeeeaae help :frown: thanks!!
Reply 1
You've completely misunderstood what's going on here.

You make antibodies against antigens that you don't have.

So if someone has type O blood, they'll make antibodies against antigens A and B. Therefore if you were to give someone with type O a transfusion from someone with type A, B or AB, those transfused red blood cells would be destroyed by the host (Mr/Miss type O) immune system. However, because type O has no antigens, it can be given to any of the others, hence the term universal donor.

If someone has type AB, it means they won't make antibodies against any of the antigens, because their immune system is tolerant. If it wasn't, the host's immune system would destroy its own red blood cells. This means that they can receive blood from A, B, AB and O, hence the term universal recipient.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kinkerz
You've completely misunderstood what's going on here.

You make antibodies against antigens that you don't have.

So if someone has type O blood, they'll make antibodies against antigens A and B. Therefore if you were to give someone with type O a transfusion from someone with type A, B or AB, those transfused red blood cells would be destroyed by the host (Mr/Miss type O) immune system. However, because type O has no antigens, it can be given to any of the others, hence the term universal donor.

If someone has type AB, it means they won't make antibodies against any of the antigens, because their immune system is tolerant. If it wasn't, the host's immune system would destroy its own red blood cells. This means that they can receive blood from A, B, AB and O, hence the term universal recipient.

But O has both antibodies? So won't the A antibody react with the A antigen in A?
Original post by Qaiys
But O has both antibodies? So won't the A antibody react with the A antigen in A?

When blood is donated, it's separated so only the red blood cells are given, not containing serum antibody.
Reply 4
Original post by Larynx.pharynx
When blood is donated, it's separated so only the red blood cells are given, not containing serum antibody.

omg really?? That's literally the answer to all my questions!! THANK YOU SO MUCH<3<3<3 why didn't it say this in my revision guide?!!?
Original post by Qaiys
Pleeeease can someone explain how AB is a universal recipient even though it has antigen A and B which would react with the A antibodies in B and O?

Because AB people do not make antibodies against A or B antigens.

If they did, they would destroy their own blood.

They only make antibodies against foreign antigens. A and B antigens are not foreign to people with AB blood.

So they can receive A or B.
Original post by Qaiys

Ah, I see what you've done :smile:

Yes O does have both antibodies; as the other poster said, that's why it will reject A, B or AB blood that is transfused into it. (O also has no antigens, though.)

But the antibodies are in NOT 'carried away with the blood', as it were - they are part of the body. It's antigens that go 'with the blood', if you see what I mean. So when O is transfused to someone with type A blood, to use your example, there will be no reaction because O has NO ANTIGENS to react with the type A blood's ANTIBODIES.

So basically, it's the antigens from the 'host' blood that react with the antibodies from the transfused blood, not the other way around as you thought - that's why you were confused :smile: so type O antiBODIES don't have any effect on type A blood because it's antiGENS that react with blood and agglutinise it.

I hope that that made sense and helped you out :s are you doing GCSE Bio OCR Gateway science B, B4-6 tomorrow? Bc I am and have also been revising this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lifescomplexity

Yes O does have both antibodies; as the other poster said, that's why it will reject A, B or AB blood that is transfused into it. (O also has no antigens, though.)

But the antibodies are in NOT 'carried away with the blood', as it were - they are part of the body. It's antigens that go 'with the blood', if you see what I mean. So when O is transfused to someone with type A blood, to use your example, there will be no reaction because O has NO ANTIGENS to react with the type A blood's ANTIBODIES.

So basically, it's the antigens from the 'host' blood that react with the antibodies from the transfused blood, not the other way around as you thought - that's why you were confused :smile: so type O antiBODIES don't have any effect on type A blood because it's antiGENS that react with blood and agglutinise it.

I hope that that made sense and helped you out :s are you doing GCSE Bio OCR Gateway science B, B4-6 tomorrow? Bc I am and have also been revising this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't strictly true. A person with type O blood has A and B antibodies in their blood, but these are seperated out via centrifuging. When red blood cells are given to a person, it doesn't need to be considered what antibodies their donor had, because they are not present. However, if plasma is given, that needs to be considered, because antibodies are present in plasma.
Original post by Qaiys
Also how is O a universal donor if it too has antigens A and B which can react with antibody A in A and antibody B in B???? Pleeeeaae help :frown: thanks!!

Blood group O has no antigens on the surface.

If you have no antigens on the surface then the body cannot create antibodies against it to destroy it.

Therefore, it can be given to anyone.
Original post by Larynx.pharynx
This isn't strictly true. A person with type O blood has A and B antibodies in their blood, but these are seperated out via centrifuging. When red blood cells are given to a person, it doesn't need to be considered what antibodies their donor had, because they are not present. However, if plasma is given, that needs to be considered, because antibodies are present in plasma.

Ok but I think in the GCSE exam, they are not looking for this.

They want people to understand the principle of the grouping system.
Reply 10
Original post by lifescomplexity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou!! And yup hahaha I am :P good luck!!!
Original post by Qaiys
Thankyou!! And yup hahaha I am :P good luck!!!

:biggrin: good luck to you too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending