The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Mature students 2014

Hi, I can't see any recent threads on mature students so here's my tuppence worth:
I'm 46 (yes, I did say 'mature'!) and have a conditional offer for the Foundation in Arts & Humanities. Have to take maths & English matriculation exams on Monday - not easy trying to revise for maths as it's been 30 years since I looked an equation in the eye. Oh and I squeezed in a late interview so I've only had 2 weeks to learn it all in, arrgghh!
Anyway, fingers crossed I get through, it means the world to me.
Are there any other old fogeys out there starting this September?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm 41 and got a conditional offer for English, Language & Education. Hope your exams went well!!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hi, I'm 32 and I'm starting a PhD in Social Policy.
Reply 3
I'm 26 and have a conditional offer for Biological Sciences :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I'm 24 and I got an unconditional for Electronic and Electrical Engineering. Any chance someone else here will be on the course?
Reply 5
I'm 30 and will be going to Leeds to study Radiography, subject to results. What are you all doing for accommodation? I've applied for Lupton.
Original post by Darkwater
I'm 26 and have a conditional offer for Biological Sciences at Leeds :smile:

High five. I am 26 & I will be studying maths this year :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by universal_set
High five. I am 26 & I will be studying maths this year :smile:

High five! Good choice on going to Leeds.. Are you planning on staying in halls?
Original post by Darkwater
High five! Good choice on going to Leeds.. Are you planning on staying in halls?

Sorry, I will not be at Leeds.
Reply 9
Original post by Peanut83
I'm 30 and will be going to Leeds to study Radiography, subject to results. What are you all doing for accommodation? I've applied for Lupton.

I live just outside of Leeds so it's handy. Sat the matriculation exams last week, English no prob but the maths was hard. Results next week, am already working on my begging/grovelling speech to Uni if I don't get the maths grade & have to resit (I mean, come on, how many isosceles triangles am I going to meet on a HISTORY degree....)
Reply 10
Passed my exams!
Rang Uni, I'm IN!!!

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

Anyone doing the Kickstart day this Friday?
Reply 11
Hey y'all! :biggrin:
I've just turned 30 (eek!) and finished first year in Psychology. If you guys have any questions or worries or whatever just give me a shout! I might be able to help :smile:
Original post by katiegud
Hi, I'm 32 and I'm starting a PhD in Social Policy.

Hi~~I'm going to start a MA in Journalism. I also wish to pursue a PhD in sociology afterwards.:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Ehd
Passed my exams!
Rang Uni, I'm IN!!!

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

Anyone doing the Kickstart day this Friday?

Hi! I'm 23 so technically on the young side of the mature students! I've just done a successful interview for the BA in contemporary and professional studies and have been advised to do kickstart in a few weeks just before the semester starts. I also have been told I need to do the matriculation tests. How did you find them? Was kickstart useful?

Thanks and congrats!! :smile:
Reply 14
The Kickstart was really useful for me - it teaches you how to write an essay for university using the correct techniques (lay out, referencing etc). It was easy to complete & ends with having to write a 1000 word essay on a topic, basically to show you've picked up some rudimentary skills. The matriculation exams were a 3 hour maths (higher level gcse), I used BBC bitesize to revise, you only need 50% to pass and you are allowed a calculator, I scraped through as maths is my Achilles heel......This is followed by a 2 hour English exam (read a passage, answer some questions, rewrite the passage in less words, write a short story)
Best of luck :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 15
Wow! They sent me a practice paper saying 1 hour 15 minutes on it! Glad I came on here or that would have been a bit of a shock! Lol
I wasn't sure what to expect of the kick start but could definitely do with some tips on referencing etc!
Thanks for the advice :smile:
34 and about to study Earth Science at Glasgow Uni
Reply 17
Original post by carm8833
Wow! They sent me a practice paper saying 1 hour 15 minutes on it! Glad I came on here or that would have been a bit of a shock! Lol
I wasn't sure what to expect of the kick start but could definitely do with some tips on referencing etc!
Thanks for the advice :smile:

If they've sent you a practise paper for 1 hour 15 then I think you will be doing the numeracy test rather than the higher gcse one. The centre will give you all the details, it seems to depend on which course you've chosen - good luck, I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours!
Reply 18
Original post by Ehd
If they've sent you a practise paper for 1 hour 15 then I think you will be doing the numeracy test rather than the higher gcse one. The centre will give you all the details, it seems to depend on which course you've chosen - good luck, I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours!

Thank you! It is the numeracy and literacy tests I'm doing, thank god!! :P
Reply 19
Original post by Gillybop
34 and about to study Earth Science at Glasgow Uni

Good luck with the course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest