The Student Room Group

State school kids are less intelligent than other types. Discuss.

Is it true that state(meaning here average comps and below, excluding grammar, so non-selective maintained schools) school students academically are less able than private/grammar/boarding/private candidates.

I am classifying grammar schools to be separate to state, i.e. King Edwards, Colchester Grammar go under grammar and not state.

Also not including schools like K12 and those that have high entry requirements for students i.e. Hills etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/leaguetables/10590089/Top-100-secondary-schools-by-A-level-results-2013.html

Obviously I know of some users in particular here, who are extremely smart and go to state comps, but on the whole state=worse :yep: Big picture guys.

Also plz none of the James Dyson, Alan Sugar responses - talking about the current crop, plus those entrepreneurs had great ideas anyway.

Discuss.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How well do the private school kids do once they leave their cosy, mollycoddled environment though. :sly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26773830

:eviltongue:
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Is it true that state school students academically are less able than private/grammar/boarding/private candidates.
If they're not, they should ask for their money back from whoever writes their admission tests.
No, they just don't have the money to afford public school.
Greenhead's 5 A*-C from feeders, not exactly mind blowing selection...

Also, why on Earth have you taken 'state' when there's the perfectly good word 'comprehensive' which actually means what you appear to want state/maintained to mean?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Leftee
How well do the private school kids do once they leave their cosy, mollycoddled environment though. :sly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26773830

:eviltongue:

Aren't grades everything to learning though?

Fair point, is that true for the good unis though in UK, i.e. Oxbridge,LSE (and Imperial).

Original post by Observatory
If they're not, they should ask for their money back from whoever writes their admission tests.

For unis?
Considering that many private and all grammar schools are selective based on academic ability, it is an unfair comparison to make. Also, the standards of teaching, on the whole, tend to be better in grammar/private schools thus meaning state school kids at a 'worse' school do not have the same opportunity to fulfill their academic potential.
private/grammar/boarding/private candidates.

Discuss.

Thank you for demonstrating that those tens of thousands of pounds and privilege have been well spent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Le Nombre
Greenhead's 5 A*-C from feeders, not exactly mind blowing selection...

Also, why on Earth have you taken 'state' when there's the perfectly good word 'comprehensive' which actually means what you appear to want state/maintained to mean?

Wrong one :colondollar:

Here I meant state being non-grammar and non high requirement schools i.e. nothing worse than < 8 A stars @ GCSE

Original post by Sazzy890
No, they just don't have the money to afford public school.

Isn't public school free?

Isn't public school free?

Public school despite the name = private paid-for school :tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_(United_Kingdom)

Here I meant state being non-grammar and non high requirement schools

So state schools minus the well performing ones then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
Considering that many private and all grammar schools are selective based on academic ability, it is an unfair comparison to make. Also, the standards of teaching, on the whole, tend to be better in grammar/private schools thus meaning state school kids at a 'worse' school do not have the same opportunity to fulfill their academic potential.

Good point, I understand where you are coming from?

Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Thank you for demonstrating that those tens of thousands of pounds and privilege have been well spent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what you are on about? How am I demonstrating it?
I went to a state secondary school and I got better results than anyone I know. I now have a fully assisted place at a private sixth form and a lot of the people there aren't that clever. They've never had to fight for anything and don't realise how lucky they are. They might not be less intelligent but they are certainly less driven.

As for the private schools like Brighton College and Magdalen College School, they do well because they are highly selective. So obviously people are cleverer.

Think of Prince William. He went to Eton and got ABC in his A levels. Definitely Cambridge worthy results. Goes to show that private schools only care about their own profits.

I don't know what you are on about? How am I demonstrating it?

Because you can't even remember that you had already listed "private" and added it to the end of your list again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't it obvious that people from state schools are, on average, not as intelligent than those from private schools?

Considering a paid education is most likely to be better than a free one, students from boarding and private schools should be getting a better education.

And this:
Original post by Paralove
Considering that many private and all grammar schools are selective based on academic ability, it is an unfair comparison to makemake
Wrong one :colondollar:

Here I meant state being non-grammar and non high requirement schools i.e. nothing worse than < 8 A stars @ GCSE

No college requires that from its students, even the top ones like Hills Rd, PSC, Winstanley and Greenhead (which does select from non-feeders, but it's more like straight A GCSE to get in, though a lot have straight A*) don't ask for 8 A*.

So you meant non-selective maintained schools? Or comprehensives as they have been known since the mid-50s.

Obviously schools which academically select have a more academically able cohort than ones that don't, and indeed, legally, can't.

However, if you took some random middle of the road private school which can't select due to financial pressures the average intelligence would probably be very similar to that at Boggo Comp.
Is it true that state(meaning here average comps and below, excluding grammar) school students academically are less able than private/grammar/boarding/private candidates.

I am classifying grammar schools to be separate to state, i.e. King Edwards, Colchester Grammar go under grammar and not state.

Also not including schools like K12 and those that have high entry requirements for students i.e. Hills etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/leaguetables/10590089/Top-100-secondary-schools-by-A-level-results-2013.html

Obviously I know of some users in particular here, who are extremely smart and go to state comps, but on the whole state=worse :yep: Big picture guys.

Also plz none of the James Dyson, Alan Sugar responses - talking about the current crop, plus those entrepreneurs had great ideas anyway.

Discuss.

Private school kids are actually less intelligent, they have a lot more help to get their grades and with their uni applications, and this is clearly shown by the fact state schoolers do better at uni.

I'm not saying everyone at private school is stupider than everyone at state school, but that your average state schooler at uni is cleverer than your average private schooler at uni.

Cue pissy private school kids not admitting their privelage and getting mad that I pointed out people from state school have to put in far more effort to get the same grades/into uni.

Edit: On another note, very sad to see camp hill girls slipping well behind camp hill boys, we got better results the year I was there. This years girls have clearly let the side down.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sazzy890
Public school despite the name = private paid-for school :tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_(United_Kingdom)

oh ok :smile:

Original post by AstroNandos
Isn't it obvious that people from state schools are, on average, not as intelligent than those from private schools?

Considering a paid education is most likely to be better than a free one, students from boarding and private schools should be getting a better education.

And this:

Yeah, that's right.

Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Because you can't even remember that you had already listed "private" and added it to the end of your list again

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao :facepalm2: :facepalm: Private candidates as those who enter themselves for the exams, usually sit exams early and don't go to school - such as myself.

Original post by ZeniB
I went to a state secondary school and I got better results than anyone I know. I now have a fully assisted place at a private sixth form and a lot of the people there aren't that clever. They've never had to fight for anything and don't realise how lucky they are. They might not be less intelligent but they are certainly less driven.

As for the private schools like Brighton College and Magdalen College School, they do well because they are highly selective. So obviously people are cleverer.

Think of Prince William. He went to Eton and got ABC in his A levels. Definitely Cambridge worthy results. Goes to show that private schools only care about their own profits.

Excellent point, yep :yep:

Well done, for doing well for yourself :smile: Did you get a 100% scholarship?

Can I ask you, do you think that you would have done better in your exams if you had went to a better school?
Original post by AstroNandos

Not receiving a good education does not equate to being unintelligent. Intelligence is to do with the capacity to learn, not the quality of education. I bet if you put an intelligent state school student in a good school, their grades would go up.
Is it true that state(meaning here average comps and below, excluding grammar) school students academically are less able than private/grammar/boarding/private candidates.

Discuss.

I'll tell you what it is - private school pupils are spoon fed more and because of smaller classes are given more time as individuals. A bright state school kid has to achieve the same but more on their own - so arguably the state school pupil is brighter.

I have had experience of both systems - private for primary, state for secondary and my sister in law sent all 4 of her kids to private schools.

Her eldest did OK and got to a decent university with 3 Bs at A level. Her second got CCC after 4 years of A levels, her third has just failed his GCSE English for the second time and got mainly Bs and Cs for the rest of them. The 4th is just about to start GCSEs so we will await the outcome.

My eldest at a state school got decent results and went to a Russell Group, my second studied physics at Russell Group - A*AB; and my youngest is studying maths at a Russell Group A*A*A. What she tells me is that the private school pupils struggle at uni because they are no longer being spoon fed.

There are a heck of a lot of very stupid private school kids around who are only in that school because their parents have money

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending