The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
Yups lol

Btw are you excited about uni? :wink:

Super excited actually. I am currently in the USA, and having a great time alhamdullilah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by straw-struck
Super excited actually. I am currently in the USA, and having a great time alhamdullilah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Always wanted to visit USA. What state are you in? What are your impressions of Americans in general so far? Visiting family or just like a random holiday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Always wanted to visit USA. What state are you in? What are your impressions of Americans in general so far? Visiting family or just like a random holiday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's both a little travelling experience for my Gap year, as well visiting family. And I am currently in Boston, and it's pretty amazing actually. Very few Somalis, and my accent is pretty interesting to everybody.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Biryani007
Video from the meetup...these girls are crazyyy :rofl:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nIe4rBdJlY8

Lol I went to that, it was so fun and I finally got to meet them at their third meet and greet location :smile:
The only thing that I didn't like was that whenever a girl would ask for a kiss Adam would do it, even if it's for a picture he shouldn't have done that.
Yup this is indeed the sad truth :colondollar: somali women need to stay fit and not let themselves go after marriage! Maybe then the men would spend less time in the makhaayads and there would be lower divorce rates loool

Spoiler

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
Original post by rahim1232
Meee!

Good Luck for your results, insha allah you get amazing results that you were working for :smile:
Question for somalis - why do some somalis hate on the reer xamar tribe and vice versa? There are stereotypes that reer xamars look down on other somali tribes but idk..

Well my family being from that tribe and all, I think it's because other Somalis don't accept us as being true Somalis. My parents told me that at school all the reer xamar kids would get picked on and told to go back to Yemen, they would even get beat up.

And to answer the second question, yes they do look down upon other Somalis because they (some not all) think they are better then them. This is why the majority of them marry each other as horrible as it sounds its mainly cousins marrying cousins. They want there blood to remain pure and also they think Somalis are ugly not trying to be offensive at all but this is the reer xamar mentality. I do not agree of course.

Do you accept reer xamars as Somalis yourself?

(I was looking through the TruestoryASA comments and came across you're question btw)
Original post by NOONA.
Lol I went to that, it was so fun and I finally got to meet them at their third meet and greet location :smile:
The only thing that I didn't like was that whenever a girl would ask for a kiss Adam would do it, even if it's for a picture he shouldn't have done that.

Aha how did you do it?! I would have suffocated in all that craziness :lol:
Really? But both are at fault I guess..why even ask for a kiss...I dunno, Allah knows best :redface:
Original post by NOONA.
Well my family being from that tribe and all, I think it's because other Somalis don't accept us as being true Somalis. My parents told me that at school all the reer xamar kids would get picked on and told to go back to Yemen, they would even get beat up.

And to answer the second question, yes they do look down upon other Somalis because they (some not all) think they are better then them. This is why the majority of them marry each other as horrible as it sounds its mainly cousins marrying cousins. They want there blood to remain pure and also they think Somalis are ugly not trying to be offensive at all but this is the reer xamar mentality. I do not agree of course.

Do you accept reer xamars as Somalis yourself?

(I was looking through the TruestoryASA comments and came across you're question btw)

Ah interesting :smile:
Yeah, I consider xamar people as somalis but i dont like how they look down on other somalis. I have a family friend who was treated badly by her husband's family because he was reer xamar and she wasn't. She now has an amazing husband though so alls well alhamdulillah :tongue: i've even been told by a few relatives not to consider marrying a reer xamar because of their 'superiority complex' but I think its just a sterotype and i'm sure they're not all like that as i've met some pretty nice xamari peeps (the men can be a little creepy though :tongue: )

Huh how lol. My youtube usename is my own name :s-smilie:
This girl deserves more recognition! So funny. Caadi ma'han lol
This girl deserves more recognition! So funny. Caadi ma'han lol

them eyebrows doe
Original post by HeavyTeddy
them eyebrows doe

I think they're ok..
hey guys some of my non muslim facebook friends have shared this on thier facebook profiles, and its basically some krazzy confused indian guy thats confused about islam etc etc its only at the end where u find out whats he is really saying/what he wants... #retard #heaintnomuslim

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204849308975393

i just dont know how to reply to ppl on this video any help
Original post by hugoalmeida
hey guys some of my non muslim facebook friends have shared this on thier facebook profiles, and its basically some krazzy confused indian guy thats confused about islam etc etc its only at the end where u find out whats he is really saying/what he wants... #retard #heaintnomuslim

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204849308975393

i just dont know how to reply to ppl on this video any help

He raised a point.. it's your job, if you feel to involve yourself in said debate to find a rebutal to that point. Then again, his initial statement is arguably validated by the following verse:

"And it is He who created the heavens and earth in truth. And the day He says, "Be," and it is, His word is the truth. And His is the dominion [on] the Day the Horn is blown. [He is] Knower of the unseen and the witnessed; and He is the Wise, the Acquainted." - [Qur'an 6:73]

To disprove his argument, you will simply have to prove that speech itself is a separate entity to his claim on its affiliation to what Jesus (PBUH) taught. Which in essence just debunks what he just said.

To be fair, he made some radical assumption which wasn't consistent to the topic at hand. Weird comparison but interesting nonetheless. I would post this in I-Soc and see there thoughts.
How did everyone do in their results?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
How did everyone do in their results?
any somalis going BRUNEL or city??
Original post by hugoalmeida
any somalis going BRUNEL or city??

I'm going City University London. Admittedly I'm not Somali :K:

ahhh well done!!! ahha you not?? Okaay...

i insured brunel missed my firm so currently im going there...

i just dont know if i should transfer to city university london... its location is better its a weee bit closer but i think brunel is a wee bit better for my course (civil engineering)...

what course are you doing?

What did you get??
I hope everyone got what grades they needed!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest