The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm worried as to whether I can apply for Vet Med this year. I got ABBB in my As, A in Biology B's in Maths Chemistry Spanish. I was only 2 UMS off an A in chemistry and 7 UMS off an A in maths... Does anybody have any advice please!?
Original post by Scottw97
Hi, I'm worried as to whether I can apply for Vet Med this year. I got ABBB in my As, A in Biology B's in Maths Chemistry Spanish. I was only 2 UMS off an A in chemistry and 7 UMS off an A in maths... Does anybody have any advice please!?

So long as you are predicted the required grades by your teachers then you may still stand a good chance.

If you got high Bs then it is certainly possible to get As overall in A2 year - have you identified why you got Bs and not higher?? Perhaps this is the most important think you need to figure out and work to change for next year. :smile:

Hope this helps.
Rode a horse for the first time in two years today :biggrin: . I had to give up due to money troubles (fair enough as it's bloomin' expensive :tongue: ) but the stable I'm at made me ride twice today and it was sooooo good :biggrin:

Did anybody watch Young Vets today? There's a lot of good TV on today actually, Secret Life of Dogs, The Dog Rescuers, and now I'm watching the Super Senses thing on BBC2 :smile:

AFAIK none of the vet schools have AS requirements any more (Liverpool took the b out of their AAAb requirements for the 2015 intake, which was a godsend for a lot of people including myself), so as long as you can get AAA predicted you'll be fine. In my school A2 predictions are one grade higher than AS achivements, so I don't imagine that asking to be predicted three As is at all unreasonable :smile: . As Silverstar said, just make sure you can identify why you didn't do as well as you'd hoped so that you can work on that next year :smile: If the Bs are really bothering you then you don't have anything to lose by getting a remark, especially in chemistry, but honestly I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage as long as you can get those As predicted :smile: .

Good luck!
I don't think Young Vets could have been much more rose tinted glasses tbh. It was an insight into the good bits of veterinary imo, it missed the late nights and mess ups etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just finished sixth form and got 3Bs in Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I resat all of AS biology and chemistry this year along with a geography paper which has helped get my AS grades from BBCD last year to AAAB this year (B in Economics). Therefore due to my AS grades I'm in a position where I am able to apply this September. During my gap year I plan on getting a job and going into sixth form on a part-time basis in order to get my 3Bs up to 3A's. I'm was wondering if there are any other people in a similar position to me who already have there A2 grades or are retaking and applying this year having finished sixth form/college? :smile:
Original post by fmdickens
I've just finished sixth form and got 3Bs in Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I resat all of AS biology and chemistry this year along with a geography paper which has helped get my AS grades from BBCD last year to AAAB this year (B in Economics). Therefore due to my AS grades I'm in a position where I am able to apply this September. During my gap year I plan on getting a job and going into sixth form on a part-time basis in order to get my 3Bs up to 3A's. I'm was wondering if there are any other people in a similar position to me who already have there A2 grades or are retaking and applying this year having finished sixth form/college? :smile:

I am reapplying this year with my A2 grades. Glad I'm not the only one taking a gap year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3066

I am too so that I can get my two B's up to an A but my college don't let me resit the exams I have to go back to college for a year aswell!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds like I have a pretty similar plan to you for this year. I just got my A Level results last week and got BBB in Biology Chemistry and Maths when I needed AAB for my veterinary medicine offer at Nottingham- I was devastated to say the least! After turning down a few offers through clearing for bio-veterinary courses at places like Glasgow, I decided to stay here for an extra year, do some resits and reapply for next September. I won't actually be enrolled in my sixth form; I'll just do the exams and can drop in to whichever lessons I like. I also plan to get a job and some exciting work experience. I hope all goes well for you this year! x

Hi! I'm reapplying this year after not getting any interviews for 2014... I was in a similar position to you last year and when i received my rejections I was quick to respond to the admissions teams and ask for feedback (Although this was a lot harder to do than you might think for some places)... Basically, my Sixth Form tutor thought it was my B grade in AS chem that was the problem, but after contacting the uni's, they all(except for Cambridge) said the same thing, that they don't even look at your AS grades- its all about your predictions!

So really, I wouldn't let those grades put you off one bit; If you've got all the WEX and other stuff, you'll be absolutely fine :smile:
Reply 3069
Original post by 13danielle
Hi! I'm reapplying this year after not getting any interviews for 2014... I was in a similar position to you last year and when i received my rejections I was quick to respond to the admissions teams and ask for feedback (Although this was a lot harder to do than you might think for some places)... Basically, my Sixth Form tutor thought it was my B grade in AS chem that was the problem, but after contacting the uni's, they all(except for Cambridge) said the same thing, that they don't even look at your AS grades- its all about your predictions!

So really, I wouldn't let those grades put you off one bit; If you've got all the WEX and other stuff, you'll be absolutely fine :smile:

Hi, do you mind me asking what your AS grades were and where you applied to?
I have got high B's in biology, maths, IT and a C in chemistry (2 marks off a B) and was planning to still apply. I have done work experience and my teachers said they would predict me AAAA.
Original post by Whooh1
Hi, do you mind me asking what your AS grades were and where you applied to?
I have got high B's in biology, maths, IT and a C in chemistry (2 marks off a B) and was planning to still apply. I have done work experience and my teachers said they would predict me AAAA.

Not at all, I had A's in Biology, Maths, RE and Spanish and B grades in Chemistry, Photography and General Studies.
I applied to Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham and Glasgow.

Honestly though, if your school will predict you AAAA and you think you can do it, the AS grades I don't think would be an issue... Are you thinking of re-sitting any units?
Can't believe summer is almost over :frown:
Reply 3072
Original post by 13danielle
Not at all, I had A's in Biology, Maths, RE and Spanish and B grades in Chemistry, Photography and General Studies.
I applied to Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham and Glasgow.

Honestly though, if your school will predict you AAAA and you think you can do it, the AS grades I don't think would be an issue... Are you thinking of re-sitting any units?

Yes I got a C in a maths, biology and chemistry on one unit in each so was going to retakes those to get them up to an A. I got A's in the other units.
just wondering if anyone knows if can you enter into vet medicine after completing a vet nursing degree at a college? do you have to have a specific grade upon completing the course?
thanks,
:smile:
What sorta UMS do you have to have to be able to realistically be considered for Cambridge? does it need to be 90+ for sure?
also, i have to do the bmat for 2 of my uni choices
does anyone have any good book recommendations? ive been on amazon and there are so many with mixed reviews
please help
thank you

I'd say go for it this year - it wont hurt, and if you are not successful, take a gap year. They see gap years as really good so you will definitely have a chance the second time round if you spend your gap year doing something worthwhile.
Original post by indianajones96
just wondering if anyone knows if can you enter into vet medicine after completing a vet nursing degree at a college? do you have to have a specific grade upon completing the course?
thanks,
:smile:

Hi,

I'd contact the universities individually to check. With some degrees that are deemed relevant enough the degree can be used as entry requirements - mostly this is people who haven't got good enough grades at a level. Generally you would need a 2:1 or 1st in the degree. But....I don't know as vet nursing is one of those courses - I think it isn't thought that there is enough scientific content in it, but equally my knowledge of entry requirements is getting quite old/out of date. Best thing to be totally sure is contact each you that you are thinking of wanting to go to and check. :-)
I've got my last week at a vets (mixed) before university application/ interviews etc. and wondered if there were any questions I should ask - I can think of loads of questions about the individual cases but can never think of any about the career as a whole etc. and wondered if you guys had any ideas? I think I will also take a personal statement draft with me and see if they will look through it :biggrin:
Just finished my last day at a stable :emo: . Gonna miss everyone.

Starting at a zoo tomorrow though woo :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending