The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Didn't do as well as you hoped? Advice here! 21 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by dash52
My ISA's are at A*/A grade so im sure taking 6 units wont be much of a hassle. However are my gcse's as it is good enough for medicine?

Your grades meet the requirements for many Medical Schools (have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements), but you'll need to apply wisely when the time comes. 6 units alongside your A-Levels will amount to a lot of exams next year. I'd suggest that you just concentrate on nailing your A-Levels now, getting work experience/volunteering work etc. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Your grades meet the requirements for many Medical Schools (have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements), but you'll need to apply wisely when the time comes. 6 units alongside your A-Levels will amount to a lot of exams next year. I'd suggest that you just concentrate on nailing your A-Levels now, getting work experience/volunteering work etc. :smile:

Thanks I'll weigh in your advice! Lastly, do you have any tips for my a-levels (all sciences and maths)
Reply 122
I got 7 B's and 4 C's, I have no idea what to do. My desired sixth form is a Grammar school and they are asking for a APS of 45, and I only have 43 but I meet all the other requirements. I have a choice to appeal but I feel i will never get my place.
hello everyone. I'm planning to take medicine, are these grades good enough?:
Maths:A
Science: BB
English:AA
French:A
DT:A
RE:A
History:B
German:C
Overall: 6A'S, 3B'S AND 1C.
Hey everyone

So these are my GCSE results:

English language A
English literature A*
Maths C
Science B
French A*
Spanish A*
History A*
RE A

I've just enrolled into sixth form to start these a levels:

English lit & lang, history, French, and either (sociology or psychology)

Bearing in mind that I self taught myself all of the gcses I took, I feel that attending a sixth form will allow me to achieve even higher grades.

I aspire to study Law in uni.

Are these grades/ a levels good enough?

& also which a level is better for me to study at A level.. Sociology or psychology?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I think they should be! 😊 I want to study medicine at uni too and these were my gcse grades:

Physics -A*
P.E. - Distinction* (A*)
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Maths - A
Food and nutrition - A
Media studies - A
English - B
Music - B
French - B
ICT - Pass (C)

Now off to sixth form to study chemistry, biology, maths statistics and food/nutrition😀 What are you studying for a levels?
Original post by olafcutex
hello everyone. I'm planning to take medicine, are these grades good enough?:
Maths:A
Science: BB
English:AA
French:A
DT:A
RE:A
History:B
German:C
Overall: 6A'S, 3B'S AND 1C.

Each medical schools require different GCSE requirements, some use a scoring system and many prefer AS grades.
With your grades I would recommend going for a university that doesnt use a scoring system (liverpool, lancaster, keele, cardiff, bristol, birmingham) or ones that place loads of emphasis on GCSE's as you will be up against strong GCSE candidates (6+ A* grades)
these universities are usually the ones that do not require the UKCAT exam, so you would also need to do really good in that to be able to apply to universities which do not look at GCSE grades loads.
Your grades are great, and im not trying to be horrible, I just want you to be prepared for the reality. Im applying this year with 11A* grades, and from talking to medical schools, im not alone, many have similar if not better grades.
Medicine is so competitive and 60% of applicants get four rejections in once admissions cycle.
I would reccomend going away and really researching medical schools that dont look at GCSE grades.
Original post by baaboo999
Yeah I think they should be! ������ I want to study medicine at uni too and these were my gcse grades:

Physics -A*
P.E. - Distinction* (A*)
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Maths - A
Food and nutrition - A
Media studies - A
English - B
Music - B
French - B
ICT - Pass (C)

Now off to sixth form to study chemistry, biology, maths statistics and food/nutrition������ What are you studying for a levels?

as i just posted to another prospective medicine applicant. medicine is very competative and most applicants have 6+ A* grades.
I would definitely say you could apply, but you will need a good UKCAT score and good AS grades. I would also reccomend you avoid GCSE crazy universities (liverpool, lancaster, cardiff, birmingham, bristol etc.) as they often use GCSE scoring systems and want the highest grades possible, Leicester also use a scoring system which favour candidates with high GCSE's so that might be one to avoid. at these universities you need quite high points, which equate to around 6A* grades and multiple A's and often B's carry no points.
the B in english may also stop you applying to some universities that want A/A* in english.
you will need to do a lot of research but your grades look promisising
I want to do medicine in uni and I've got:
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A*
R.E - A*
Business Studies - A
Geography - A*
Chinese - A*

Health and Social Care (BTEC) - Distinction*
OCR ICT Nationals - Distinction

so overall: 9 A*, 1 A & 1 distinction* and 1 distinction (although I doubt unis will look at these two at all)

is this enough to do medicine at top unis like oxford, ucl, imperial etc. ????
my grades are the best in my year at my school but I've seen others at other schools get 14 A*/A GCSE's so mine don't even compare to theirs. :frown:
also since two of my qualifications aren't even gcses, although they are the top grades, they probably won't even be counted. and the fact that I am of chinese ethnicity (despite having lived in the UK for the majority of my life and not knowing chinese), will they count the chinese gcse??
Original post by rose7812
I want to do medicine in uni and I've got:
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A*
R.E - A*
Business Studies - A
Geography - A*
Chinese - A*

Health and Social Care (BTEC) - Distinction*
OCR ICT Nationals - Distinction

so overall: 9 A*, 1 A & 1 distinction* and 1 distinction (although I doubt unis will look at these two at all)

is this enough to do medicine at top unis like oxford, ucl, imperial etc. ????
my grades are the best in my year at my school but I've seen others at other schools get 14 A*/A GCSE's so mine don't even compare to theirs. :frown:
also since two of my qualifications aren't even gcses, although they are the top grades, they probably won't even be counted. and the fact that I am of chinese ethnicity (despite having lived in the UK for the majority of my life and not knowing chinese), will they count the chinese gcse??

Your grades are identical to mine (apart from i got 2distnction* because i did a dual award), well done you did really well.
I would definetly say you have a great chance with getting into university, especially oxford. but i will warn you, oxbridge is very traditional, and getting into the pre med doesnt mean you automatically get it to clinical med, you do have to reapply, and if you dont get it again getting into other universities half way through a course is really hard.
they will count your chinese GCSE, often they take the best of like 8/9 gcses to compare, this stops candidates who were allowed to take like 17 GCSE's being at an advantage to those who couldnt.
The universities you want to apply to use the BMAT exam which is a risky exam, because you have already applied to the university before you sit the exam, but many do well, it just clashes with A2 studies.
with your grades those universities might not be the best choices (apart from oxford) because they dont place much emphasis on GCSE results, its more of a tick box thing that you met their GCSE requirements and they are more scrutinizing on personal statement and entrance exam results etc.
you definetly have a good shot, but i would look around and do some research into universities that like high GCSE scores!
Original post by Natalierm2707
Your grades are identical to mine (apart from i got 2distnction* because i did a dual award), well done you did really well.
I would definetly say you have a great chance with getting into university, especially oxford. but i will warn you, oxbridge is very traditional, and getting into the pre med doesnt mean you automatically get it to clinical med, you do have to reapply, and if you dont get it again getting into other universities half way through a course is really hard.
they will count your chinese GCSE, often they take the best of like 8/9 gcses to compare, this stops candidates who were allowed to take like 17 GCSE's being at an advantage to those who couldnt.
The universities you want to apply to use the BMAT exam which is a risky exam, because you have already applied to the university before you sit the exam, but many do well, it just clashes with A2 studies.
with your grades those universities might not be the best choices (apart from oxford) because they dont place much emphasis on GCSE results, its more of a tick box thing that you met their GCSE requirements and they are more scrutinizing on personal statement and entrance exam results etc.
you definetly have a good shot, but i would look around and do some research into universities that like high GCSE scores!

thank you so much, that was extremely helpful! what stage are you currently at in this process? I'm assuming you are also doing medicine or want to do medicine since you know so much about it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

also, where did you find out about 'often they take the best of like 8/9 gcses to compare, this stops candidates who were allowed to take like 17 GCSE's being at an advantage'? I've heard that they look at the number of A* you have and the proportion of A* that you have (at oxford), but I've never heard that they only take in a certain amount. This does seem logical though. Also, the average number of applicants to oxford get 10 A*, am I at a disadvantage? Most of my knowledge on this process is primarily in relation to oxford as that is definitely my first choice uni (if I stand a chance at getting in)
Original post by rose7812
thank you so much, that was extremely helpful! what stage are you currently at in this process? I'm assuming you are also doing medicine or want to do medicine since you know so much about it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

also, where did you find out about 'often they take the best of like 8/9 gcses to compare, this stops candidates who were allowed to take like 17 GCSE's being at an advantage'? I've heard that they look at the number of A* you have and the proportion of A* that you have (at oxford), but I've never heard that they only take in a certain amount. This does seem logical though. Also, the average number of applicants to oxford get 10 A*, am I at a disadvantage? Most of my knowledge on this process is primarily in relation to oxford as that is definitely my first choice uni (if I stand a chance at getting in)

I am currently just about to apply for 2015 entry and have been researching all summer the best places for me to get looked at, and honestly with my GCSE grades i need to play on that strength, thats what applying to medicine requires really, playing to your strengths. I didnt do too well in the UKCAT so i wont be applying to UKCAT heavy universities.

In terms of universities only looking at 8/9 GCSE's, I am getting this information from my own research. not all universities do this, but the ones that score your GCSE's using a point system (lancaster, liverpool, Leicester, cardiff, bristol and some others) do use this system. but be warned not all do, and oxford definetly do not.

in terms of the 10A* rule for oxford, it does help the more you have. but 9A* grades is amazing and oxford would definetly consider that, with medicine many get in with lower GCSE grades.

you have honestly picked the most competitive subject to study, so i would pick your universities wisely and play to your strengths.

for now i wouldnt worry about this until next summer, i would focus on getting work experience and doing well at AS to make A2 easier.

good luck!
Reply 132
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Natalierm2707
as i just posted to another prospective medicine applicant. medicine is very competative and most applicants have 6+ A* grades.
I would definitely say you could apply, but you will need a good UKCAT score and good AS grades. I would also reccomend you avoid GCSE crazy universities (liverpool, lancaster, cardiff, birmingham, bristol etc.) as they often use GCSE scoring systems and want the highest grades possible, Leicester also use a scoring system which favour candidates with high GCSE's so that might be one to avoid. at these universities you need quite high points, which equate to around 6A* grades and multiple A's and often B's carry no points.
the B in english may also stop you applying to some universities that want A/A* in english.
you will need to do a lot of research but your grades look promisising

Yeah trust me, I've done a lot of research! I do understand that my gcse grades aren't quite up to a fantastic standard of most medicine applicants, but my dream is to become a doctor and by damn am I gonna make sure I achieve it!:biggrin:
I'm going to work so hard to get 4 A's in my AS levels and then hopefully try and achieve A*AA at A2 level, or AAA at the least!
I'm also going to be doing some volunteering work in a local hospital so that'll give me an extra boost on my application:smile:
Hi I'm in Year 11 now and last year I did my core science and got a C. I got Bs in Biology and Chemistry and Cs in Physics and my ISA. I was quite happy but I'm not sure if I can still do Biology and Chemistry for A-levels. Please help because I'm not sure If I need a B in these subjects or a B in overall science??
Original post by baaboo999
Yeah trust me, I've done a lot of research! I do understand that my gcse grades aren't quite up to a fantastic standard of most medicine applicants, but my dream is to become a doctor and by damn am I gonna make sure I achieve it!:biggrin:
I'm going to work so hard to get 4 A's in my AS levels and then hopefully try and achieve A*AA at A2 level, or AAA at the least!
I'm also going to be doing some volunteering work in a local hospital so that'll give me an extra boost on my application:smile:

The only reason I am being so negative is because 60% of people every year get four rejections from medical school, and some of these people had axing GCSE's so there definetly are people applying with 6a*'s or more.
The best thing to do would be to thoroughly do your research as to which medical school place less emphasis on GCSE.
What also might be a good idea is to take a gap year and apply in that year, as then your GCSE grades are not even looked at or taken into consideration by most universities. And to do this you need at least AAA if not more at A2 to appear competitive to universities.
It really is a cruel system and it is horrifically unfair, trust me because I'm going through it right now and am pretty much expecting 4 rejections.
Original post by student2510
Hi I'm in Year 11 now and last year I did my core science and got a C. I got Bs in Biology and Chemistry and Cs in Physics and my ISA. I was quite happy but I'm not sure if I can still do Biology and Chemistry for A-levels. Please help because I'm not sure If I need a B in these subjects or a B in overall science??

It depends on your college, each has different requirements, my college is heavily oversubscribed and thus only let people who got a B in science or above take chemistry and biology, but most colleges let people take these subjects with a C at GCSE
Original post by Anisa13400
Hey everyone

So these are my GCSE results:

English language A
English literature A*
Maths C
Science B
French A*
Spanish A*
History A*
RE A

I've just enrolled into sixth form to start these a levels:

English lit & lang, history, French, and either (sociology or psychology)

Bearing in mind that I self taught myself all of the gcses I took, I feel that attending a sixth form will allow me to achieve even higher grades.

I aspire to study Law in uni.

Are these grades/ a levels good enough?

& also which a level is better for me to study at A level.. Sociology or psychology?

Your grades are great: the maths is a C which is the minimum,ie Law isn't heavily mathematical (I would imagine). You have good English and language grades, which will be looked at in a bright light, which is obviously good to be a lawyer, as long as you get good A levels, I couldn't see why your gcse's would interfere, hope that helps.
- My relative got a law degree, and she got a C at maths and slightly less A* than you, but that's all I know about how she got into law.

As for A level choices, I'm not sure which one is better since I took things like Maths(I don't want to become a lawyer) have you got a careers center in school/sixth form as they could most likely help, also make sure you pick the one you enjoy the most that will benefit you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, i got 4A* 4A 3B and a C in english language.
Would universities reject me for getting a C even though they state on their website 'you need a minimum of a C'
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest