The Student Room Group

Reapplication Timeline for medicine

Could someone please give me an idea on what your reapplication timeline for medicine after a gap year was if you were in year 13?

I had 4 interviews and 3 rejections and I'm not very hopeful on getting an offer because I don't think I did very well/I would like to prepare for the worst.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
hi :smile:
first things first, congratulations on even completing the medicine application process because it’s definitely one of the toughest processes to get through - i hope you get the outcome you want from your 4th choice!

i was in year 13 last year and received 3 pre interview rejections and 1 post interview rejection. the idea of going on a gap year made me really upset and i didn’t know what i was going to do, but now that i’m on one, i can confidently say it’s been one of the best years of my life and has changed me for the better :smile:

here’s my reapplication timeline!
i received all of my decisions (rejections) by april last year. i knew i definitely wanted to do medicine but wasn’t yet sure which route to take. i focused all of my energy on my a levels for the next 3 months.

in ucas extra i applied to medicinal chemistry, which had a med transfer scheme, as a back up just in case. N.B. med transfer schemes are insanely competitive and do not guarantee entry into medicine.

my thought process for results day: if i get below AAA, i’ll do medicinal chemistry and try out the transfer scheme (or graduate entry).
if i get AAA or above, i’ll reapply to undergrad medicine.

18th august: results day. got the grades i wanted/needed. decided to give myself a weeks rest before prepping ucat revision.
booked my ucat.

27th august: began ucat revision using medify
28th september: sat my ucat exam
29th september - 3rd october: thoroughly researched universities and applied strategically (cannot stress this enough!!)
10th october: sent off my ucas application

nov-jan: received interview invites from all 4 of my choices :smile:
jan-feb: completed all of my interviews
feb-now: receiving + waiting for decisions from my universities - have received 2/2 offers so far!! i definitely think a gap year is the best thing you can do if things don’t work out. i’ve met so many amazing people and travelled to so many amazing places and there’s not a thing i’d change about not getting into medicine last year. if you really want it, i promise you will get it - even if the route to the destination isn’t linear :smile: wishing you the best of luck with everything!
Original post by zainaa
first things first, congratulations on even completing the medicine application process because it’s definitely one of the toughest processes to get through - i hope you get the outcome you want from your 4th choice!

i was in year 13 last year and received 3 pre interview rejections and 1 post interview rejection. the idea of going on a gap year made me really upset and i didn’t know what i was going to do, but now that i’m on one, i can confidently say it’s been one of the best years of my life and has changed me for the better :smile:

i received all of my decisions (rejections) by april last year. i knew i definitely wanted to do medicine but wasn’t yet sure which route to take. i focused all of my energy on my a levels for the next 3 months.

in ucas extra i applied to medicinal chemistry, which had a med transfer scheme, as a back up just in case. N.B. med transfer schemes are insanely competitive and do not guarantee entry into medicine.

my thought process for results day: if i get below AAA, i’ll do medicinal chemistry and try out the transfer scheme (or graduate entry).

18th august: results day. got the grades i wanted/needed. decided to give myself a weeks rest before prepping ucat revision.
booked my ucat.

29th september - 3rd october: thoroughly researched universities and applied strategically (cannot stress this enough!!)

feb-now: receiving + waiting for decisions from my universities - have received 2/2 offers so far!! i definitely think a gap year is the best thing you can do if things don’t work out. i’ve met so many amazing people and travelled to so many amazing places and there’s not a thing i’d change about not getting into medicine last year. if you really want it, i promise you will get it - even if the route to the destination isn’t linear :smile: wishing you the best of luck with everything!

Thank you so much, this is really motivating and I appreciate this so much!
Reply 4
Original post by melonlord.xx
Thank you so much, this is really motivating and I appreciate this so much!

you’re welcome, i’m glad it was of some help!! wishing you all the best with your future endeavours :smile:
Reply 5
Just read your post.
Really pleased it has all gone well for you this year
So far had 3 post interview rejections and expecting a rejection from the fourth.
Feel it was the interview part that has gone wrong
Do you have any advice on interview prep please?
Interview courses/ tutoring?
Planning a gap year and re apply.
Original post by zainaa
you’re welcome, i’m glad it was of some help!! wishing you all the best with your future endeavours :smile:

I just got a rejection from Manchester so your post is even more handy!
Reply 7
Original post by Beau20
Just read your post.
Really pleased it has all gone well for you this year
So far had 3 post interview rejections and expecting a rejection from the fourth.
Feel it was the interview part that has gone wrong
Do you have any advice on interview prep please?
Interview courses/ tutoring?
Planning a gap year and re apply.

hi, apologies for the late reply. im sorry to hear about your rejections but the fact that you secured interviews is an achievement in it's self :smile:

in all honesty, my gap year meant i had gained a lot of life experience as well as work experience which meant i had more to talk about in the interview. i felt better prepared to answer questions, as they sometimes mirrored things i had to deal with through work etc. going on a gap year also meant i had more time to reflect on medicine as a whole and i think naturally it made my answers a lot more thoughtful.
i also used this interview book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Interviews-Questions-Analysed-Multiple-Mini-Interviews/dp/1905812051/ref=asc_df_1905812051/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310970710731&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10173267716040292064&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-332661423756&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
which gave well articulated, thoughtful answers to common interview questions/scenarios as well as an insight in to a bunch of medical topics, so i would recommend that!
finally, practising is extremely important so make use of your friends and family!!

hoping your fourth uni pulls through. good luck :smile:
Reply 8
I just got a rejection from Manchester so your post is even more handy!

really sorry to hear that :frown:

if it's of any consolation, my gap year was also unplanned (meaning i received no offers) but i can confidently say it's been the biggest blessing in disguise! you'll be better equipped for the application process the second time round and it'll be less stressful. just focus on getting those grades to make it as easy as you can for yourself next year! good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by zainaa
really sorry to hear that :frown:

if it's of any consolation, my gap year was also unplanned (meaning i received no offers) but i can confidently say it's been the biggest blessing in disguise! you'll be better equipped for the application process the second time round and it'll be less stressful. just focus on getting those grades to make it as easy as you can for yourself next year! good luck :smile:

Another question: did you need to make another UCAT account to book your test again for the next year?
Reply 10
Another question: did you need to make another UCAT account to book your test again for the next year?

I have looked at this and no you don’t.You use the account you used last time. It says it on UCAT website.
Original post by zainaa

booked my ucat.

This is so helpful thank you so much for this!!!
Reply 12
Original post by amarachi.xx
This is so helpful thank you so much for this!!!

no worries lovely, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to pm me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending