The Student Room Group

M1 dynamics

Please help.
A block of mass 1.5 kg falls vertically from rest and hits the ground 16.6 m below after falling for 2 s. Assuming that the air resistance experienced by the block as it falls is constant , find it's magnitude.
I cannot get 2.25 N.
Please may you help and share tips?
Is there one simple way to solve all of the questions in M1 Dynamics Exercise 3B (Keith Pledger book)? For example, in integration in C2 (area under curves) you just need to know about substitution and how to find points of intersecting functions for example... And similar skills...

Scroll to see replies

Find the acceleration

Then use f=ma

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Find the acceleration

Then use f=ma

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do not know how to. I've tried various ways... using suvat. Please help.
Original post by MathMeister
Please help.
A block of mass 1.5 kg falls vertically from rest and hits the ground 16.6 m below after falling for 2 s. Assuming that the air resistance experienced by the block as it falls is constant , find it's magnitude.
I cannot get 2.25 N.
Is there one simple way to solve all of the questions in M1 Dynamics Exercise 3B (Keith Pledger book)? For example, in integration in C2 (area under curves) you just need to know about substitution and how to find points of intersecting functions for example... And similar skills...

You should always nominate a positive direction here because we're dealing with vectors. I'll take downwards as positive:

S=16.6
U=0
V=?
A?
T=2

You know what to do next?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should always nominate a positive direction here because we're dealing with vectors. I'll take downwards as positive:

S=16.6
U=0
V=?
A?
T=2

You know what to do next?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that all of the objects which fall or are lifted for example have downwards force given by w=mg where g=9.8 ms^-2
Does A=0? I ask this because it says the air resistance is constant...
I know that all of the objects which fall or are lifted for example have downwards force given by w=mg where g=9.8 ms^-2

If the acceleration was zero then the book wouldnt fall... Acceleration is zero only for constant speed. As the book falls it gains speed - it accelerates

Try and draw a diagram. The force going upwards from the book is air resistance (lets call it R). The force making the book fall is its weight: 1.5g. Now to solve the problem all u need to complete the diagram would be the acceleration which we dont know. Find the acceleration and Then apply F=ma by resolving vertically to find the air resistance (R)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

If down is +ve then there are 2 forces mg and -R (where R is air resistance)
Please help.
I cannot get 2.25 N.

I can't believe these are real questions.. gibberish to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please help.
I cannot get 2.25 N.

Side note: Lots of the answers in the M1 book are incorrect! So just be careful
Original post by Arithmeticae
s = ut + at^2/2...

Bad majmuh, bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bad majmuh, bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

???
???

I like JB, brah. U got a problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tried that and came up with 8.3 ms^-1. It turns out that is right if solving for a with the answer for R when taking downwards as positive. I do not know where I went so wrong... Thank you.
Do they say that the air resistance is constant as one may be lead to believe it would not be if there is acceleration (and non constant velocity)?
I tried that and came up with 8.3 ms^-1. It turns out that is right if solving for a with the answer for R when taking downwards as positive. I do not know where I went so wrong... Thank you.
Do they say that the air resistance is constant as one may be lead to believe it would not be if there is acceleration (and non constant velocity)?

the force from the book is its weight

air resistance acts in the opposite direction

when using f=ma, u get the resultant force so just resolve vertically

the constant air resistance tells you that the force is constant, so acceleration is also constant (but velocity is increasing ofc as there is acceleration)

They say this as you would not be able to solve the problem if AR was variable
the force from the book is its weight

air resistance acts in the opposite direction

when using f=ma, u get the resultant force so just resolve vertically

the constant air resistance tells you that the force is constant, so acceleration is also constant (but velocity is increasing ofc as there is acceleration)

Acceleration is always constant in M1 isn't it?
Acceleration is always constant in M1 isn't it?

yes

u wouldn't be able to apply the suvat equations if it wasn't

try mg-r = ma (as this is the resultant of the book's weight and the force from the ar) and then rearrange for r
(edited 9 years ago)
yes

u wouldn't be able to apply the suvat equations if it wasn't

try mg-r = ma (as this is the resultant of the book's weight and the force from the ar) and then rearrange for r

Thanks!
Justin bieber rocks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Please help.
I cannot get 2.25 N.

Quick Reply

Latest