The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-farhan
Basically you have a number of people eg10 people each paying a set and agreed amount of money to a shared sum of money, each person takes it in turn to take out the total sum of money and they keep paying weekly/monthly till they pay off all.
Eg 10 people agree to pay 400 a month and that total sum is 4000, when it is your turn you take the 4000 and pay until you have payed off the 4000 you took.:s-smilie:

Is this legal?
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Is this legal?

Not too sure of the legality of it:s-smilie:
But people esp aunties do it all the time
Original post by Chukkeigh
That is sly dangerous yanoe.

It is quite dangerous, heard stories of aytoo organisers running off with thousands of pounds and people getting ripped off.
It depends on how trustable the organisers are and how well you know them, and know where they live :jitsu:
(edited 9 years ago)
It is quite dangerous, heard stories of aytoo organisers running off with thousands of pounds and people getting ripped off.
It depends on how trustable the organisers are and how well you know them, and know where they live :jitsu:

Gosh that is sad.

Awwww, you getting bullied?

Yeah.. :frown:
Hmm let's see what the fuss is all about... Salaam a Pakis' just passing by
Original post by Anonynous
Yeah.. :frown:

How so?
How so?

I was being sarcastic. The work is just incredibly difficult and somewhat overwhelming. It's harder than I originally anticipated but then that's what I get for going to a uni that asks for 3 As. I don't know if I'm capable to an academic extent to cope with the rigour of the course. Our course hasn't even officially started and I'm feeling the intensity. I feel like I'm the dumbest in the class maybe? People say they understand what's going on in lectures but I'm there like wtf it goes to quick, even though I wake up at 6am in the morning to pre-plan the stuff we'll be working through in the lectures. I was nearly at a point to where I was crying from being unable to get to the proof for the sum of a geometric progression series where the sigma is k(1) -> k(inf). It's incredibly difficult, to say the least.
Basically you have a number of people eg10 people each paying a set and agreed amount of money to a shared sum of money, each person takes it in turn to take out the total sum of money and they keep paying weekly/monthly till they pay off all.
Eg 10 people agree to pay 400 a month and that total sum is 4000, when it is your turn you take the 4000 and pay until you have payed off the 4000 you took.:s-smilie:

My mum partakes in that, although with slightly bigger numbers. It's called playing Upatu, in our country. It's a saving mechanism. It forces you to not spend your money, until your payout where you can buy something of importance.
I was being sarcastic. The work is just incredibly difficult and somewhat overwhelming. It's harder than I originally anticipated but then that's what I get for going to a uni that asks for 3 As. I don't know if I'm capable to an academic extent to cope with the rigour of the course. Our course hasn't even officially started and I'm feeling the intensity. I feel like I'm the dumbest in the class maybe? People say they understand what's going on in lectures but I'm there like wtf it goes to quick, even though I wake up at 6am in the morning to pre-plan the stuff we'll be working through in the lectures. I was nearly at a point to where I was crying from being unable to get to the proof for the sum of a geometric progression series where the sigma is k(1) -> k(inf). It's incredibly difficult, to say the least.

Lol mate juss calm down a bit tho. It is not that deep.
Lol mate juss calm down a bit tho. It is not that deep.

It's nerve racking. I don't even sleep properly at night with the though that I might be spending ~£50k+ with the chance I may not even obtain a 2:1 at the end of the degree. I've heard stories of a lot of people dropping out of my course after first years because they underestimated the workload. 20% drop out rate, doesn't really sound to appeasing.
It's nerve racking. I don't even sleep properly at night with the though that I might be spending ~£50k+ with the chance I may not even obtain a 2:1 at the end of the degree. I've heard stories of a lot of people dropping out of my course after first years because they underestimated the workload. 20% drop out rate, doesn't really sound to appeasing.

Dude you are a mess. Big old mess that stresses too much. Taake a deep breath and juss chill once in a while or else you will burn out towards the end of the year.

Salaam ahmed. Long time. How you been? :smile:
Awwwwwww i feel so bad for you :frown:
Hope it becomes easier for you inshaAllah and this year goes smoothly for you. Ameen

My mum partakes in that, although with slightly bigger numbers. It's called playing Upatu, in our country. It's a saving mechanism. It forces you to not spend your money, until your payout where you can buy something of importance.

Wow, mashallah.
It must be an african thing:wink:, a nice easy way to save up and get cash when you need it.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Salaam ahmed. Long time. How you been? :smile:

Wa alaikum al-salaam.
How are you and how's uni?!
You must be loving QM:biggrin:
Wa alaikum al-salaam.
How are you and how's uni?!
You must be loving QM:biggrin:

Alhamdulillah im blessed. QM is nice. The first day was crap to say the least but tbh i was kind of expecting that because it was induction. I attended an isoc khutbah and a psychology soc event today which was really fun so hopefully the year will continue to get better inshaAllah :biggrin:
Alhamdulillah im blessed. QM is nice. The first day was crap to say the least but tbh i was kind of expecting that because it was induction. I attended an isoc khutbah and a psychology soc event today which was really fun so hopefully the year will continue to get better inshaAllah :biggrin:

Did you join the Somali society? I know it started this year, and two of my friends were actually involved in it.
Original post by straw-struck
Did you join the Somali society? I know it started this year, and two of my friends were actually involved in it.

Yeah i did haha. Oh cool :smile:
You started uni yet?
Yeah i did haha. Oh cool :smile:
You started uni yet?

That's great. And no, I am gonna enrol today and first day will be on Monday inshallah. When do you start ?

Quick Reply

Latest