The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
Shine✨✨

By getting everyone back in and chatting again!! Why did it quieten down in the first place do you think?:confused:
Original post by Lil08
Slightly board and unmotivated, how's it going with you?

Pretty good thanks, almost the end of the day and I am really looking forward to a big dinner! You got any plans for the weekend?
Thanks for the tag @Queencersei

Salam everyone, hope everything is going well!
Interesting that I got quoted into this thread :tongue:
Original post by Queen Cersei
Pretty good thanks, almost the end of the day and I am really looking forward to a big dinner! You got any plans for the weekend?

Family dinner? Oh, I will be studying over the weekend.
Original post by Lil08
Family dinner? Oh, I will be studying over the weekend.

Nah just me and a friend! Ohh what are you studying?
Nah just me and a friend! Ohh what are you studying?

Diabetes and neurology. I'm just waiting for the motivation to kick in.
Original post by Lil08
Diabetes and neurology. I'm just waiting for the motivation to kick in.

Wow that's really cool, I studied a module in neurology for A-Level and loved it but then did English at uni, sounds pretty hard though! :s-smilie:
Wow that's really cool, I studied a module in neurology for A-Level and loved it but then did English at uni, sounds pretty hard though! :s-smilie:

What year of uni are you in?

And it started to die down around early september when school started
Original post by justmyself

Heyyy sis. How are you?
What year of uni are you in?

And it started to die down around early september when school started

I've finished now! Ahhhh man, school gets in the way of all the fun!

It's actually not that difficult. The problem is time. We don't have enough hours in the semester to read and fully understand.

Ah English is very interesting.
Heyyy sis. How are you?

Heey! Drowning in essays and tests but okay, alx, what about you? How's uni going?
Heey! Drowning in essays and tests but okay, alx, what about you? How's uni going?

Im good alhamdulillaaah.
I'll message u x

How long did it take you to adjust to thw worload and essays at uni?

Im having trouble adjusting and its been 8 weeks :frown:

Hey girl! How yah been? Its been so long since we last spoke, including everyone else. Hows college going?
How long did it take you to adjust to thw worload and essays at uni?

Im having trouble adjusting and its been 8 weeks :frown:

Oh bless you, trust me that is 100% nothing to worry about!!! Uni essays are so starkly different from anything you will have done before it really is a gradual learning process, in all honesty I struggled into my second year and then suddenly I just understood and my grades went flying up for my third year and in my master! The best advice I can give you is to never miss an opportunity for feedback, hound your tutors for one-to-ones to go over your essays with a fine toothcomb, literally one session I had with a really lovely tutor in 2nd year gave me a boost from my draft essay from a low 2:2 to a first! Good luck with your next assignment and stay positive :smile:

How is English at 2nd and 3rd year? just started it this year and Im already so behind on readings :frown: it feels like so much to do. Any advice?
Original post by AnimeCrazy
How is English at 2nd and 3rd year? just started it this year and Im already so behind on readings :frown: it feels like so much to do. Any advice?

Haha it is much like you say... A LOT of reading!!! I enjoyed my third year the best though, people say the dissertation is difficult and it certainly is but I found with english that you invest absolutely tons of reading and research time into a 2,000 word essay that has to be produced very quickly! At least with a dissertation you can stuck in!

I didn't do half of the reading for my modules... the key for me was researching the books for each module and selecting to closely read the ones that I knew would be of real interest to me and therefore I would be more likely to write an essay on for my assignment. I found skim reading all the books a waste of time as I hadn't properly absorbed them so for instance I have never really gotten on with jane austen so instead of reading sense and sensibility for one module (I was never going to choose to write an essay on it) I read and reread Jane Eyre which I knew I loved and used for my essay in the end. It depends on whether you get to choose your own essays and also at my uni we were given the potential assignment questions early on in the course which made selecting what to read easier! I hope this is helpful!
Original post by AnimeCrazy
Hey girl! How yah been? Its been so long since we last spoke, including everyone else. Hows college going?

Heeey!! It has been a while, everyone disappeared lol, good, you? What are you doing atm?

Quick Reply

Latest